Spiderweb shades review

devonn216

You can also get a 10% forum discount if you call and order directly from spiderwebs

Edit: actually im not sure if thats for military of forum. they were sort of unclear about it

Last edited:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Spiderweb Shade vs. Alien Shade

Big thread resurrection! Since summer is getting closer, I’m looking into purchasing a sun shade for Oscar. Browsing the Spiderweb Shade website I found what I consider to be the ultimate in flexibility and good looks:

Jkini - Front Shade

IMG_9130.JPG

JK-4D Rear

IMG_9130.JPG

Total Cost = $146 w/5 year warranty. Black would be the color of choice.

I was about to order and stumbled across the Alien Shade alternative:

IMG_9128.JPG

IMG_9129.JPG

The fitment looks a little nicer and the tank color is an option that SWS doesn’t offer.

Total Cost = $108 w/10 year warranty

Based on the numbers and preference, the Alien Shade wins in all categories. What I don’t like is that I cannot find anything concrete on where they are made. They state that they are an American company based somewhere around Toledo, but they don’t tout that their products are American made. Kind of bazaar since they use words like transparency and midwestern values to describe their business practices. Spiderweb Shade on the other hand is made in Florida, although who knows where the materials come from. They do have a good reputation and I know a lot of the folks here have them.

At this point I’m looking for reasons not to go with Alien Shade. Thank you in advance for any advice or opinions you care to share!

Chris

fiend

Caught the Bug
Well there you have it. Edward has spoken.

Seriously though, their “about us” page says: “We paired with designers and manufacturers to create the products we wanted.” Usually that’s code for: our products are made in China.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Spiderweb Shade vs. Alien Shade

Big thread resurrection! Since summer is getting closer, I’m looking into purchasing a sun shade for Oscar. Browsing the Spiderweb Shade website I found what I consider to be the ultimate in flexibility and good looks:

Jkini - Front Shade

View attachment 326813

JK-4D Rear

View attachment 326814

Total Cost = $146 w/5 year warranty. Black would be the color of choice.

I was about to order and stumbled across the Alien Shade alternative:

View attachment 326815

View attachment 326816

The fitment looks a little nicer and the tank color is an option that SWS doesn’t offer.

Total Cost = $108 w/10 year warranty

Based on the numbers and preference, the Alien Shade wins in all categories. What I don’t like is that I cannot find anything concrete on where they are made. They state that they are an American company based somewhere around Toledo, but they don’t tout that their products are American made. Kind of bazaar since they use words like transparency and midwestern values to describe their business practices. Spiderweb Shade on the other hand is made in Florida, although who knows where the materials come from. They do have a good reputation and I know a lot of the folks here have them.

At this point I’m looking for reasons not to go with Alien Shade. Thank you in advance for any advice or opinions you care to share!

Chris

I’ve had a couple spiderweb shades and never had a problem with them. I’m running the full jk-4d now and honestly never take it off (even when my hard top is on) so I wouldn’t personally need the front and back as separate panels. That would save you $50 if you went that route. Never had or seen an Alienshade but I’m sure they’re fine as well.

BaddestCross

I've had the Alien Shade since I've owned the Jeep and I also have the Spider Shades that go on my trail doors.

The Alien Shade is well made, fits my 2 door well (I have the Safari top size that covers the back passengers as well), and has actually held it's color better than the Spider Shades. I'd buy it again.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

fiend

Caught the Bug
I have had a Spiderwebshade for at least several years. It has faded a bit and some of the bungies stretched. But that’s to be expected and I have no problem recommending it.

I also have an Alien trail bag, which is made of the same material as their sun shade. It’s well made and has held up well, although it emits a strong plastic/industrial smell, which would be annoying if it were a top. It hasn’t faded, but to be fair, it hasn’t been in the sun nearly as much as the spider top.
20190404_162017.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Just out of curiosity, why is American made important in this but not on the cheap Chinese programmer? Just buy the cheaper one.

Having it be American made would be a bonus. I just thought that the wording was strange on the website. All things being equal I’d rather buy American. In this case, there are features that I like better with the cheaper one, but I also value quality. That’s why I asked for recommendations and opinions.

JC113

I know my full length Spiderweb was one of the first things I bought for my Jeep. Its been on there for about 4 years, only reason I've removed it has been to scrub mud out of it. I'm surenif I pull on them hard enough I would stretch a couple of the bungies some but it hasn't faded at all (mines black).

I remember reading somewhere that Alien strait up copied Spiderweb Shade but they apparently give you a dorky little alien toy

I know my full length Spiderweb was one of the first things I bought for my Jeep. Its been on there for about 4 years, only reason I've removed it has been to scrub mud out of it. I'm surenif I pull on them hard enough I would stretch a couple of the bungies some but it hasn't faded at all (mines black).

I remember reading somewhere that Alien strait up copied Spiderweb Shade but they apparently give you a dorky little alien toy

What!! I never got an alien toy... it did have a sticker though.

JC113

It was a selling point in an email I got a little while ago, even though I have no clue how I ended up on a mailing list. Maby its a newer thing? All I know is i got a shirt with my SWS, but I bought it at Bantam Jeep Fest and I think it was a festival promotion

sipafz

Caught the Bug
For anybody interested, Amazon Prime Day Promotions include 10% off Spiderweb Shade products along with the usual free shipping:

IMG_9402.jpg

I chose the JKini and paid less than $50 with the 10% discount, free shipping and a $10 Whole Foods Prime Day Credit:

IMG_9403.jpg

Primo82

Caught the Bug
So I'm thinking in buying the spider webs tomorrow, but before I like to know of is worth the money
Also do you feel the wind when driving topless with the webs on?

The spider shades are good. I would recommend purchasing one.

I have a 4 door jku. I bought the single shade that covers the front and back compartments. They also sell a shade that is 2 piece and covers the front and back portions with out going over soundbar. In hindsight I would recommend purchasing the 2 piece configuration. It will be easier hitting freedom top levers in the middle of the vehicle. It's somewhat of a reach with the full shade.

I purchased the white shade. It was only white for the first 6 months or so in the sun. It has slowly turned a yellowish due to the sunlight interacting with the colorant or polymer. I should have expected this to happen. Still happy with my pee yellow shade.

Edit: Actually I think I purchased the Alien Shade. Still worth it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom