RubiCAT Gettin EVO'd UP!!

JJM

Oh, believe me, we wanted to install an EVO Lever and DTD but at the time, the bolt on coil over kit had just come out and being that it was new, we wanted to test it out just so that we would have first hand experience with it. Having said that, we're ready to install Moby's old PR 60 rear axle and will install an EVO Lever at the same time. For now, we'll most likely just run it with single coil overs and add on bypass shocks in the future.

Thank you for the response. I plan to eventually put full DTD on my new Jeep I have ordered and I now know which direction to go. Thanks!

ChaosNein

So when you install the rear leveler does all the rear high clearance brackets need to be removed?
And with running a single bypass shock
Will that increase the open desert speeds or will it be about the same as the bolt on setup.

if valved as a stand alone coil-over and when used with REAR KING Air Bumps, you will be able to increase your off-roads speeds. The Bypass will greatly increase your higher speed performance ON & OFF road

JKbrick

Just passed being a member here for a year and it's always funny to read older threads from before I was around and see all the people I've never "seen" before

MTG

Caught the Bug
Oh, believe me, we wanted to install an EVO Lever and DTD but at the time, the bolt on coil over kit had just come out and being that it was new, we wanted to test it out just so that we would have first hand experience with it. Having said that, we're ready to install Moby's old PR 60 rear axle and will install an EVO Lever at the same time. For now, we'll most likely just run it with single coil overs and add on bypass shocks in the future.

Has overlander called dibs on the coil overs?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So when you install the rear leveler does all the rear high clearance brackets need to be removed?

No. If anything, the high clearance brackets were designed to be run with the EVO Lever.

And with running a single bypass shock
Will that increase the open desert speeds or will it be about the same as the bolt on setup.

Increase if for no other reason than the fact that you will have a greater amount of travel.

So will the evo lever allow more flex than the standard bolt on mounts? Will it improve high speed desert driving?

Almost 3" more flex and yes, it will improve high speed driving.

RamP

Now that you've had the bolt on Coilovers installed for a while do you have any long term impressions of the kit?
Was Rubicat a daily driver, and how have they held up?

Krieger

No. If anything, the high clearance brackets were designed to be run with the EVO Lever.

Increase if for no other reason than the fact that you will have a greater amount of travel.

Almost 3" more flex and yes, it will improve high speed driving.

I see, more wheel travel means bigger dips and higher speeds. I think when I upgrade to a prorock 60 I'll prob upgrade to the leveler at the same time.
Thanks for the info Eddie.

Asinine

Now that you've had the bolt on Coilovers installed for a while do you have any long term impressions of the kit?
Was Rubicat a daily driver, and how have they held up?

X2. Deciding coilovers or not, would be nice to get a long term follow up.

bjordaneer

X4! Would also like to hear your long term impressions and comparisons vs coils and the more expensive coilover setup

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To be clear, there really is no comparison between an EVO DTD complete with bypass shocks and a bolt-on coil over kit. I mean, that's like comparing apples and oranges but of course, the price difference between the two is significant too. A closer comparison would be the DTD setup with just single coil overs but even at that, you would still have about 2" more travel up front and almost 3" in the rear. If you can afford it, there is no question that the DTD is the way to go and in my opinion, there is NOTHING out there made by ANY other manufacture that can even come close to its performance on the rocks or bombing through the desert. NO other kit has a cantilever system that gets your coil overs up and out of harms way, no other kit allows you to set your ride height as low as the DTD and NO other kit will give you the 14" of vertical travel (full bump to full droop) that it provides as well.

Having said all that, I personally feel that the EVO bolt-on coil over kit works exceptionally well and in my opinion, there's nothing out there that performs as well as it (standard coil kit or even any other coil over setup) outside of the DTD. After 2 years and almost 60,000 miles of hard play, I can tell you that they still work great and have only damaged one rear coil over during that time. I have swapped in heavier springs in the rear since to help accommodate the extra weight I normally have on board but of course, that's one of the perks of running coil overs - they are adjustable and can be fine tuned to how you want them to be. I have had them rebuilt once as well but, that was more out of routine maintenance and not because I had any problems with them.

I don't know if I've answered your question or not but, if there's something specific you are wanting to know about, please let me know. :yup:

bjordaneer

To be clear, there really is no comparison between an EVO DTD complete with bypass shocks and a bolt-on coil over kit. I mean, that's like comparing apples and oranges but of course, the price difference between the two is significant too. A closer comparison would be the DTD setup with just single coil overs but even at that, you would still have about 2" more travel up front and almost 3" in the rear. If you can afford it, there is no question that the DTD is the way to go and in my opinion, there is NOTHING out there made by ANY other manufacture that can even come close to its performance on the rocks or bombing through the desert. NO other kit has a cantilever system that gets your coil overs up and out of harms way, no other kit allows you to set your ride height as low as the DTD and NO other kit will give you the 14" of vertical travel (full bump to full droop) that it provides as well.

Having said all that, I personally feel that the EVO bolt-on coil over kit works exceptionally well and in my opinion, there's nothing out there that performs as well as it (standard coil kit or even any other coil over setup) outside of the DTD. After 2 years and almost 60,000 miles of hard play, I can tell you that they still work great and have only damaged one rear coil over during that time. I have swapped in heavier springs in the rear since to help accommodate the extra weight I normally have on board but of course, that's one of the perks of running coil overs - they are adjustable and can be fine tuned to how you want them to be. I have had them rebuilt once as well but, that was more out of routine maintenance and not because I had any problems with them.

I don't know if I've answered your question or not but, if there's something specific you are wanting to know about, please let me know. :yup:

Great info Eddie, I do have a couple more specific questions..

1. I currently have medium duty OME coils and shocks on a Rubicon JKU, and surprising to me I'm actually disappointed in the way the Jeep handles bumps (rough roads or dirt roads) at speeds over 10mph. It's rough, doesn't absorb bumps well, and also kinda likes to bump steer. I believe some of that might have to do with the tires, but my question is can the bolt on coilover from EVO help me out here? Can I expect a plush ride when I'm on an expedition run through the back roads?

2. How do you think the bolt on coilover setup will affect my towing capability?

Thanks in advance!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great info Eddie, I do have a couple more specific questions..

1. I currently have medium duty OME coils and shocks on a Rubicon JKU, and surprising to me I'm actually disappointed in the way the Jeep handles bumps (rough roads or dirt roads) at speeds over 10mph. It's rough, doesn't absorb bumps well, and also kinda likes to bump steer. I believe some of that might have to do with the tires, but my question is can the bolt on coilover from EVO help me out here? Can I expect a plush ride when I'm on an expedition run through the back roads?

I too have run the same OME coils with their LT shocks and was far from impressed. Back in the old TJ days, OME was kind of a standard for providing a nice factory like ride but then, maybe I've just never been a big fan of a factory ride. Having said all that and assuming you are running your tires at a reasonable PSI, the best thing you can do to help out your ride is to run a softer coil like an EVO Plush Ride. Pair them up with a set of shocks valved for a JK or run them with something like a Rancho 9000 that is adjustable to your liking, and that will help even more. As much as I love the EVO bolt-on coil overs, I'd be lying if I said they were "necessary" to achieve a comfortable ride. Now, if you can afford them, you bet they will give you what you're looking for if for no other reason than the fact that you can have them built and dialed in to how you like.

2. How do you think the bolt on coilover setup will affect my towing capability?

Great question and I think you'll be glad to hear that unlike any standard coil or even dual rate single coil, the EVO bolt-on coil overs are perfect for rigs that tow. Being that the coil overs are built with 2 spring, each with their own spring rates of your choice, you can literally have them setup up to offer a comfortable ride while still being able to carry a heavy load.

Sc741

What spring rate did you have originally and what do you currently have for those that have a very similiar set up?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What spring rate did you have originally and what do you currently have for those that have a very similiar set up?

What I had originally was whatever EVO had on the shelf and could get on before we left for Moab and unfortunately, I don't know what they were. If I recall, what we're running in the rear now is 250/300 but I don't have Rubicat with me now so I can't go out and check. I know that Moochie is running the same setup and he might be able to verify this. Rubicat sits a little ass high unloaded but, she's typically never unloaded.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of which, all this talk about Rubicat reminded me that I should post up the following pics of us dropper her off at Off Road Evolution last week...

main.php

As some of you may know, we installed a new Dynatrac ProRock 80 on Moby and so we are now going to install his old ProRock 60 on Rubicat. Of course, being that Moby was running a 5x5.5 bolt pattern, we now needed to get new wheels and so, we will be installing a set of new ATX Chamber bead lock wheels as well :yup:

main.php

Here's a shot of what they look like installed if you haven't seen them before...

main.php

Last but not least, the ProRock 60 was set up for an EVO Lever and so, we decided that it might be time to finally upgrade Rubicat to a DTD and so, we will be getting that installed as well. :crazyeyes:

bjordaneer

I too have run the same OME coils with their LT shocks and was far from impressed. Back in the old TJ days, OME was kind of a standard for providing a nice factory like ride but then, maybe I've just never been a big fan of a factory ride. Having said all that and assuming you are running your tires at a reasonable PSI, the best thing you can do to help out your ride is to run a softer coil like an EVO Plush Ride. Pair them up with a set of shocks valved for a JK or run them with something like a Rancho 9000 that is adjustable to your liking, and that will help even more. As much as I love the EVO bolt-on coil overs, I'd be lying if I said they were "necessary" to achieve a comfortable ride. Now, if you can afford them, you bet they will give you what you're looking for if for no other reason than the fact that you can have them built and dialed in to how you like.

Great question and I think you'll be glad to hear that unlike any standard coil or even dual rate single coil, the EVO bolt-on coil overs are perfect for rigs that tow. Being that the coil overs are built with 2 spring, each with their own spring rates of your choice, you can literally have them setup up to offer a comfortable ride while still being able to carry a heavy load.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Looks like the bolt on kit is what I'm looking for...let me know when you upgrade RubiCAT to DTD coilovers...I'd be happy to take those bolt ons off your hands ;)

Top Bottom