Steering...again

132JKPNW

Sorry, thought I saw you mention something about having this problem of yours most noticeable at around 45-55 mph.

Going back to where we started, have you checked the list of things mentioned above?

Still working on it. I started moving my wheels back and forth with one hand on the steering box and pitman arm and seems to have more play than i thought with a mild cluck. other than that, the only thing that really stood out to me was the track bar bushing on the frame side. I torqued to 125lbs (jacks under axle) and pulled my SS off. Im gonna put the wheels on and take her for a spin. See if there is any difference. Hopefully for the better. Ill be back soon. Thanks everyone for your help so far, i really appreciate it.

132JKPNW

Almost looks like it's rubbing on one side of the bracket, but what really matters is that the sleeve inside is clamped between the brackets when you tighten the bolt. The accurate way to check that bushing is with the vehicle on the ground, have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look for movement there.

Ill do this before i drive off. Thank you. I was trying a pry bar to see if there was movement. Is so, how do you recommend i pull it and replace it? I would think jack stands on the frame?

WJCO

Meme King
Ill do this before i drive off. Thank you. I was trying a pry bar to see if there was movement. Is so, how do you recommend i pull it and replace it? I would think jack stands on the frame?

Prybar won't show it. IF you do have to replace it, you don't even need a jack or stands. We'll cross that bridge later. Go drive it first and see if your steering is fixed. Don't mess with the track bar at all unless you have confirmed it has play via the way I stated above (where you need a helper to turn the wheel while you watch it).

132JKPNW

Must have missed it. Feel kinda dumb, but all 4 ball joints are bad. Going for a ride now. In the mean time any recommendations for generic joints to get my by for the next year or so?

WJCO

Meme King
Must have missed it. Feel kinda dumb, but all 4 ball joints are bad. Going for a ride now. In the mean time any recommendations for generic joints to get my by for the next year or so?

No need to feel dumb. You'll feel better that you actually took the time to find the problem rather than throwing a bunch of money in parts at it. If you really are planning on getting a ProRock in the next year (assuming you'll do ProSteer ball joints at the same time), for the time-being just go with some Crown ball joints or the comparable.

Also if your ball joints are all really bad, and your stabilizer is now removed, anticipate the possibility of death wobble on your test drive, it could happen. FYI. If I were you, I would still drive it just to see if that steering symptom is still there or not, just be careful.

Last edited:

132JKPNW

No need to feel dumb. You'll feel better that you actually took the time to find the problem rather than throwing a bunch of money in parts at it. If you really are planning on getting a ProRock in the next year (assuming you'll do ProSteer ball joints at the same time), for the time-being just go with some Crown ball joints or the comparable.

Also if your ball joints are all really bad, and your stabilizer is now removed, anticipate the possibility of death wobble on your test drive, it could happen. FYI. If I were you, I would still drive it just to see if that steering symptom is still there or not, just be careful.

YEP! just had my first (in this jeep) experience of death wobble! Wish i read that first...

132JKPNW

So now what? put my SS back on till i get the ball joints back in?

Was it the fact that my SS was off and had bad ball joints that triggered the DW? Or can i get DW because of the bad ball joints and can i get i again even after replacing my ball joints?

WJCO

Meme King
YEP! just had my first (in this jeep) experience of death wobble! Wish i read that first...

Scary shit, huh? Sorry I didn't type it sooner.

I would. It's safer, and it also helps aborb the shock. Everytime you have death wobble, you risk damaging other parts. So leave it on until you get the ball joints fixed. Then after you put new ball joints in, take the stabilizer off again and drive it, just to make sure that there is nothing else causing your issue.

Was it the fact that my SS was off and had bad ball joints that triggered the DW? Or can i get DW because of the bad ball joints and can i get i again even after replacing my ball joints?

Your ball joints and/or any other play somewhere caused it. Likely it's just the ball joints, you seemed to find out they were bad pretty quickly after you checked them. The steering stabilizer was merely absorbing the shock/shimmy and hiding it.

Napa brand ball joints 36 per side...Ill be getting a PR with Prosteers next year. Good enough?

Go with the Napa for now I guess. I don't have any experience with them, but if you're putting in ProSteers next year, hopefully your Napa ones will get you by.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Your steering stabilizer was masking the real problem which were your ball joints were bad. I would reinstall them for now and set your toe-OUT by just a bit. This is NOT a fix but rather a bandaid that will help out a lot until you can have your ball joints replaced.

132JKPNW

Well I'm already replacing the ball joints, and I'll take your advice on the test drive without the SS now that I'm prepared for DW if it should occur after the new ball joints. Thank you again for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Wow. You're working quick. Hope the ball joints fix it. Glad to help. Let us know how it goes.

JKbrick

Well I'm already replacing the ball joints, and I'll take your advice on the test drive without the SS now that I'm prepared for DW if it should occur after the new ball joints. Thank you again for your help.

What socket fits the 3 bolts on the back of the knuckle that hold on the bearing? Want to make sure I have one for when I do my ball joints and steering knuckle replacement

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

132JKPNW

So I got the passenger side almost torn apart last night until I hit a stopping point removing the ball joints. I have the press and several adapters, just not the exact right ones I need to finish the job. I tried a several sockets and had no luck either. Also hopped on the interwebs and couldn't find a specific kit or adapter size for the jk. What ha e you guys used in the past that worked, or if there is a kit I can buy. I have a harbor freight near me, and plenty of auto stores. Also, I purchase a used rental press kit from auto zone for 40 bucks. If anyone has made that kit work, let me know please. I'd rather not buy more stuff at this point. Especially if I'm doing something wrong.

Top Bottom