Scott's build of a CJ7

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
It's all the more of a tough decision when the Jeep is right there and you want one. Vs. when you're just kicking around the idea. Easy for us to say it's a good buy, but you have to live with it. The good news is Cj-8's will always have some value over the other models of the same era..

XJADDICTION

Banned
I agree with all comments here. I do think that is a great starting point for a CJ-8. If it fits the budget and as long as you know that you have some work to do, buy it!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Ok, got more pics, before they painted it. Let's hear what you guys think.

I think most of these are probably about 5 years old or more.

IMG_9590.JPG
IMG_9591.JPG
IMG_9592.JPG
IMG_9594.JPG
IMG_9595.JPG
IMG_9596.JPG
IMG_9601.JPG
IMG_9602.JPG
IMG_9603.JPG
IMG_9604.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
I'm not an expert with a decades long history of being familiar with Jeeps, but that tub is in a lot better condition than the dozen or so CJs I looked at before buying my frame. My opinion of the frame is that it can certainly be worked with. I hope they accept your offer if you decide to make one. It would be a great project to follow.

wjtstudios

Hooked
It looks like he did a thorough job on the paint. That pan looked great , but 15 years is a long time for rust to get a hold. What concerns me the most is the dynamat or what ever that material is. These things leak like a bucket full of holes so if water got under that mat, you would never know and rust could start. But there are no penetrations we can see from the bottom pictures, so if there is any, it is hopefully just surface rust. It's great to have a photo record of all that work!

wjtstudios

Hooked
"Forgot to look at the interior floor. Had carpet over it. Overall the interior was on great shape though and I didn't notice the floor sagging at all when I got in. What's a spark knock? "

Spark knock or engine knock is years of carbon built up in the cylinder causing that cylinder to ignite prior to the spark hitting fuel. It throws the timing off at higher RPMs. 93 octane fuel can keep it from happening

wjtstudios

Hooked
Image1498914536.980184.jpg
This spot snuck up on me this year. It is my first rust penetration. I'll keep my carpets out from now on the catch thinks like this faster. It in on the floor plan where the two structural rails are near your left foot when driving. Image1498914679.733430.jpg
I've ground down the rest of the pan and just found surface rust.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
View attachment 266219
This spot snuck up on me this year. It is my first rust penetration. I'll keep my carpets out from now on the catch thinks like this faster. It in on the floor plan where the two structural rails are near your left foot when driving. View attachment 266220
I've ground down the rest of the pan and just found surface rust.

This is why bed lining floors has become so popular with old Jeeps, Broncos etc. Once that stuff is sprayed you can put carpet in and even trapped water won't cause rust. Have to do the underside as well and thats a project and a half but worth it for a vehicle that's going to be a keeper.

wjtstudios

Hooked
This is why bed lining floors has become so popular with old Jeeps, Broncos etc. Once that stuff is sprayed you can put carpet in and even trapped water won't cause rust. Have to do the underside as well and thats a project and a half but worth it for a vehicle that's going to be a keeper.

I couldn't agree more. Mine is going in and getting blasted this winter and any rust spots repaired, then line X. I've had her for 22 years and never plan on selling her. It's the best way to protect the jeep.

GraniteCrystal

wjtstudios

Hooked
I'll give you $1000 for her :cheesy:

Really though, she looks great! How much is the sand blasting and line X going to cost if you don't mind me asking?

No problem. I was going to do it past winter but the jk needed upgrades so I have the numbers. Blasting 1500. Line x bed and interior 1700. Repaint the rest of the body around 5. I will re undercoat it after primer myself.

Top Bottom