Steering advice - maybe broke something?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Steering advise - maybe broke something?

185 ft/lbs is correct.

225 for/lbs is for the PSC XDII Box

I would do what Eddie said first, before pulling anything of.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

boardsurfer

Well, here is what I can see.

The frame side track bar bracket is solid. The axle side looks good as well. No signs of movement there.

Tie rod is straight aside from the textbook Synergy flop.

Here is the sector shaft:
IMG_20171111_111904.jpg

Maybe I can bust out the pressure washer to get a clean look, but I dont see any twisting in the splines there.

The only thing that looks a little off is a bit of a bend in the drag link. This is an Evo flip kit, but I dont recall if this is normal:
IMG_20171111_112818.jpg

I also looked at the linkage between the steering box and the firewall. Everything there looks ok. No bending or twisting that I can see. I had the wife crank the wheel around and that all looks solid. :idontknow:

J

JKDream

Random thought- if you have hydraulic ram assist and somehow break a sector shaft, you'd still have steering right?

I was thinking about this yesterday as well. I don't see why you wouldn't, fluid is still moving to the ram.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, here is what I can see.

The frame side track bar bracket is solid. The axle side looks good as well. No signs of movement there.

I also looked at the linkage between the steering box and the firewall. Everything there looks ok. No bending or twisting that I can see. I had the wife crank the wheel around and that all looks solid. :idontknow:

At a glance, your sector shaft looks okay to me. Typically, a steering wheel being off after a hard hit is caused by something that is bent. If all really is okay, could be your drag link turn buckle just rotated. Hard to say for sure.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Random thought- if you have hydraulic ram assist and somehow break a sector shaft, you'd still have steering right?

You will have "some" steering - maybe like 10% of what you would normally have but it is something and enough to move you around... a bit. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes2:

zimm

Caught the Bug
You will have "some" steering - maybe like 10% of what you would normally have but it is something and enough to move you around... a bit. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes2:

Good to know. We manually steered a JK 2 miles up Kane Creek, Moab at night with a broken sector shaft. Going up hamburger hill in the dark with no steering SUCKED. Luckily someone in Moab had an XD box in stock. I was hoping that won't happen to me in the future.

boardsurfer

At a glance, your sector shaft looks okay to me. Typically, a steering wheel being off after a hard hit is caused by something that is bent. If all really is okay, could be your drag link turn buckle just rotated. Hard to say for sure.

A couple weeks ago I installed an evo level kit on my wifes Jeep. It just occurred to me that when I centered her steering wheel, the turnbuckle was easily rotated by hand. Mine on the other hand required a big pair of channel lock pliers to get it to move. Maybe those threads in there are chewed up after all.

BaddestCross

A couple weeks ago I installed an evo level kit on my wifes Jeep. It just occurred to me that when I centered her steering wheel, the turnbuckle was easily rotated by hand. Mine on the other hand required a big pair of channel lock pliers to get it to move. Maybe those threads in there are chewed up after all.
Like I said in the beginning of this thread, make sure that the bolts that tighten it down are positioned like so...
18050.jpeg
Otherwise it will come loose and your steering wheel will turn off center.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Slimebones

I feel your pain Jake. Very frustrating to not be able to put a finger on something. When it comes to mechanical things, there should be an explanation to everything. I went through this mindfuck just as you are doing and never did find something that definitely explained it. Really hard to believe that those threads on the adjuster could slip like that if the clamp is properly tightened.

Did you ever hear back from Aermotor on what he found wrong with his?

Last edited:

Slimebones

In your first post here you said the adjuster turned easily but in post #34 you mentioned you needed a big pair of channel locks to get it to turn. What gives here? Are we missing something?

boardsurfer

So how do the threads look?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Didnt get a chance to open it up. You know, honey-do's and all. If I get it apart and the threads are chewed up, I fear I wont get it back together.

In your first post here you said the adjuster turned easily but in post #34 you mentioned you needed a big pair of channel locks to get it to turn. What gives here? Are we missing something?

I only said that I adjusted it with tools, i.e. socket and channel locks. ;)

My wife's Jeep has the one that turns easily.

Last edited:
Top Bottom