RubiCAT Gettin EVO'd UP!!

Tyler19

Here is a parts list so far NOT including the new coilover system since price has not been set yet on that and NOT including installation costs. Not 100% sure, but we estimate the new EVO bolt-on coilover system will probably be somewhere around $3500 including the coilovers - significantly cheaper than the EVO Lever DTD setup. :yup:

UPDATE: NEW EVO BOLT-ON COILOVER KIT HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE LIST BELOW

DetailsNameUnit PriceQuantityTotal
ATX756ATX 17" SLAB BEADLOCK WHEELS$312.005$1560.00
EVO MFG ARMOR-SLIDERSEVO MFG Armor Rock Sliders$469.99$469.99
Type: - 4 Door--
Options: - Textured Black Powdercoat$75.00$75.00
EVO MFG ROCKSKINSEVO MFG Rock Skins JK Rocker Panel Protection$219.99$219.99
JK Model: - 4 Door$40.00$40.00
EVO-PROTEKEVO MFG ProTeK Skid System for 2012 Jeep JK Wranglers$399.99$399.99
Tranmission Type: - Auto Trans.--
EVO MFG AXLE GUSSETSEVO MFG C2 Axle Gussets$60.00$60.00
EVO MFG LONGARM-UPGRADEEVO MFG Extreme High Clearance Long Arm Upgrade Kit for EVOLever equipped JK's$2299.99$2299.99
EVO MFG BOLT-ON COILOVERS - FRONTEVO MFG BOLT-ON COILOVER KIT - FRONT$1,750.00$1,750.00
EVO MFG BOLT-ON COILOVERS - REAREVO MFG BOLT-ON COILOVER KIT - REAR$1,850.00$1,850.00
EVO MFG FRONT BUMPEREVO MFG 1/4 Pounder Front JK Bumper$399.99$399.99
EVO MFG REV STINGEREVO MFG Revolution Stinger$249.99$249.99
NITTO 37" TRAIL GRAPPLERS$366.005$1,830.00
EVO MFG TIRE CARRIER w/ROCK SKINS$1,444.97
TRUCK-LITE LED HEADLIGHTS$589.00
WARN POWERPLANT WINCH$1,599.99
JE REEL 1350 DRIVESHAFTSFront and Rear$6802$1,360.00
Grand Total:$16,198.90

Was a list like this ever made on Moby?

hbkid22

Having driven behind rubicat for the better part of two days, I have to say that this is such a nice looking jeep! Plus it looked like it performed very well. I can't wait to see/hear how the suspension performs on future runs. It looked like Mel was enjoying himself immensely on the EVO run in Moab.

View attachment 1546

View attachment 1547

View attachment 1548

View attachment 1550

View attachment 1551

What rear carrier system is that and is it specific to a certain tire carrier/bumper?

StrizzyChris

Quick question. I am looking at getting the bolt on kit next year but won't be able to upgrade the axles at that time. I want to run 37" tires and if I upgrade the gears to 5.10s (live in Colorado) and weld on the gusset reinforcements, do you think that will be sufficient for the time being?

It really depends on your use, since trails in CO can be just as tough and extreme as anywhere else in the US. 37's on a front D30 with 5.13's is a lot of stress in the tall and thin teeth of the ring and pinion. It stands a short term chance so long as you leave the front diff open(no locker) and don't give it hell....but even then its a coin flip while you're wheeling as to when or how the teeth will blow.

As far as the b/o coilovers, you could absolutely run them on your current axles, its the gearing and tire size that will cause you the most issues.

If I were you, I'd keep the 35's and run the B/O coilovers until you can afford a PR44 with a locker and new gear ratio(or find a dirt cheap used stock D44 that's already re-geared if money is tight). That way you only pay for rear gears when you make the move to 37's.

hbkid22

It really depends on your use, since trails in CO can be just as tough and extreme as anywhere else in the US. 37's on a front D30 with 5.13's is a lot of stress in the tall and thin teeth of the ring and pinion. It stands a short term chance so long as you leave the front diff open(no locker) and don't give it hell....but even then its a coin flip while you're wheeling as to when or how the teeth will blow.

As far as the b/o coilovers, you could absolutely run them on your current axles, its the gearing and tire size that will cause you the most issues.

If I were you, I'd keep the 35's and run the B/O coilovers until you can afford a PR44 with a locker and new gear ratio(or find a dirt cheap used stock D44 that's already re-geared if money is tight). That way you only pay for rear gears when you make the move to 37's.

Thanks for the input. That makes sense and logically I should go that route. It's tough to wait but in the long run it makes better sense.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
It isn't required that you get PR60's first but, you WILL have to get them sooner than later IF you really do use your Jeep to bomb through the desert. We barely got a year (45,000 miles) out of Rubicat before we tacoed our front Dana 44 enough to require it be replaced and that was just with bolt on coil overs.

Stole this from the pre running thread becuase i was wondering if the front axle bent from bombing through the desert or just crawling?

Loading please wait....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Stole this from the pre running thread becuase i was wondering if the front axle bent from bombing through the desert or just crawling?

Loading please wait....

Without question, bombing through the desert. If all you ever do is rock crawl, you'll still bend your axle C's if they aren't gusseted but for most people, the factory tubes left as is will be fine for a while. This is the reason why I recommend that people NOT waste their money building up their factory axles with sleeves or trusses. In the end, the weak links will still be the axle shafts and small ring and pinion if you have a Dana 30 and to me personally, it makes more sense to save your money, play with what you got and replace it with something like a ProRock 44 when needed or when you can afford it. But then, that's just me. :yup:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Without question, bombing through the desert. If all you ever do is rock crawl, you'll still bend your axle C's if they aren't gusseted but for most people, the factory tubes left as is will be fine for a while. This is the reason why I recommend that people NOT waste their money building up their factory axles with sleeves or trusses. In the end, the weak links will still be the axle shafts and small ring and pinion if you have a Dana 30 and to me personally, it makes more sense to save your money, play with what you got and replace it with something like a ProRock 44 when needed or when you can afford it. But then, that's just me. :yup:

Thank you for the info. That is good to know about only bending thanks to going hard in the desert because i honestly dont have any interest in doing that. It is cool to watch though! Just want 37s and still be able to crawl on the rocks. I did learn when i first joined that it is a waste of money to sleeve or truss the front so i wont. Still have to keep working on that "good driver" mod though. :D

Loading please wait....

camping350

Hi Eddie just got my 2015 rubicon been pricing things with Drew. Question I want double throw down but can't afford pr 60/80 ARB stuff at first what is the minimum to get by axel wise for a while. Note I currently have XJ with low pinion dana 30 with chromoly on 35s for 2.5 years and have not broken anything major yet. I'm not hard on the skinny pedal but I like to have fun.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Eddie just got my 2015 rubicon been pricing things with Drew. Question I want double throw down but can't afford pr 60/80 ARB stuff at first what is the minimum to get by axel wise for a while. Note I currently have XJ with low pinion dana 30 with chromoly on 35s for 2.5 years and have not broken anything major yet. I'm not hard on the skinny pedal but I like to have fun.

First off, I think it'll be helpful to you to put things into perspective and understand that an XJ weighs about 3000 lbs. The curb weight of a stock JK Rubicon Unlimited is almost 1,500 lbs. more. Add bigger tires, bead lock wheels, bumpers, armor, etc and you can quickly get up to 5,000+. More than anything, it's the significant weight gain of a JK over an XJ or TJ that makes breaking axles and drive train components a very real concern. In other words, comparing what you have now with your XJ to a JK really is like comparing apples and oranges.

Having said that, you can run a DTD with whatever you've got but if you play with your Jeep off road, you'll be needing to replace your axles sooner than later. You can say you're easy on the skinny pedal all day long but with a DTD, you won't even realize that you're going way faster than you would ever dare to in your XJ or a JK with standard coils and shocks. With the DTD, the faster you go, the smoother your ride and it's this speed that will start breaking things.

0311DoC

Here is a parts list so far NOT including the new coilover system since price has not been set yet on that and NOT including installation costs. Not 100% sure, but we estimate the new EVO bolt-on coilover system will probably be somewhere around $3500 including the coilovers - significantly cheaper than the EVO Lever DTD setup. :yup:

UPDATE: NEW EVO BOLT-ON COILOVER KIT HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE LIST BELOW

DetailsNameUnit PriceQuantityTotal
ATX756ATX 17" SLAB BEADLOCK WHEELS$312.005$1560.00
EVO MFG ARMOR-SLIDERSEVO MFG Armor Rock Sliders$469.99$469.99
Type: - 4 Door--
Options: - Textured Black Powdercoat$75.00$75.00
EVO MFG ROCKSKINSEVO MFG Rock Skins JK Rocker Panel Protection$219.99$219.99
JK Model: - 4 Door$40.00$40.00
EVO-PROTEKEVO MFG ProTeK Skid System for 2012 Jeep JK Wranglers$399.99$399.99
Tranmission Type: - Auto Trans.--
EVO MFG AXLE GUSSETSEVO MFG C2 Axle Gussets$60.00$60.00
EVO MFG LONGARM-UPGRADEEVO MFG Extreme High Clearance Long Arm Upgrade Kit for EVOLever equipped JK's$2299.99$2299.99
EVO MFG BOLT-ON COILOVERS - FRONTEVO MFG BOLT-ON COILOVER KIT - FRONT$1,750.00$1,750.00
EVO MFG BOLT-ON COILOVERS - REAREVO MFG BOLT-ON COILOVER KIT - REAR$1,850.00$1,850.00
EVO MFG FRONT BUMPEREVO MFG 1/4 Pounder Front JK Bumper$399.99$399.99
EVO MFG REV STINGEREVO MFG Revolution Stinger$249.99$249.99
NITTO 37" TRAIL GRAPPLERS$366.005$1,830.00
EVO MFG TIRE CARRIER w/ROCK SKINS$1,444.97
TRUCK-LITE LED HEADLIGHTS$589.00
WARN POWERPLANT WINCH$1,599.99
JE REEL 1350 DRIVESHAFTSFront and Rear$6802$1,360.00
Grand Total:$16,198.90

WOW! this is the best most comprehensive post I have read about a suspension system and setup. And as you can see this is also my first post. Until reading this I never thought a coilover set up was possible in my immediate future. Most of my friends were pushing me towards a TF Elite or a Metal Cloak Game changer w/ their 6 pak setup. Since this is my daily driver ill probably want to stick with the 35" tires, But I want to make sure I get the best ride possible on and off road. I am a weekend warrior and will hit Moab and Ouray possibly Sedona once a year besides just doing local trails out here in Southern Nevada. I also want to make sure my steering is good to go and pittman arms, drag links etc. So I don't get the wobble etc. Want a good beefy stance too :) Would love some input!! Thanks EVERYONE on this thread. Man I learned Ton today!

WJCO

Meme King
WOW! this is the best most comprehensive post I have read about a suspension system and setup. And as you can see this is also my first post. Until reading this I never thought a coilover set up was possible in my immediate future. Most of my friends were pushing me towards a TF Elite or a Metal Cloak Game changer w/ their 6 pak setup. Since this is my daily driver ill probably want to stick with the 35" tires, But I want to make sure I get the best ride possible on and off road. I am a weekend warrior and will hit Moab and Ouray possibly Sedona once a year besides just doing local trails out here in Southern Nevada. I also want to make sure my steering is good to go and pittman arms, drag links etc. So I don't get the wobble etc. Want a good beefy stance too :) Would love some input!! Thanks EVERYONE on this thread. Man I learned Ton today!

Welcome to WAL. Lots of guys run coil-overs here.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
WOW! this is the best most comprehensive post I have read about a suspension system and setup. And as you can see this is also my first post. Until reading this I never thought a coilover set up was possible in my immediate future.

Because of price or because of what's involved?

Most of my friends were pushing me towards a TF Elite or a Metal Cloak Game changer w/ their 6 pak setup.

Is it safe to assume it's because that's what they've chosen to buy for their Jeeps?

Since this is my daily driver ill probably want to stick with the 35" tires, But I want to make sure I get the best ride possible on and off road. I am a weekend warrior and will hit Moab and Ouray possibly Sedona once a year besides just doing local trails out here in Southern Nevada.

To be honest, if 35" tires are all you're hoping to run, I might recommend you save your money and just get a decent 2.5" standard lift - a true 3" lift at most. I say "true" because a lot of kits tend to yield MUCH taller lifts than what they advertise such as TF. Their 3" coils yield well over 4" of total lift and for 35" tires, that's way too much lift or at least, in my opinion.

I also want to make sure my steering is good to go and pittman arms, drag links etc. So I don't get the wobble etc. Want a good beefy stance too :) Would love some input!! Thanks EVERYONE on this thread. Man I learned Ton today!

You won't need a dropped pitman arm with 2.5" of lift and even if you were to go taller, I would recommend a drag link flip/front track bar relocation kit like the kind that EVO or AEV makes. It's a much better solution to correcting your steering geometry. Death wobble is a condition of loose or worn out steering/suspension components, NOT an issue with what lift kit you get. As far as stance goes, wheels with less back spacing will help give you the look you're wanting.

0311DoC

Because of price or because of what's involved?

Is it safe to assume it's because that's what they've chosen to buy for their Jeeps?

To be honest, if 35" tires are all you're hoping to run, I might recommend you save your money and just get a decent 2.5" standard lift - a true 3" lift at most. I say "true" because a lot of kits tend to yield MUCH taller lifts than what they advertise such as TF. Their 3" coils yield well over 4" of total lift and for 35" tires, that's way too much lift or at least, in my opinion.

You won't need a dropped pitman arm with 2.5" of lift and even if you were to go taller, I would recommend a drag link flip/front track bar relocation kit like the kind that EVO or AEV makes. It's a much better solution to correcting your steering geometry. Death wobble is a condition of loose or worn out steering/suspension components, NOT an issue with what lift kit you get. As far as stance goes, wheels with less back spacing will help give you the look you're wanting.

I thought a coilover setup was twice as expensive, and a lot of cutting. so never thought I would get one (Daily Driver)

Yea They swear by their lifts to try and bring in the best of both worlds I assume. I know some if not most Jeepers that have the time and money of course that totally trick out their Jeeps use them mainly off road and build for that purpose

Here is where my ignorance comes into play. If I do 37's im assuming their will much more needed add ons for the heavier tires and more parts needed to compensate weight and wear and tear on the factory D44's etc etc. Again im lucky if I am able to do serious trips once or twice a year. Everything else at least to this point has been local jeep club out here in the desert, day trip (every other weekend etc) But definitely have open ears to get pros and cons.

BenJKWrangler15

Sorry if I missed one of the post but just to be sure, Rubicat is running the Bolt On Coilover kit front and rear from EVO and not the DTD system, right?... .-.

Top Bottom