Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

The only extra armor I have are my EVO rock sliders which replaced my stock Rubicon sliders. I do have aftermarket bumpers and a winch but most overlanders have at least this with roof racks. My JK handles better now then when it was stock.

The only extra armor I have are my EVO rock sliders which replaced my stock Rubicon sliders. I do have aftermarket bumpers and a winch but most overlanders have at least this with roof racks. My JK handles better now then when it was stock.

And this is something I will agree with that there is times when extra weight is a good thing. I think however if you have to carry a lot of gear the extra weight can pass that balance sometimes.

Un sprung weight ( below your suspension) is a good thing. It helps keep your Jeep more stable. Like heavy wheels and tires for example.

Probably at least. I just have had other vehicles with skids and bumpers and winches and all of them it affected the handling which on a crappy handling vehicle out of the box like the JKU, I can't afford nor do I want those types of changes. So basically, IMO it can cause handling issues which is detrimental to my driving. That's all I'm saying. Everyone is different.

Hmmm, interesting. It sounds as though you are simply describing a family sedan, like a Ford Taurus. Not trying to beat you up with my comments, but the point of building any rig, be it a rock crawler or Overlanding style build, is to improve its capability. Simply taking the route of remaining stock is the shortest path to having the least capable rig in any environment. If in the past you did modifications and ended up with a vehicle that handled worse than what you started with, maybe you did something terribly wrong. My current set up on 40" tires will absolutely out handled any stock, and almost all modified rigs. So I can't see your point.

Yeah every so often someone comes along and try's to she'd some "light" on how they know the true definition of overlandlanding and an overland build. How their build is more suitable For "Overlanding." Truth be told we are all overlanders, but none could come close to Gregor The Overlander. Boom. THAT just happened. GCM2 said it best... Please read above for his words of wisdom. He's like a mind ninja!

Yeah every so often someone comes along and try's to she'd some "light" on how they know the true definition of overlandlanding and an overland build. How their build is more suitable For "Overlanding." Truth be told we are all overlanders, but none could come close to Gregor The Overlander. Boom. THAT just happened. GCM2 said it best... Please read above for his words of wisdom. He's like a mind ninja!

If you are referring to me as "someone" that comes along to shed light, then you are wrong. I just wrote my experience with modifying vehicles. I don't agree with everything said above, but my point was to come in and give my experience and not to discuss everyone else's theory on why I'm wrong which for my application I am 100% right for me. I will be sure to ask questions if I have any in the process of my build, but I have a plan which might be different from many. However, I can appreciate everyone's opinions.

If you are referring to me as "someone" that comes along to shed light, then you are wrong. I just wrote my experience with modifying vehicles. I don't agree with everything said above, but my point was to come in and give my experience and not to discuss everyone else's theory on why I'm wrong which for my application I am 100% right for me. I will be sure to ask questions if I have any in the process of my build, but I have a plan which might be different from many. However, I can appreciate everyone's opinions.

You are correct in saying every build is different and you should build to suit your needs. As for the rest of my post, if you care to read the many pages of this thread you'll see lots of hilarity and fun mixed in every so often with someone trying to define what an overlander is and why they are different than most of our builds. Don't be so sensitive.

You are correct in saying every build is different and you should build to suit your needs. As for the rest of my post, if you care to read the many pages of this thread you'll see lots of hilarity and fun mixed in every so often with someone trying to define what an overlander is and why they are different than most of our builds. Don't be so sensitive.

I'm definitely not sensitive, but I find it also funny because people even categorize their Jeeps. They are Jeeps and that's it. They are the coolest, funnest and biggest money pit I have ever driven. I know no matter how good I build my Jeep, I will be the main factor in its capability which I know I'm not the best. I hope I didn't come across as arrogant or sensitive. :standing wave:

if you care to read the many pages of this thread you'll see lots of hilarity and fun mixed in........ Don't be so sensitive.

Yep. Definitely been here before. Was it post 238? Maybe post 541? No wait, it was post 679.

It's heavily sarcastic and really without reason. But the thread is now just funny as hell.

Read a few random 50-75 posts of this thread. As frank said, this is all just fun and not meant in a literal sense to argue either/any side of reason.

I'm definitely not sensitive, but I find it also funny because people even categorize their Jeeps. They are Jeeps and that's it. They are the coolest, funnest and biggest money pit I have ever driven. I know no matter how good I build my Jeep, I will be the main factor in its capability which I know I'm not the best. I hope I didn't come across as arrogant or sensitive. :standing wave:

now see, this is exactly what it's about! It's an offroad vehicle, just build it up to your taste :thumb:

See, that's what I get for heading out to Hammertown for the weekend - I come back to see all the fun I missed out on the overlanding thread - I guess there's nothing for me to add now :grayno: :crazyeyes: :cheesy:

Top Bottom