Steering...again

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to rule out the stabilizer, I would take it off and test drive the Jeep. Just to see. Stabilizers can be very deceiving in hiding issues and it's the one part you can't get inside of to really see if something is wrong with it.

Agreed ^^^^

I would say 10-15 degrees.

That sounds 100% normal in my opinion/experience. It's pretty normal to see that much when you're checking it at a stop (like in your driveway).

Agreed again ^^^^

132JKPNW

That sounds 100% normal in my opinion/experience. It's pretty normal to see that much when you're checking it at a stop (like in your driveway).

Maybe i need to clear this up a bit, the steering wheel in the driveway feels like it has always felt, tight, with what i though was normal "slop". The difference now is how it recently has transferred that slop to my driving input/ corrections. Its much more of a pain in the ass now than say...3 weeks ago (no significant event). Thats really whats concerning me now. BTW, my 3yr/36000K warranty expired last month...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They are tight. Does the drag link sleeve look light it might be threaded out too far? Ive never adjusted it personally, always been firestone.

Not necessarily. Have you verified what your toe-in is set at and maybe you went over this already but, have you verified that your track bar bolts are tightened to 125 ft. lbs. of torque?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe i need to clear this up a bit, the steering wheel in the driveway feels like it has always felt, tight, with what i though was normal "slop". The difference now is how it recently has transferred that slop to my driving input/ corrections. Its much more of a pain in the ass now than say...3 weeks ago (no significant event). Thats really whats concerning me now. BTW, my 3yr/36000K warranty expired last month...

If you're steering box feels nice and tight in your driveway, you most likely do NOT have a problem with your steering box. As WJCO mentioned, I would remove your steering stabilizer and see if that makes any difference.

132JKPNW

Well, if it were me, I would start with the free stuff. Tighten it up to 185 ft. lbs. of torque just to make sure it's not your problem.

This ^^^ How much movement are we talking about here?

Also, is there any chance that maybe you've hit your steering stabilizer wheeling? Any chance the shaft is bent or the can slightly crushed?

No chance because i now live in MS and don't bother wheeling down here except a one a year trip to stoney lonesome in North Alabama last February.

WJCO

Meme King

It sure doesn't sound like your gear box is the problem, but it is strange that it got worse a few weeks ago. Double check track bar ends too. A shifting track bar end can cause some really weird handling. Also, if you do find the cause and it is a factory component, sometimes a dealer may be able to help with a claim after warranty has just expired where you only pay a portion, worth asking about. Not sure in your situation, but you have to find out what is causing it first.

132JKPNW

It sure doesn't sound like your gear box is the problem, but it is strange that it got worse a few weeks ago. Double check track bar ends too. A shifting track bar end can cause some really weird handling. Also, if you do find the cause and it is a factory component, sometimes a dealer may be able to help with a claim after warranty has just expired where you only pay a portion, worth asking about. Not sure in your situation, but you have to find out what is causing it first.

getting the jeep back on stands right now to re check everything, in the mean time, how much can my wheel bearings or hub assembly cause the flighty feeling in your experience. Again, they don't seem that bad, but I'm not a mechanic either.

jeeeep

Hooked
also check the nut on your steering shaft - make sure it's snug, mine works loose and makes it feel like the slop is greater than it really is

steering_shaft.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
getting the jeep back on stands right now to re check everything

You should be tightening your track bar bolts with the full weight of your Jeep on the ground.

in the mean time, how much can my wheel bearings or hub assembly cause the flighty feeling in your experience. Again, they don't seem that bad, but I'm not a mechanic either.

How much caster do you have? Or, do you even have adjustable front lower control arms to set it?

WJCO

Meme King
in the mean time, how much can my wheel bearings or hub assembly cause the flighty feeling in your experience. Again, they don't seem that bad, but I'm not a mechanic either.

When checking wheel bearings at 12oclock and 6 oclock, they should have ZERO play. If you feel play, make sure it's not your ball joints, if ball joint play is bad enough, it can feel like wheel bearing play. With a jack or jack stand under the axle, use a prybar under the tire and pry up on it while you visually look at the ball joints. If they move visually at all, they're likely bad. OEM specs are right around .060 (1/16").

one thing i never mentioned was that my tires are at 26 PSI. (2DR)

I would bump them up to 28 or 29, but I doubt that has anything to do with your issue.

132JKPNW

You should be tightening your track bar bolts with the full weight of your Jeep on the ground.

How much caster do you have? Or, do you even have adjustable front lower control arms to set it?

Not sure but it's the metalcloak game changer arb edition. Installed by Northridge4x4 in Silverdale wa three years ago. Haven't adjusted it since, only checked for tightness.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure but it's the metalcloak game changer arb edition. Installed by Northridge4x4 in Silverdale wa three years ago. Haven't adjusted it since, only checked for tightness.

Click on the link below to see a write-up I did that will help you to figure things out.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

Check your caster and see where it's at. Flightiness at highway speeds is typically something you'd feel with too little caster.

Anything look wrong with this...

Not necessarily.

132JKPNW

Click on the link below to see a write-up I did that will help you to figure things out.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

Check your caster and see where it's at. Flightiness at highway speeds is typically something you'd feel with too little caster.

Not necessarily.

It drive great down the highway. I do 75-80 with zero issues...unless it's windy just the shitty roads that send me all over the place, way more than it used too

WJCO

Meme King
Anything look wrong with this...

Almost looks like it's rubbing on one side of the bracket, but what really matters is that the sleeve inside is clamped between the brackets when you tighten the bolt. The accurate way to check that bushing is with the vehicle on the ground, have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look for movement there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It drive great down the highway. I do 75-80 with zero issues...unless it's windy just the shitty roads that send me all over the place, way more than it used too

Sorry, thought I saw you mention something about having this problem of yours most noticeable at around 45-55 mph.

Going back to where we started, have you checked the list of things mentioned above?

Top Bottom