Smittybuilt xrc or poison syder fenders

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Someone correct me if Im wrong, but Poison Spyder units are FLARE replacements and Smittybilt units are FENDER+FLARE replacements are they not?

Army_Vet

Banned
Someone correct me if Im wrong, but Poison Spyder units are FLARE replacements and Smittybilt units are FENDER+FLARE replacements are they not?

I think he posted that he is doing corner armor plus the flare. Or the Smitty system armor

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If your mad about the damage from the bushwhackers wait until you hit a rock/tree with the poison spyder.

:cheesy: This ^^^^!!

Honestly, the PS fenders are about the best looking metal fenders out there bar none but, I have personally seen them take really hard hits on the trail and, while they looked great after the fact, the body of the Jeep got pretty jacked up.

If you want to protect your sheet metal, I personally would recommend trimmed factory flares. They are the only thing I know of that will fold, bend or tear off if hit hard enough and not do damage to your body. That is why even though I can afford to run whatever I want, they are still what I run today :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ps flares will NOT damage your jeep. Just install the supplied supports and you want have a problem. Most people that say they cause damage has never seen it happen. ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Sorry, I have seen it happen a lot with EVERY hard flare including Xenon plastic ones and it is the reason why I don't run them.

That's funny cause myself and about 20 other rigs saw some damage from a hit to a tree on the rubicon this year.

And the only damage at that was caused by two poison spider products. But I guess I never saw it.

Yup, true story - I was there and was reminded yet again how hard flares CAUSE damage to the body. :yup:

Whats funny is I said most people not all. I've seen more damage from stock flares including myself. I've hit rocks and laid mine over and only received a few scratches.

Funny, I can't even count how many times my trimmed factory fenders have been hit, crushed, folded over and torn off and some of this has been captured on our videos and to this day, I still have no body damage from them. Please post up some pics of the damage you've suffered because of your trimmed factory flares as I would like to see what happened. Not being facetious here.

Blknblujeep

I am trying to decide between the smittybuilt xrc front and rear fender armor and the poison spyder metal fenders and rear corners. My biggest concern on the smittybuilt is them not actually having fenders to help protect against rocks and mud. I currently have bushwacker flat fenders and am not happy with them and looking to change them. Any advice or experience with either of them would be appreciated, also if anyone has pics that would be great. thx

I have the smittybilt xrc fenders. They are great and where a pain to install. Here's the thing u should think about before installing these. The fronts mount right the frame of the jeep. However the rears use nutcert to mount up to the sheet metal. So if ur rear curbed is damaged already, you may have problems installing.

dhughes

Banned
Sorry, I have seen it happen a lot with EVERY hard flare including Xenon plastic ones and it is the reason why I don't run them.

Yup, true story - I was there and was reminded yet again how hard flares CAUSE damage to the body. :yup:

Funny, I can't even count how many times my trimmed factory fenders have been hit, crushed, folded over and torn off and some of this has been captured on our videos and to this day, I still have no body damage from them. Please post up some pics of the damage you've suffered because of your trimmed factory flares as I would like to see what happened. Not being facetious here.

Why must people not completely read whats been posted before firing back. I said stock fenders not trimmed.

bl17z90

Why must people not completely read whats been posted before firing back. I said stock fenders not trimmed.

It does seem like leaving that lip on there would make them not bend as easily.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Fine, I have crushed and torn off my full factory fenders and on more than one occasion and did ZERO body damage. But, I can see where they could especially up front. Again, I would like to see pics of what damage was done with your non-trimmed factory flares. Not "firing back", just want to see what happened as I have not seen it happen before.

It does seem like leaving that lip on there would make them not bend as easily.

It's not the lip I would be concerned with, it's the sub-structure and how everything is tied in together making it more sturdy especially up front. Still, I have not seen it to be a problem in the past but, I could see it being one. Of course, I don't wheel with too many people who still have full flares anymore.

dhughes

Banned
Factory fender damage. If I would have had the ps fenders that wouldn't have happened to the fender. Hood maybe but not the fender

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385481088141.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385481088141.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 112

Blknblujeep

Factory fender damage. If I would have had the ps fenders that wouldn't have happened to the fender. Hood maybe but not the fender

Ouch. If you went with xrc fenders that panel would be removed. As for the hood good luck, that's a first for me.
In my eyes the xrc fenders protect alot and would of stopped that damage. But that me. Good luck with what u decide.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

:cheesy: You can believe that if you want. For the record, your factory fender did NOT cause that damage.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ouch. If you went with xrc fenders that panel would be removed. As for the hood good luck, that's a first for me.
In my eyes the xrc fenders protect alot and would of stopped that damage. But that me. Good luck with what u decide.

As most know, I'm not a big fan of Smittybilt but, I will have to say that I have seen their replacement fenders/armor take a beating.

Serg5000

There really isn't any way to determine what would have happened or not. However, if it helps you justify buying new fenders, then your statement is correct...................

Maybe!

I think the key to the stock fender flares being more compliant is the trimming. As pointed out the stock sub-structure can cause significant damage to the fender. (It happened to me)

The PSC flares come with some bracing to support the the sheet-metal which is why I choose them as replacements after fender was repaired and repainted. This said, we need to remember that the tub and front fender sub-structure is manufactured to crush and fold when impacted. There is little that can be done do prevent this. Adding hard fender flares only increases the odds of an impact as the "target" is moved out but it also distributes the impact and should result in less damage (If properly installed and braced).

I have "rubbed" a rock and a few trees with no damage. But if I "Hit" either I accept there could be more damage. In this case however, It is likely that the stock flare will fold and allow direct fender/tub impact anyway. (At least this is the case in the woods where I wheel. I accept that this may not be the case when playing in large rocks.)

Serg5000

Ok having given it some thought...... I think you should go with the smittybilt fenders. This way two things happen. You get the protection you need. And you can sell me the driver side fender I need. :)

dhughes

Banned
:cheesy: You can believe that if you want. For the record, your factory fender did NOT cause that damage.

Believe it? That's my jeep and I was driving. I know the fender damage came from the flares.

StrizzyChris

Believe it? That's my jeep and I was driving. I know the fender damage came from the flares

I have just been reading up to this point, as I had nothing of value or experience to add to this flare topic but this response made me chuckle. Did the flare jump up and beat the shit out of your hood too?

Maybe the PS flares would have help this danage, i dont know? But it looks like you took an impact and the flare didn't PROTECT your fender, but I see no damage in the photo that was CAUSED by running factory flares :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Believe it? That's my jeep and I was driving. I know the fender damage came from the flares.

You'll forgive me but, the damage to your fender is minor and came from whatever you hit. There is more damage to your hood than anything. Trying doing that again with your PS fenders - I have seen it and while the PS fender flare looked great afterwards, the ENTIRE side of the body was crumpled in. But hey, you can believe whatever it is you want to believe. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have just been reading up to this point, as I had nothing of value or experience to add to this flare topic but this response made me chuckle. Did the flare jump up and beat the shit out of your hood too?

Maybe the PS flares would have help this danage, i dont know? But it looks like you took an impact and the flare didn't PROTECT your fender, but I see no damage in the photo that was CAUSED by running factory flares :thinking:

Thanks Chris, clearly you saw what I saw :crazyeyes:

bl17z90

I am really suprised with as popular the idea of cutting stock flares is that no manufactuers have made their own version of flat fenders that break off and bend the same way as the stock ones. I feel like that would sell well to people who are afraid to cut theirs.

Top Bottom