Rock Hard 4x4 JK Sport Cage Installation Write-Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
any concern with it not going all the way to the floor? I'm starting to look for a sport cage now and was considering poison spyder, but the price difference and the fact that it has to be painted is making me think about the other options

No concern at all. Of all the cages out there, the only one I have seen roll multiple times is a Rock Hard cage and it did great to protect its occupants. I too had considered the PS cage but have seen where it makes all kinds of noise. I wouldn't recommend it.

JK1

any concern with it not going all the way to the floor? I'm starting to look for a sport cage now and was considering poison spyder, but the price difference and the fact that it has to be painted is making me think about the other options
i guess i figure if it is good enough for Eddie then it is good enough for me :yup:

CCTX50

Wondering how much you have to modify your hard top on a 2013 JKUR? Anyone have any pics of the mod? Location?

JE8154

No concern at all. Of all the cages out there, the only one I have seen roll multiple times is a Rock Hard cage and it did great to protect its occupants. I too had considered the PS cage but have seen where it makes all kinds of noise. I wouldn't recommend it.

Fair enough, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it actually rolling. Guess that removes my doubts. Do you recommend getting the rear center bar as well or would just what comes with the cage be good?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Fair enough, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it actually rolling. Guess that removes my doubts. Do you recommend getting the rear center bar as well or would just what comes with the cage be good?

In all fairness, the factory roll bars will do a pretty good job of keeping the occupants safe in a roll. This guy rolled 20x and it kept him alive.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?7390-Jeep-accident-in-nj

Having said that, the more you add to it, the better it will do. The JK I'm referring to only rolled 3 full times out in Johnson Valley and the Rock Hard cage did an outstanding job of protecting it's occupants. If you carry rear passengers, I would add the rear center bar as well as it'll do that much more to protect them too.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Wondering how much you have to modify your hard top on a 2013 JKUR? Anyone have any pics of the mod? Location?

You need to trim the freedom panels near the front A-pillar to make room for the collar that attaches to the existing roll cage. You cannot see it with the top on. If my hard top wasn't stored for the summer I could grab you a picture.

You need to trim the freedom panels near the front A-pillar to make room for the collar that attaches to the existing roll cage. You cannot see it with the top on. If my hard top wasn't stored for the summer I could grab you a picture.

something i can do with a dremel and a sanding wheel right?

andrew -

MTG

Caught the Bug
Eddie, Which cage in your opinion is better, the Rock Hard or the OR Fab?

I'm not Eddie, but I've installed the Rockhard and have seen the OR Fab one first hand and am friends with a person who has installed it. The OR Fab one ties into the floor which is nice and would arguably provide more support/strength. The Rockhard one is significantly easier to install. Both will protect you more than the stock cage. As to which one will work better...that would be pure speculation as I have never seen a head to head test. :thumb:

JK1

whats Greg running in his and when he rolled on his side did any of the cage get hit or was it just window frame... just wondering

JE8154

In all fairness, the factory roll bars will do a pretty good job of keeping the occupants safe in a roll. This guy rolled 20x and it kept him alive.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?7390-Jeep-accident-in-nj

Having said that, the more you add to it, the better it will do. The JK I'm referring to only rolled 3 full times out in Johnson Valley and the Rock Hard cage did an outstanding job of protecting it's occupants. If you carry rear passengers, I would add the rear center bar as well as it'll do that much more to protect them too.

It seems like every picture I see of a jeep that rolled has the windshield and a pillars completely collapsed on the front seats. I'm planning on taking my girlfriend cross country to Moab next spring, I'm looking for that peace of mind that she won't get uglied up if I roll.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Eddie, Which cage in your opinion is better, the Rock Hard or the OR Fab?

I'm not Eddie, but I've installed the Rockhard and have seen the OR Fab one first hand and am friends with a person who has installed it. The OR Fab one ties into the floor which is nice and would arguably provide more support/strength. The Rockhard one is significantly easier to install. Both will protect you more than the stock cage. As to which one will work better...that would be pure speculation as I have never seen a head to head test. :thumb:

I installed the OR Fab in my own Jeep, and helped MTG with his RH (actually, I pretty much just watched him). Like MTG said, the OR Fab is much more difficult to install, especially if you want your stock interior plastic to look good. Honestly, I think it pretty much comes down to which look you prefer and how much time you are willing to spend on the install.

Alan30

MTG, I know you're not Eddie. He did a write on both of them and wondering what he thought. Thanks for your input though:thumb:

JK1

Oh for sure! I hope it works out for you. I just thought his videos were funny. "What's in the box?"
what was in the box a rear center cage....:grayno:... so i called and he said there were several bought and he emailed me a return ups label... something about amazon matched the wrong part number the the wrong price...oh well it was worth a shot :beer:

MTG

Caught the Bug
what was in the box a rear center cage....:grayno:... so i called and he said there were several bought and he emailed me a return ups label... something about amazon matched the wrong part number the the wrong price...oh well it was worth a shot :beer:

No harm, no foul then! Glad he sent a return label. The "what's in the box" reference was one of his other videos. Good stuff! LOL!

GCM 2

whats Greg running in his and when he rolled on his side did any of the cage get hit or was it just window frame... just wondering

I am running the Rockhard 4x4 bolt in cage. Unfortunately, I am not running any C-pillar add-ons or a rear crossmember that spans from left to right (driver to passenger) up high on the cargo area down tubes. The damage on EVOJEEP was; driver's side hood dented, driver's A-pillar dented, driver's side back door (very top rear corner) dented, driver's side top quarter panel where my EVO quarter armor can't cover (around the lip for the soft top to lock into.) The body was twisted a bit in the driver and passenger rear quarters, all because of the factory cage is tied into only the body and not the frame. So the energy absorb by the rear cage down tubes, transfered into the rear quarters and caused a very visible twist. Even if I had the rear sport cage sections, I think the damage would still have happened (maybe not as much). Mel Wade and I loosened the factory cage and did some adjusting with a winch and a hi-lift jack out in Johnson Valley that same day and got it back to about 90% show room floor straight ;) Sport cages do make a huge improvement over the factory cage, it is immediately noticeable after install because the jeeps body feels stiffer. However, tying into the frame is the only true protection for the occupants of the cab.

Attachments

• image-441401063.jpg
    image-441401063.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 531
  • image-4101325938.jpg
    image-4101325938.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 523
  • image-4142577819.jpg
    image-4142577819.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 523
  • image-1391879173.jpg
    image-1391879173.jpg