Steering...again

132JKPNW

Sounds to me like you've fixed your problem. You should be good to go - congrats :thumb:

Thanks again. Hopefully i wont be doing that again anytime soon. It was a real ass pain making those adapters work. Finally ended up grinding one down to angle it like the Chrysler Kit. Work great after that. 4 hours on the first side...1.5 on the other.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks again. Hopefully i wont be doing that again anytime soon. It was a real ass pain making those adapters work. Finally ended up grinding one down to angle it like the Chrysler Kit. Work great after that. 4 hours on the first side...1.5 on the other.

:cheesy: Oh man, I have so been there and done that. So glad that you were finally able to get this fixed and without having to throw more money at your Jeep than was needed. :thumb:

132JKPNW

So cool you fixed it. And I hope it fixed your original symptom of fighting the steering too. You should be fine. All DW experiences I have had have been below 55mph, but maybe that's just me. I wouldn't worry about yours unless you feel like it's starting to come back again.

It does feel a lot better and i think ill be leaving my SS of for now. At least it wasn't my steering box haha. BTW, I called the dealership to get a quote on ball joints. $771. Cost me about $200! Plus beer.

WJCO

Meme King
It does feel a lot better and i think ill be leaving my SS of for now. At least it wasn't my steering box haha. BTW, I called the dealership to get a quote on ball joints. $771. Cost me about $200! Plus beer.

Lol. It's a good 4-5 hours of work. It's been a long time since I did a set of those style of ball joints. I sure don't miss it.

132JKPNW

Lol. It's a good 4-5 hours of work. It's been a long time since I did a set of those style of ball joints. I sure don't miss it.

Well i would still be working on it if it wasn't for yalls help and searching through the forum. I think ill stay a while.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well i would still be working on it if it wasn't for yalls help and searching through the forum. I think ill stay a while.

Glad that we've been able to help you. There are some out there who think we provide bad information and that you should be getting your answers from a shop that wants to sell you parts. I look forward to seeing you on the forum. :cool:

jeeeep

Hooked
The autozone rental should have the correct Chrysler/Ram adapters that you need. If I recall, it's an OTC 7894

View attachment 235230

Just an FYI I have the OTC 7849 adapter kit and the install cup is too short for the newer Dynatrac ball-joints so get the recommended washer spacer kit or rent a 4wd ball-joint kit from your local auto-parts store for the longer install cup.

the 7849 kit install cup hits the ball-joint pin before it reaches the rim of the ball-joint.

I guess it might also depend on how you install but my method - I removed lower, then upper then installed the upper then lower - this allowed me to use my impact gun from start to finish

Top Bottom