Smittybuilt xrc or poison syder fenders

dhughes

Banned
Most of the hood damage came from the recovery. If you look at the you can see how its pulled out from the frame structure. Thats the damage from the flare. It was still attached after turning back over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have just been reading up to this point, as I had nothing of value or experience to add to this flare topic but this response made me chuckle. Did the flare jump up and beat the shit out of your hood too?

Maybe the PS flares would have help this danage, i dont know? But it looks like you took an impact and the flare didn't PROTECT your fender, but I see no damage in the photo that was CAUSED by running factory flares :thinking:

Agreed. I saw the same.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the hood damage came from the recovery. If you look at the you can see how its pulled out from the frame structure. Thats the damage from the flare. It was still attached after turning back over.

:cheesy: Whatever helps you to sleep better at night my friend. :thumb:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Agreed. I saw the same.

I don't see any damage. Just a little "character" on the front passenger side. :cheesy:

If I had to pick between the SB and PSC I'd go with PSC. They do look really nice. However, I too have seen them damage the body of the the jeep. Oh and if you paint them, you will be touching them up on a regular basis. :thumb:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I am really suprised with as popular the idea of cutting stock flares is that no manufactuers have made their own version of flat fenders that break off and bend the same way as the stock ones. I feel like that would sell well to people who are afraid to cut theirs.

If the bushwacker flares used OEM clips to mount, I would have bought them already.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

So you hit the flare which was dangling, but instead of tearing it off completely, you decided to attempt a recovery, which caused the fender to bind and cause said damage...blaming it on the flare is hardly accurate. It was your mistake for not removing the flare before attempting the recovery and preventing damage. If I take an OEM fender, remove it, and beat my hood with it, do you blame the flare?

Crush

So I guess the answer to my question is to gets different set of factory flares and cut them. That sounds like the best answer.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So I guess the answer to my question is to gets different set of factory flares and cut them. That sounds like the best answer.

lol yes long story short cutting your facorty fenders is the cheapest and best way to go in almost everyones opinion.

dhughes

Banned
So you hit the flare which was dangling, but instead of tearing it off completely, you decided to attempt a recovery, which caused the fender to bind and cause said damage...blaming it on the flare is hardly accurate. It was your mistake for not removing the flare before attempting the recovery and preventing damage. If I take an OEM fender, remove it, and beat my hood with it, do you blame the flare?

It was still attached not dangling. So I guess I should have levitated the jeep off the ground and removed the flare then started the recovery lol. Unless you saw the jeep and its recovery I would think all your doing is making speculations.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

It's what I would recommend.

Unless you saw the jeep and its recovery I would think all your doing is making speculations.

Just like you are in assuming that your PS fenders would not have caused any damage to the body of your Jeep.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It was still attached not dangling. So I guess I should have levitated the jeep off the ground and removed the flare then started the recovery lol. Unless you saw the jeep and its recovery I would think all your doing is making speculations.

Wait so what happened to the jeep? You flopped it? Or what happened. Sounds like there is a lot more to the story then you hit something and your factory flare caused a bunch of damage.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you who are interested, here are a few video clips that'll help show just how awesome a set of FREE trimmed factory fenders are.

First up, scroll to 7:08 and you will see where I hit my front fender hard enough on a tree that it gets torn off and I drive over it. At the top of the hill, I simply popped it back on and still have it on my Jeep to this day...

Yes, mcpuck is running EVO corners but, as you can see, is still running trimmed factory flares that he mashes off at 3:41 on this video. NO damage to the body and easy to replace...

In this clip, you will see a JK that had flopped with trimmed factory fenders. After pulling it right side up, you will see that one flare got torn off and the other was still mashed up BUT, there was NO body damage caused by them...

This is all I could find quickly but, I'm sure I can dig up all kinds of photos showing just how nice trimmed factory fenders really are and of course, the best part is that they are FREE!!

dhughes

Banned
Never said I just hit something. ..yeah I rolled it and unfortunately have done it since and the ps flares held the weight of the jeep without damaging the body.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Never said I just hit something. ..yeah I rolled it and unfortunately have done it since and the ps flares held the weight of the jeep without damaging the body.

By all means, please post up pics of your "rolled" Jeep being held up by your awesome PS fender. :thumb:

dhughes

Banned
Would love too but no pics. Only pic I have is the damage to the fender and rocker area.
u8apuma2.jpg
y9y6ehy7.jpg

eeftw

This is the reason why I'm just going to trim my stockers the more I think about it. You can pick up a fresh set of stock fenders on the cheap if something happens. You don't need an engineering degree to know that the force of the impact will transfer to the weaker metal IE the tub/front 1/4 panels, etc.

Think about the front of a vehicle during an impact... Metal does not absorb it transfers thats why the fronts of vehicles are designed to crumple...

Top Bottom