Snorkel? Or Snorkel!

KYRubi

Here's the deepest water I go through. No snorkel needed since I don't go deeper since I don't want to destroy the Jeep. The breathers are extended though. The bottom was pretty solid this trip. Sometimes the bypass to the left is the only way possible.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I understand that not everyone makes water crossings or never goes into mud, but some of us do. A snorkel is not a fool proof plan. I just figured it's cheaper to replace some electrical components as opposed to sucking it into the engine block and dealing with that. I could be wrong though.

No, not everyone does but some of us do. That being said, what's more fool proof than a snorkel is knowledge. As I have said before, I have yet to see or hear about a trail here in America where a snorkel is "needed". This is not to say that I haven't personally seen and assisted rigs that had hydro-locked their motors but all those instances were the result of driver error or just plain stupidity. Speed is your enemy when it comes to water crossings, you can ruin an engine in just a puddle if you hit it too fast. I know a guy who ruined his brand new JK with less than 500 miles on it doing just that. If you take your time and slowly push through the water, you'd be surprised at how deep your Jeep can go without a snorkel.

Of course, if you like to play in water or mud like a moron, a snorkel might be useful to have. :crazyeyes:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Well, I am an odd one out on this because I kind of like snorkels and may end up putting one on Shark Tank after some other more important stuff. I don't really have any intentions of going hood deep in water (been there and done that in my K-5 Blazer and the results were pricey.) That said, I'm not always great about slowing down for large puddles. I get it...I'm childish...but there is just something about a huge-ass plume of water flying up in the air and covering my rig that brings a smile to my face.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've run the AEV snorkel on both my JK's now. Did I ever need it? Nope.. Too shit scared to take my Jeep into water that deep..

I use the ram scoop around town. It's great for collecting bugs in your air box.
On tours in the bush I put on the hamster bowl (precleaner). It catches plenty dust, but so does a stock paper filter I guess.

Before the 3.6 snorkel version came out the AEV ones were pretty affordable and a great "Why not" mod.
The new model seems a bit pricy to me.

I guess snorkel is one of those rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it kinda mod.

But personally after owning two I'd say get a snorkel as the cherry on top after you don't know what to mod next on your Jeep.

And there's nothing wrong with wanting a snorkel just because you want one or like the way it looks. I just haven't seen the "need" for one here in America. But of course, that's just me. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I am an odd one out on this because I kind of like snorkels and may end up putting one on Shark Tank after some other more important stuff. I don't really have any intentions of going hood deep in water (been there and done that in my K-5 Blazer and the results were pricey.) That said, I'm not always great about slowing down for large puddles. I get it...I'm childish...but there is just something about a huge-ass plume of water flying up in the air and covering my rig that brings a smile to my face.

And, there's nothing wrong with that :crazyeyes:

TwistedJK

Yeah I try to be as careful as I can in unknown crossings, but it is fun to crash through some of the less deep mud holes lol. The kiddies love it to. I also made that mistake with the top off one day. All fun though. I'd be lying if I didn't think it looked cool too.

TwistedJK

This one sucked some water into the intake. I started off slow and it was only about a foot deep. Got stupid and floored it and as you can see it dropped off a little. It shut right off and I was winched out by a utv, it had a Warn 3klb winch lol. Flat towed it back to a local shop where it liked mud out of the exhaust. Only thing I had to replace my starter. I got lucky. But when you play sometimes, you pay lol.
image.jpeg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a shot of Mel slowly crossing Fordyce Creek when the water was low - he still took on about an inch of water. This creek needs to be forded at this point in order to continue on the trail. Can you see what size tires he's running?
main.php

This might help out a bit. Here's a shot of my friend Jeff who followed him in. At the time, he was running 35" tires. He took on about 6" of water. What size tires was Mel running?
main.php

BTW - no snorkel was needed.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I see them as a bit of insurance depending on how and where you drive...and I don't mind the looks at all. The biggest drawback to me is the supposed power loss.

WJCO

Meme King
Here's a shot of Mel slowly crossing Fordyce Creek when the water was low - he still took on about an inch of water. This creek needs to be forded at this point in order to continue on the trail. Can you see what size tires he's running?

I'm guessing 40s or bigger.

Havoc40

I see them as a bit of insurance depending on how and where you drive...and I don't mind the looks at all. The biggest drawback to me is the supposed power loss.

I'll admit I haven't done much research on current snorkels and their designs. This is the 1st I've heard of people losing power, though? Is there restriction from the intake length or increased micron filters being used? It should be getting clean and cool air at all times. Cooler air is denser, thus making more power :thinking:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I'll admit I haven't done much research on current snorkels and their designs. This is the 1st I've heard of people losing power, though? Is there restriction from the intake length or increased micron filters being used? It should be getting clean and cool air at all times. Cooler air is denser, thus making more power :thinking:

Did I notice any power loss with my volant? no clue, but it does add about 5 feet more that the air needs to be pulled through before it hits the filter...gotta remember its like a super long cold air intake.

Top Bottom