Smokey needs some V8 power.

First, and most importantly, congrats on the sticker!!! :drinks:

Correct. 6L80 transmission is required for this swap. It's a much better, 6 speed transmission. You can't use a rubicon transfer case. Atlas or a sport/Sahara will work. I'm using a sport t-case. And from what I've been told, an Atlas can't be used if your flat tow your Jeep on the ground.

I thought you could flat tow with a 2-speed Atlas? I seem to remember reading that it wasn't recommended with the 4-speed, but you could do it with the 2-speed. There were some limitations though, unlike with the stock transfer case.

EDIT: Ah, found it!
http://www.advanceadapters.com/knowledgebase/atlas-oil/
"DO NOT FLAT TOW an Atlas 4 Speed without removing the drive shafts! The planetary unit AND additional bearings will NOT receive the oil needed as they would under normal driving conditions- damage will occur! We can only recommend flat towing an Atlas 2 Speed (after the 500 mile break-in period) for a maximum distance of 300 miles and then starting up the vehicle and with transmission in gear and Atlas 2 Speed in neutral letting it idle for 5-10 minutes. If you do not wish to stop and circulate the oil, we actually prefer that you remove the drive shafts from the vehicle."

It's good to know that a 2 speed can be flat towed. It is a bit of a hassle with having to stop and circulate the fluid every 300 miles. If you forget, it could be disastrous. I'd probably start putting it on a trailer.

It's good to know that a 2 speed can be flat towed. It is a bit of a hassle with having to stop and circulate the fluid every 300 miles. If you forget, it could be disastrous. I'd probably start putting it on a trailer.

Might have to get some baby wheels so Mr. Smokey will fit on a trailer.

Hi Carl, I'm sorry to hear that you had to go this route. That said your doing a great build. I can't wait to see Mr. smokey at the drag strip. Also after having the atlas installed for a couple of years, think about installing it now if its an option. The atlas is just that good. 👊😃👊

Smokey's new engine is awesome. Plenty of power now. The engine swap still needs some fine tuning though.
I just dropped it off at Off Road Evolution to have a ProRock 44 installed. This needed to be done because after 83,000 miles, the stock front axle tubes were starting to bend at the connection to the diff housing.
Also, Mel is going to figure out how to protect the oil & transmission pans with a skid plate.

Hi Carl, I'm sorry to hear that you had to go this route. That said your doing a great build. I can't wait to see Mr. smokey at the drag strip. Also after having the atlas installed for a couple of years, think about installing it now if its an option. The atlas is just that good. 👊😃👊

For now I just opted for the sport t-case (can't use the Rubicon t-case). The Atlas 4 speed can't be used if flat towing. You can use the 2 speed but, I would have to stop and run the engine every 300 miles for 15 minutes. Maybe someday, if I decide to put it on a trailer.

Here is a not so good photo. I'll have to wait until I see it again for more.

Looked like it was at ORE. What's being done now?

Edit: good thing reading comprehension skills aren't part of my job description. ;)

Top Bottom