Smokey needs some V8 power.

Moochie

I would have been OK with my 3.8 for a few more years. Sometimes you have to do the unexpected. This will be quite the improvement though. :)

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I would have been OK with my 3.8 for a few more years. Sometimes you have to do the unexpected. This will be quite the improvement though. :)

I am looking forward to see how your build turns out, super jealous.:):thumbup:

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
No doubt about it, you are doing the right thing. Yank the turd and install the herd (of ponies, that is)!:yup:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
This is going to be an awesome build. It will be nice you can stop posting pics of poor smokey on the flatbeds! He will actually get some good trail time in and be able to keep up with Moby. :rock:

Congratulations! Should be nice not having to worry about breaking down.

Moochie

This is going to be an awesome build. It will be nice you can stop posting pics of poor smokey on the flatbeds! He will actually get some good trail time in and be able to keep up with Moby. :rock:

Congratulations! Should be nice not having to worry about breaking down.

Smokey likes getting rides on flat beds. I'm hoping that this will break him of the habit. Lately it's RubiCat that has been making him work so hard. :)

Krieger

I was doing some thinking and what about the Mopar 4.7 I had one of those in my Dodge and it was great.

Moochie

I was doing some thinking and what about the Mopar 4.7 I had one of those in my Dodge and it was great.

I don't know anything about the Mopar 4.7. Compared to the Hemi's, the LS 5.3 has an aluminum block which helps to keep the weight down to just a little more than the 3.8. The GM engine fits better and doesn't have over heating issues.

Last edited:

Krieger

I found an article on the 4.7 just some food for thought.

Chrysler’s first truly new V-8 since the 1960s, the Next Generation 4.7 (briefly dubbed “Corsair”) had better power, gas mileage, and emissions than the 318 V8 it replaced; a new truckV6, the 3.7, was based on it, as well. The engine was reportedly designed as a replacement for the 4-liter AMC I-6, with the 3.7 to replace the AMC 2.5. According to Bob Sheaves, the concept originated at AMC, before the company joined Chrysler.

EGR and knock sensors were added in 2005. In model year 2008, Chrysler replaced the 4.7 liter V8 with a new version. Power went from 230 hp to 290 hp (and up to 320 lb-feet of torque) with that move; gas mileage went up, and noise and vibration went down. The new 4.7-liter V-8 features 5.7-Hemi features such as two spark plugs per cylinder, with a high 9.8:1 compression ratio, and better port flow; but it has a new slant/squish combustion system design.

Refinements included significant revisions to the induction system, reduced reciprocating mass via a lightweight piston/rod assembly, and reduced accessory drive speed. A new normally open valve lash adjuster system smooths the engine at idle, while electronic throttle control is needed for new stability systems. The engine will be manufactured at the Mack Avenue Engine Complex in Detroit.

Production is slated to end in July 2013, according to “pgcooldad,” a date which corresponds to other sources. No plans have been raised for the plant itself; the 3.7 V6 equipment will move to Trenton in summer 2012. He wrote, “I believe that dealers want the 4.7L because they can offer the customer an upgrade, the Hemi. Once the Hemi is the base engine it no longer becomes ‘premium.’” The 3.6 V6 produces around the same horsepower, but falls around 60 lb-ft of torque short, an issue for trucks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know anything about the Mopar 4.7. Compared to the Hemi's, the LS 5.3 has an aluminum block which helps to keep the weight down to just a little more than the 3.8. The GM engine fits better and doesn't have over heating issues.

Just did a body test fit today and man, it was like a glove. We've seen HEMI installs and it literally requires the serious beating in of the firewall to get it to clear. The LS is a MUCH better fit.

Moochie

Just did a body test fit today and man, it was like a glove. We've seen HEMI installs and it literally requires the serious beating in of the firewall to get it to clear. The LS is a MUCH better fit.

I should be seeing body - chassis separation soon.

munstie

Man you guys are killing me with the V-8 swaps, hit a few muddy nasty hills at Redbird last week that laughed at my 3.8

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

Top Bottom