RubiCAT Gettin EVO'd UP!!

sc_rhino

Hey Eddie and everyone else who made this decision, I am currently trying to decide whether to go with the evo rear carrier vs lod and was wondering why you decided to switch? I like the look of everything evo, lod etc but can't yet decide. I currently have the evo 1/4 bumper and will soon have the evo sliders and bolt on coilovers.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Hey Eddie and everyone else who made this decision, I am currently trying to decide whether to go with the evo rear carrier vs lod and was wondering why you decided to switch? I like the look of everything evo, lod etc but can't yet decide. I currently have the evo 1/4 bumper and will soon have the evo sliders and bolt on coilovers.

I had LOD and switched to EVO. I liked the LOD bumper and thought it was great. I just like the bumperless look better with the EVO carrier. Plus you get a better departure angle. Can't go wrong with either IMHO.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When are you going to have a used DTD And Evo Lever for sale? I know a guy who's interested. Lol

LOL!! If I did, it would be getting installed on Rubicat :D

Eddie, Is that 6-8 weeks from todays date?
I have been waiting!

Unfortunately, yes. 6-8 weeks from last week. :grayno:

How much are you looking at for those them beautiful Boltons?? If the price was right I may be interested as well!! :crazyeyes:

Sorry, I've already got a handful of people who've already staked a claim to them and I'll have to give them first dibs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I really like the LoD bumper tire carrier and would for sure recommend it to anyone. We moved over to the EVO tire carrier because we carry a really big and heavy spare and drive really hard and fast through the desert. Although we never had any problems with ours, with all that weight, we were just afraid that the LoD would not be able to handle the abuse.

cmireles

Nah, sticking with 37's. It's a perfect size for a JK and one that doesn't require a ton of money to run without fear of breaking stuff. If we didn't have Moby, I would probably want 40's but having 2 JK's with 40's would eat into my travel funds. Plus, I just got our new ProRock 44 and there's no way I would run 40's on it and there's no way I would do another swap so soon.

I do have a few other people who have inquired about it but none really too serious. If you really are interested, I'll keep you in mind.

I think there's a bunch of us interested in the coilovers :) if bjordaneer ends up not wanting them I'd be more than happy to help you get rid of those!

alpa

Eddie,
Just a quick question. I'm not sure if this has been asked or not but what brackets have you installed for rear lower control arms at the axle on Rubicat? Did you combine rockstar bracket for coilover with some other bracket for control arm or you not using rockstar bracket at all? I know on frame side you have an Extreme clearance bracket but I didn't see any pictures for bracket at the axle. Could you post some pictures please or explain what did you do? I've installed EVO bolt on kit with coilovers and long arm upgrade kit on my RUBI and I would like to get rid off low hanging brackets on frame side. Any info will be appreciated.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I thought the rear bolt on coil overs came with rock stars?
Just curious because I'm thinking I might get the bolt on kit

alpa

I thought the rear bolt on coil overs came with rock stars?

yes but it will not work for extreme clearance bracket at the frame, unless Eddie is using different length of lower control arms then I do.

Last edited:

BDP849

Eddie,
Just a quick question. I'm not sure if this has been asked or not but what brackets have you installed for rear lower control arms at the axle on Rubicat? Did you combine rockstar bracket for coilover with some other bracket for control arm or you not using rockstar bracket at all? I know on frame side you have an Extreme clearance bracket but I didn't see any pictures for bracket at the axle. Could you post some pictures please or explain what did you do? I've installed EVO bolt on kit with coilovers and long arm upgrade kit on my RUBI and I would like to get rid off low hanging brackets on frame side. Any info will be appreciated.

I just had this combination installed on my Jeep.
To clarify, the rock stars that are included with the bolt on coil over kit are designed for the factory control arm location.
If you are going to use EVO high clearance arms the axle side (and frame) factory mounts are removed and custom EVO mount are used for the coil overs to mount too.
Here are a few pics, not the best pics but you get tho idea.
IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 866
Last edited:

alpa

I just had this combination installed on my Jeep.
To clarify, the rock stars that are included with the bolt on coil over kit are designed for the factory control arm location.
If you are going to use EVO high clearance arms the axle side (and frame) factory mounts are removed and custom EVO mount are used for the coil overs to mount too.
Here are a few pics, not the best pics but you get tho idea.
View attachment 74605

View attachment 74607

Thx. It looks like axle mount is one piece for control arms and coil overs correct? I thought it has to have a different bracket but I never saw any picture. I'm running EVO LCA upgrade kit which I want to replace for Extreme clearance and ONLY different is in those rear brackets at frame and axle. Control arms are same length so I just need to replace rear brackets. Do you know if I can get only brackets from EVO?

Last edited:

BDP849

The lower brackets came in 6 pieces, they are welded together to make a complete assembly that is welded to the axle tube.

I have no idea if they sell them separate, you should call EVO on that one.

alpa

The lower brackets came in 6 pieces, they are welded together to make a complete assembly that is welded to the axle tube.

I have no idea if they sell them separate, you should call EVO on that one.
Thanks. I'll call EVO today.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like I'm a bit late to answering the question at hand. :crazyeyes: As mentioned, the bracket isn't something that is normally sold with the kit. Before getting the bolt-on's, we were already set to get a DTD and had the lower control arm brackets installed for it. The coil over brackets you see were made custom to allow for the bolt-on kit to work.

alpa

Looks like I'm a bit late to answering the question at hand. :crazyeyes: As mentioned, the bracket isn't something that is normally sold with the kit. Before getting the bolt-on's, we were already set to get a DTD and had the lower control arm brackets installed for it. The coil over brackets you see were made custom to allow for the bolt-on kit to work.

Thanks for info.

WBJK

Wayoflife, I noticed both Mobi and Rubicat started off with LOD bumpers and then along the way get switched to EVO. I understand EVO is a much more rugged but curious as to the reasoning behind the LOD starting point.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wayoflife, I noticed both Mobi and Rubicat started off with LOD bumpers and then along the way get switched to EVO. I understand EVO is a much more rugged but curious as to the reasoning behind the LOD starting point.

Actually, Moby has worn a lot of different bumpers as they were released throughout the last 7+ years. Nemo has gone through a few as well. Rubicat wore an LoD bumper that was previously installed on Moby before getting an EVO tire carrier. The LoD is a great bumper and I would recommend it to anyone running a 35 or 37 inch tire. Their newer one handed operation bumpers are even nicer. We moved over to the EVO tire carrier because we are running a really heavy 37 on Rubicat and a 40 on Moby and at high speeds, we just wanted to make sure that everything was going to stay put.

ttfhell

wayoflife said:
We moved over to the EVO tire carrier because we are running a really heavy 37 on Rubicat and a 40 on Moby and at high speeds, we just wanted to make sure that everything was going to stay put.
Should've gone Teraflex. 

Top Bottom