Steering advice - maybe broke something?

boardsurfer

LOL - as long as it works.

Alright, if you're here looking for closure I'm afraid I dont have it. I took apart the drag link to see the threads inside hoping they were mangled so I could at least have something to blame.

This is the pitman arm end. It's pretty hard to judge, but the threads all look uniform at least and there is no sign of damage there.
IMG_20171219_174608.jpg

This is inside the collar which isnt a really helpful photo other than to see all the grime that collects in there. But the threads inside look fine to my untrained eye.
IMG_20171219_174646.jpg

So as far as having the steering wheel so far off center after hitting the wall, this leaves the steering box itself as the culprit, or whatever linkage is between the box and the steering wheel. Im not too concerned about it, but I dont know if I should be. :idontknow:

TrailHunter

Hooked
So as far as having the steering wheel so far off center after hitting the wall, this leaves the steering box itself as the culprit, or whatever linkage is between the box and the steering wheel. Im not too concerned about it, but I dont know if I should be. :idontknow:

Did you ever figure this out? Same exact thing happened to me this weekend. Got off the trail and my steering wheel was at 90*. The coupler rotated just fine and I centered the wheel before heading home. I assumed the Drag link was bent as it clearly pushed up and hit the stabilizer motor ( I can see the rub marks). So today I picked up a new draglink... and it has the exact same bend. (I have a spare now :crazyeyes:) So now I am paranoid the force of the hit damaged the sector shaft. Or maybe the threads jumped on the drag link coupler... but I just didn't notice any signs of that.

BaddestCross

...Or maybe the threads jumped on the drag link coupler... but I just didn't notice any signs of that.

I'd put my money on this one. Did you align the clamps on the coupler properly so the bolts are perpendicular to the opening of the sleeve? If not, you can tighten the bolts all you want but the threads will slip when under stress.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
I'd put my money on this one. Did you align the clamps on the coupler properly so the bolts are perpendicular to the opening of the sleeve? If not, you can tighten the bolts all you want but the threads will slip when under stress.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Need to check this out on mine . Steering wheel alignment slips 10-20 degrees every time out

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked

--

I saw what you said in the thread... after I posted here I checked.... and nope, not perpendicular. I don’t remember ever rotating them... that’s got to be it. They must have jumped. I’ll rotate it correctly tomorrow.

I still want to address the Sector shaft though. I really don’t want Hydro for 35’s... The sector shaft braces seem gimmicky and the XD big bore has been pulled from the website... so now I’m not sure what the best route is.

BaddestCross

I saw what you said in the thread... after I posted here I checked.... and nope, not perpendicular. I don’t remember ever rotating them... that’s got to be it. They must have jumped. I’ll rotate it correctly tomorrow.

I still want to address the Sector shaft though. I really don’t want Hydro for 35’s... The sector shaft braces seem gimmicky and the XD big bore has been pulled from the website... so now I’m not sure what the best route is.
Lol. Didn't realize I posted in this thread before. [emoji23]

As much as everyone touts PSC, the Redneck Ram setup is amazing. I wish I would've gone with it sooner. Even with 35s.

--

TrailHunter

Hooked
Lol. Didn't realize I posted in this thread before. [emoji23]

As much as everyone touts PSC, the Redneck Ram setup is amazing. I wish I would've gone with it sooner. Even with 35s.

--

The pricing is great for sure... but I like the way the steering feels right now and I never once felt like I needed more at MJT. I need to wheel it more before I decide.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Did you ever figure this out? Same exact thing happened to me this weekend. Got off the trail and my steering wheel was at 90*. The coupler rotated just fine and I centered the wheel before heading home. I assumed the Drag link was bent as it clearly pushed up and hit the stabilizer motor ( I can see the rub marks). So today I picked up a new draglink... and it has the exact same bend. (I have a spare now :crazyeyes:) So now I am paranoid the force of the hit damaged the sector shaft. Or maybe the threads jumped on the drag link coupler... but I just didn't notice any signs of that.

Are you sure it’s exactly the same bend? Did you swap it out? I bent mine at one point and you couldn’t tell without putting them side by side

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bierpower

Hooked
When my drag link bent, the flattened section just rotated slightly. My steering was off 90* but everything looked fine until I started looking really close.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

rubiDave

That happened to me too last year after a hard hit on the trail. I figured the stock drag link was bent, and I just adjusted the coupler. When I put the lift on I replaced the draglink with a RHD. After running Dishpan, Holcomb and JB the steering was off again, maybe 45 degrees. I adjusted it before heading home. Shortly after I started getting some wobble if I hit a pothole which progressively got worse over a few weeks. I finally found just a little bit of play at the pitman end of the drag link. I ended up replacing the whole thing with a Currie DL.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
That happened to me too last year after a hard hit on the trail. I figured the stock drag link was bent, and I just adjusted the coupler. When I put the lift on I replaced the draglink with a RHD. After running Dishpan, Holcomb and JB the steering was off again, maybe 45 degrees. I adjusted it before heading home. Shortly after I started getting some wobble if I hit a pothole which progressively got worse over a few weeks. I finally found just a little bit of play at the pitman end of the drag link. I ended up replacing the whole thing with a Currie DL.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I got the same wobble coming off MJT... every pothole caused it. I was thinking the same thing about the Pitman arm end. I actually had someone shimmy the steering wheel while I felt it, but it seemed ok. Maybe there wasn’t enough resistance. I think I’ll order a new one... I’ve got 2 years on it and it’s takin some hits for sure. I’m going to wait on a Heavy Duty Drag-link though... my concern is the Sector shaft taking all the force at that point.

boardsurfer

I have pretty much replaced everything in the steering system at this point (not because of this particular issue) but my best guess is the turnbuckle on the draglink was too weak to hold the threads. The Synergy draglink has a different method of adjustment and it hasnt budged since it was installed.

Top Bottom