SoCal Group

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Not sure yet . Was gonna checkout Odessa canyon but know you guys just want recently . Anything else fun nearby ?

Otherwise could try to hit Big Bear and see if we can’t catch some ❄️

How about Briggs Camp in Death Valley?? I've never been there but it looks interesting. The book says Difficult. 1k' to about 4k' elevation. After these storms there may be snow. Trailhead is near the Ghost town of Ballarat. It's supposed to be about 5 miles and 2 hours long. For me it will take a little over 3 hours the get to Ballarat from home, not much different than Calico.

jdofmemi

As long as my replacement brake line comes in, I'm in.

I haven't been out there in a long time. There is some really cool history there, and now is the time of year to go.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
How about Briggs Camp in Death Valley?? I've never been there but it looks interesting. The book says Difficult. 1k' to about 4k' elevation. After these storms there may be snow. Trailhead is near the Ghost town of Ballarat. It's supposed to be about 5 miles and 2 hours long. For me it will take a little over 3 hours the get to Ballarat from home, not much different than Calico.

Yah I might be down for this on Saturday . Is it part of the Pleasant Canyon Loop? Can’t find it on all trails . One I see is easy to moderate and listed as a big 26 mi loop . I might stay out there Saturday night to minimize driving depending on plan

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Yah I might be down for this on Saturday . Is it part of the Pleasant Canyon Loop? Can’t find it on all trails . One I see is easy to moderate and listed as a big 26 mi loop . I might stay out there Saturday night to minimize driving depending on plan

It looks like we pass the entrance to Pleasant canyon on the way to the trailhead according to the book. Looking at Pleasant Cyn in the book you could make it a loop with Briggs. The only issue I see doing that this time is Pleasant goes up to about 65oo' and is probable impassable with snow.

Staying Saturday night would be exceptionally cold....

jdofmemi

If staying out there, Ridgecrest is pretty much the only choice.

Also, gas is hit and miss in Trona. The last time I was there, about a year ago, they were back to two gas stations, but such months before that there was no gas. Plan accordingly.

When it does snow out there, it rarely comes down far enough for more than a dusting at the top of Pleasant Canyon.

Pleasant Canyon has several historical mining sites, cabins, tramways, and various vehicles.

There are some harder trails out there, but I don't have experience with.

My favorite got closed many years ago, Surprise Canyon.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
If staying out there, Ridgecrest is pretty much the only choice.

Also, gas is hit and miss in Trona. The last time I was there, about a year ago, they were back to two gas stations, but such months before that there was no gas. Plan accordingly.

When it does snow out there, it rarely comes down far enough for more than a dusting at the top of Pleasant Canyon.

Pleasant Canyon has several historical mining sites, cabins, tramways, and various vehicles.

There are some harder trails out there, but I don't have experience with.

My favorite got closed many years ago, Surprise Canyon.

The one thing about snow this time is it's forecast to come down to 1500-2000'....
I was in Trona a few months ago.. gas wasn't an issue. Def need to fill there.

SkyRubi18

Anyone interested to hit Big Bear area tomorrow when the storm is going I’ll be out and slamming through that white for sure let me know if you want to participate be prepared for some winching and getting stuck that’s what it is about some crazy stuff is awaiting carry food and water plus enough clothes [emoji1605]

MericaMade

Anyone interested to hit Big Bear area tomorrow when the storm is going I’ll be out and slamming through that white for sure let me know if you want to participate be prepared for some winching and getting stuck that’s what it is about some crazy stuff is awaiting carry food and water plus enough clothes [emoji1605]

Was in Big Bear last Saturday and snow was a few feet deep on some trails and super fun. I would pay close attention to the road conditions going up and down unless you know the trails and how to avoid the highways all together like we did. On Sunday it was taking people 6-8 hours to get down the mountain and CHP was turning people back around and sending them back up to Big Bear to stay the night. Didn't help that both the 18 and 38 were closed. Have fun wish I could join but got other plans.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Fun time up in Panamint Valley with Don Jerry and Jordan yesterday . Not enough rocks or snow but great scenery and company . We went from Ballarat up to Briggs Camp and then dis loop coming back down Pleasant Canyon. Here are some Jeep shots from the trip .

IMG_1414.JPG
IMG_1442.JPG
IMG_1430.JPG
IMG_1426.JPG
IMG_1436.JPG
IMG_1451.JPG
IMG_1453.JPG
IMG_1427.JPG

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Yep, Great time even though as it turns out these trails are now pretty easy. If it wasn't for the mud and snow at the top you almost don't need 4WD for these trails. There are narrow parts with steep drop offs but overall I'd categorize them as easy trails.

rubiDave

Fun time up in Panamint Valley with Don Jerry and Jordan yesterday . Not enough rocks or snow but great scenery and company . We went from Ballarat up to Briggs Camp and then dis loop coming back down Pleasant Canyon. Here are some Jeep shots from the trip .

View attachment 321676
View attachment 321677
View attachment 321678
View attachment 321679
View attachment 321680
View attachment 321681
View attachment 321682
View attachment 321683

Dan, did you trim your bumper and pinch seam already? Can't tell from the pics. Any issues with the new 37s?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Dan, did you trim your bumper and pinch seam already? Can't tell from the pics. Any issues with the new 37s?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I trimmed the rear seam by cutting notches and hammering flat then painting .. didn’t trim the rubicon rails at the front of the rear wheel well.

Have not trimmed front bumper yet but will as soon as I can borrow a sawzall and have a free weekend day.

No issues but as mentioned by Don, trails were easy so not much flex testing . Planning a more robust test soon

PokerStogey

View attachment 321717

Chopped end of bumper off with a sawzall . Should be good to go

Looks good man! Also... learn any tricks when putting those Coopers on your Machetes by chance? I just picked mine up Friday and Mel said Coopers are a huge pain in the ass to mount. Trying to decided if I’m going to wait for the 37’s or just break down the 35’s and get them on there. IMG_7704.jpg

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Looks good man! Also... learn any tricks when putting those Coopers on your Machetes by chance? I just picked mine up Friday and Mel said Coopers are a huge pain in the ass to mount. Trying to decided if I’m going to wait for the 37’s or just break down the 35’s and get them on there. View attachment 321751

Unfortunately.. mounting them for us was a 3 person job . we simple greened the beads and then put the tire on the wheel and stomped/ jumped on the tire until it seated. The last step took someone standing on the rim to keep it from lifting and 2 jumping on the tire.

Then used flat head screw drivers and mallet to seat the bead all the way around . Torquing bolts was pretty standard albeit time consuming . All tires aired up fine .

Wasn’t too bad but I dunno how I could have done it without help 🤷🏻*♂️

Top Bottom