Sleeper JK

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I personally wouldn't recommend it but, if you're wanting to keep your factory rear bumper and are determined to keep your spare on your tailgate, I would recommend this option from Hanson over the TeraFlex hinged carrier:

attachment.php

http://hansonoffroad.com/proddetail.php?prod=JKT2-P

This carrier has been available since 2006, is made of steel, made in the USA and is available COMPLETE for only $499. With the TeraFlex tire carrier, $400 will only get you the aluminum hinges which are totally unnecessary and, if you want the new tire carrier as well, you need to fork out a total of $730.

Of course, if it were me, I would recommend a real bumper tire carrier like what Expedition One makes as it still has a single hand operation and the bumper is plain jane enough to still look stock. Either that or, if you're willing to do some modifications, I'd bet you could get the swing out arm of an AEV rear bumper to work with a factory bumper too.

GCM 2

Back to sleeper JK's, here is one Off Road Evolution recently built. 14" of usable suspension travel front/rear, almost near stock look.

Attachments

• image-1760188018.jpg
    image-1760188018.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 343

Rccrwlr

I personally wouldn't recommend it but, if you're wanting to keep your factory rear bumper and are determined to keep your spare on your tailgate, I would recommend this option from Hanson over the TeraFlex hinged carrier:

attachment.php

http://hansonoffroad.com/proddetail.php?prod=JKT2-P

This carrier has been available since 2006, is made of steel, made in the USA and is available COMPLETE for only $499. With the TeraFlex tire carrier, $400 will only get you the aluminum hinges which are totally unnecessary and, if you want the new tire carrier as well, you need to fork out a total of $730.

Of course, if it were me, I would recommend a real bumper tire carrier like what Expedition One makes as it still has a single hand operation and the bumper is plain jane enough to still look stock. Either that or, if you're willing to do some modifications, I'd bet you could get the swing out arm of an AEV rear bumper to work with a factory bumper too.

Thanks for the feed back. I do like the lines of the exp-one unit. Looks really clean. Don't necessarily want to keep the plastic rear stock bumper, just like the "wait is that stock" double take.

Posted a few priorities but must have hit cancel instead if send.
Need to be able to have the wife and kids operate it to get gear in and out.
Want to carry 5 gal gas, and up to a 37" tire so sounds like I should prob get it off the tailgate
Would like to use it for cb ant mount, will need the 3rd tail light, and my wife only request is to keep her "life is good" tire cover ( happy wife, happy jeep shopping) ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375627580.703453.jpg

1979 Jeep CJ5 - rccrwlr
2008 Jeep JKUR - pheartmtngot

Rccrwlr

Back to sleeper JK's, here is one Off Road Evolution recently built. 14" of usable suspension travel front/rear, almost near stock look.

This was on their shop page as well. Really 14"? That's fantastic. You know, I saw that pic and can't find it again. Think it had some specs with it. Any info about it?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375627854.711154.jpg

1979 Jeep CJ5 - rccrwlr

GCM 2

This was on their shop page as well. Really 14"? That's fantastic. You know, I saw that pic and can't find it again. Think it had some specs with it. Any info about it?

1979 Jeep CJ5 - rccrwlr

Yep, remember that recent build too, also very classy! Basically the white and the black JK are both running the same suspension set up many of us here have.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

View attachment 42992

1979 Jeep CJ5 - rccrwlr

The black one?

EVO double throw down
EVO lever
EVO sliders
37" trail grapplers
ATX slabs
Teraflex hinge tire carrier (the broken one)

That white one just has the double D long arm I believe.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the feed back. I do like the lines of the exp-one unit. Looks really clean. Don't necessarily want to keep the plastic rear stock bumper, just like the "wait is that stock" double take.

Posted a few priorities but must have hit cancel instead if send.
Need to be able to have the wife and kids operate it to get gear in and out.
Want to carry 5 gal gas, and up to a 37" tire so sounds like I should prob get it off the tailgate
Would like to use it for cb ant mount, will need the 3rd tail light, and my wife only request is to keep her "life is good" tire cover ( happy wife, happy jeep shopping)

The Expedition One is probably what I would recommend then. It looks factory-ish, can be opened with just one had on the tailgate and will allow you to do what you need.

Rccrwlr

The black one?

EVO double throw down
EVO lever
EVO sliders
37" trail grapplers
ATX slabs
Teraflex hinge tire carrier (the broken one)

That white one just has the double D long arm I believe.

Yep. I was asking about the black one. Thanks OverlanderJK :cheers

1979 Jeep CJ5 - rccrwlr

Christarp

View attachment 40512

View attachment 40513

My idea of a sleeper. Not mine, but it's a milspec J8 diesel. Barebones.

Exactly what wheels are these? I know it's really obvious, but I can't find the exact right one, only getting close..

I'm a really big fan of the sleeper style on a JK, I see many jeeps with tons of aftermarket stuff and stickers on them and really going wild with cutting into the body and whatnot, but I really want to keep mine as close to stock outside as possible (and of course having something like the the double throwdown and evo lever underneath :thumb:)

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Exactly what wheels are these? I know it's really obvious, but I can't find the exact right one, only getting close..

I'm a really big fan of the sleeper style on a JK, I see many jeeps with tons of aftermarket stuff and stickers on them and really going wild with cutting into the body and whatnot, but I really want to keep mine as close to stock outside as possible (and of course having something like the the double throwdown and evo lever underneath :thumb:)

So you're going to have "Sleeper" JK with the kick ass DTDand EVO lever? Sorry but you will be way past a sleeper as you won't have a stock height ride. What are your plans for wheels/ tires?

GCM 2

The wheel in the picture of the flat green jeep is just a stock 16" steel wheel fitted on to the Jeep J8 for overseas Military spec'd JK's. Just go to tirerack.com, search for wheels for your model jeep. when the choices come up, choose from the tabs right above the wheels "steel". More than likely it will be the only one offered, something like $58.00 ea.

X66019.jpg

...or there is this one offered by Mopar and available at Quadratec. It is known as the 'winter wheel' http://www.quadratec.com/products/92702_106.htm

110140-lg.jpg

Christarp

So you're going to have "Sleeper" JK with the kick ass DTDand EVO lever? Sorry but you will be way past a sleeper as you won't have a stock height ride. What are your plans for wheels/ tires?

I know it's not exactly the sleeper look if you were to go that route, but I really think jku's just don't look proper with stock tires and ride height, something about it seems off, whereas the two doors look more proportioned (in my opinion of course). Ideally You wouldn't go past 35s.

xtremefx4

Here is my sleeper!!!
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1375750925243.jpg
    1375750925243.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 301
  • 1375750938842.jpg
    1375750938842.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 295

KPM171

To keep that stock look when it comes to lighting, you can fit a set of Rigid dually's in the OEM fog light mounting location. There's a recessed kit that's pretty good and until you turn them on, it's pretty inconspicuous.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
To keep that stock look when it comes to lighting, you can fit a set of Rigid dually's in the OEM fog light mounting location. There's a recessed kit that's pretty good and until you turn them on, it's pretty inconspicuous.

I have the rigids in the factory bumper and it turned out pretty slick ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375927253.297626.jpg

Top Bottom