Sleeper JK

KPM171

Ok so I look around and see all different kinds of mods that can be done to a Jeep. Cut the fenders, bumper swaps, hood mods, light upgrades, body armor...all in a effort to make your Jeep as capable as possible and show a bit of style doing it. Thats all well and good but I like the style of the JK but the capabilities of the mods. So in an effort to stay on track with Jeep engineers, I would like to see the sleeper mods. A sleeper is typically high performance and an unassuming exterior. Sleepers are termed such because their exterior looks little or no different from stock..typically referred to as "all go and no show". We are going to mix that up a bit. Show us the mods that keep with the lines and stock feeling but with the capabilities of the highly modified after market components. So time to show off your Sleeper JK's

I too am a huge fan of sleepers, but with a Jeep you really do need some height, armor, and gear which tend to stand out a bit.

But I'll play along. Let's see, hard to notice sleeper mods that you can do... :thinking:
  • if it's not a Rubi, a set of sway bar quick disconnects to get more flex out of the front end.
  • How about a leveling kit just to level out the front end. Doesn't look like a lift, but it will give you a little more tire clearance while maintaining that factory look.
  • Again, if it's not a rubi lockers front and rear aren't something you can see but can help you out of a bind.
  • You can always do power mods (CAI, super charger, turbo, Chip Tuners, etc.) or engine swaps
  • Stereo mods are generally invisible, but very audible.
  • Again, if it's not a rubi just getting a more aggressive tire in the stock size should get you a little more grip on trails & rocks
  • Skid plates & armor underneath are a good way to go since that's fairly hard to see at stock height if you aren't crawling under the Jeep. Protek front skids or River Raider Off Road full skid set up.
  • What about a tummy tuck? I know you could do this on TJ's, but not sure about JK's. The idea is to move some of your components above the frame to get more clearance.
  • High tuck exhaust kit will give you a nice growl and give you a better departure angle vs. the stock submarine can muffler in the back.
  • Depending on how much time/money you wanted to invest, you could always get a front bumper fabricated out of steel in the same shape/style as the OEM bumper (powdercoat to color match) but with a winch mount sunk in the middle. That could be clever, but I don't think I've seen anyone do something like that yet. That would allow you to run a stronger bumper and hide a winch with out much notice. I'd imagine this one would be a little cost prohibitive. Or you could mount a winch plate upside down like this done and hide the opening behind your license plate... http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87001

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

I like the idea of a sleeper. In my opinion/definition of a sleeper would be a rig that looks almost stock but would smoke em off the line. By that definition, and keeping it stockish, I'd say an engine swap is a must. Second would be to do the recessed stock bumper/winch mod with relocating the motor in the engine bay. Third would be a mild 2.5" lift to clear 35's on stock rims without trimming the fenders. Go with a set of falkon wildpeaks to have a great offroad tire but not have all the aggressive looks of an MT. You can run under armour of choice and a set of Rubi rails.

Really interested in watching you do this...if you're actually planning on doing it. Most everyone on here strives for wild and flashy. Would be a breath of fresh air and unique!

Hollowpoint515

Check out my build search trailmex all I have is flat fenders and chopped the front bumper but put end caps on it to keep the stockish look no lift and 35's I do plan on putting currie antirock's on it so ill be able to get the articulation without so much lift

Rccrwlr

I too am a huge fan of sleepers, but with a Jeep you really do need some height, armor, and gear which tend to stand out a bit.

But I'll play along. Let's see, hard to notice sleeper mods that you can do... :thinking:
  • if it's not a Rubi, a set of sway bar quick disconnects to get more flex out of the front end.
  • How about a leveling kit just to level out the front end. Doesn't look like a lift, but it will give you a little more tire clearance while maintaining that factory look.
  • Again, if it's not a rubi lockers front and rear aren't something you can see but can help you out of a bind.
  • You can always do power mods (CAI, super charger, turbo, Chip Tuners, etc.) or engine swaps
  • Stereo mods are generally invisible, but very audible.
  • Again, if it's not a rubi just getting a more aggressive tire in the stock size should get you a little more grip on trails & rocks
  • Skid plates & armor underneath are a good way to go since that's fairly hard to see at stock height if you aren't crawling under the Jeep. Protek front skids or River Raider Off Road full skid set up.
  • What about a tummy tuck? I know you could do this on TJ's, but not sure about JK's. The idea is to move some of your components above the frame to get more clearance.
  • High tuck exhaust kit will give you a nice growl and give you a better departure angle vs. the stock submarine can muffler in the back.
  • Depending on how much time/money you wanted to invest, you could always get a front bumper fabricated out of steel in the same shape/style as the OEM bumper (powdercoat to color match) but with a winch mount sunk in the middle. That could be clever, but I don't think I've seen anyone do something like that yet. That would allow you to run a stronger bumper and hide a winch with out much notice. I'd imagine this one would be a little cost prohibitive. Or you could mount a winch plate upside down like this done and hide the opening behind your license plate... http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87001

That winch mount is what I'm talking about. People thinking outside of the box. I like this one!

1979 Jeep CJ5 - rccrwlr
2008 Jeep JKUR - pheartmtngot

KPM171

Check out my build search trailmex all I have is flat fenders and chopped the front bumper but put end caps on it to keep the stockish look no lift and 35's I do plan on putting currie antirock's on it so ill be able to get the articulation without so much lift

I like your rig, I think it looks pretty bad a$$ honestly. But, I don't think a stubby (even one made from the factory bumper), cut fenders & 35's count as a sleeper. To keep that sleeper look, you'll have to leave your fenders & bumper looking untouched imho.

StrizzyChris

Have you disco'd your front and cycled your suspension yet? Running flats and a front 1.75" coil spacer on mine and stock suspension and I BARELY clear the rear tires without rubbing...and I rub my fronts at full stuff. A 1/2" bump extensions would be perfect, but that's too much work and I'll just let her rub.

I also remember someone else saying a rear antirock will give you less wheel travel than the soft stock rear swaybar. That's pure hearsay though.

Rccrwlr

So ya I get the fact that a lift will change things but the Jeep engineers would prob do the same if they could. But take a look at that jeep in top of the cars!! Still looks stock but has a lift. Sleeper Monster Jeep. I like it!

1979 Jeep CJ5 - rccrwlr
2008 Jeep JKUR - pheartmtngot

Hollowpoint515

Have you disco'd your front and cycled your suspension yet? Running flats and a front 1.75" coil spacer on mine and stock suspension and I BARELY clear the rear tires without rubbing...and I rub my fronts at full stuff. A 1/2" bump extensions would be perfect, but that's too much work and I'll just let her rub.

I also remember someone else saying a rear antirock will give you less wheel travel than the soft stock rear swaybar. That's pure hearsay though.

No I haven't yet but i do have a 1" bodylift and shift extension going on next weekend and I was also thinking about buying quick disconnects but I would rather spend the extra coin and just get antirock's ie heard from a few guys that their quick disconnects punctured their tires at full turn/stuff

That's some serious shit! :shock:
Not really just taking some poser shots while my sister was at soccer practice lol I don't have any picture on this phone where I'm wheeling:(
Jeek, I like your Jeep! I know you've been working on modding it. It's coming along nicely. :) Have you finished with school yet?
Thanks yeah I just finished high school this year and this week I started my internship with my brother in laws company. Hopefully in a month or two I will start to get paid and be able to work on my jeep more

Last edited:

EasyE

image-3341733773.jpg

image-1477000609.jpg

Bigger tires 33 .. Chopped front bumper, removed rear bumper quick disconnects .

Attachments

• image-1055615306.jpg
    image-1055615306.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 401
  • image-231629339.jpg
    image-231629339.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:

Mr.T

Sleeper?

5.jpg
Some sliders and other armor, hi-tuck muffler, bumper/winch, OME 2" lift (with about 1" extra down travel), and the tires are just slightly wide 32" tires (275/70-17 mountain snowflake rated for winter) on stock wheels.
2.jpg

Mr.T

Looks good - i like the rear bumper
Thanx, it's Rugged Ridge. Full width bumper, but angles down at the ends for better departure angle. Two 1 gal Rotopax fuel containers are strapped onto the spare tire -- inside some custom nylon covers the wifey made.
:beer:

Top Bottom