Superduty axle swap on a jku

Nick Unlimited

They seem to be great. I haven't had them off-road yetbut they are great on the street so far! I'm sure they will be great off-road also.

Last edited:

Blade

I just finished up my swap. I used 06 Ford F-350 SRW axles. Ended up needing quite a few other things. Jeep was down for about 2 months. Now I just have to figure out what to do about the frame side track bar bracket in the front. It sits about 2 inches away from my front diff housing giving me almost no up travel on the driver's front.

Dana 60 beef.jpg DANA 60.jpg sterling 10.5.jpg Sterling rear installed.jpg Super 60.jpg

Blade

On a side note, anyone looking to do this, feel free to drop me a PM, I know you will run in to all kinds of questions. A few things that I will say immediately:

1. You will need the tool for installing the front inner axle seals
2. You will definitely need aftermarket front lower control arms
3. You will need new alignment cams for the upper ball joints, but which ones will have to wait till the alignment happens.
4. Ruffstuff's heim steering kit will work, but you will need to get a longer piece of DOM for the tie rod. If you call, they will sell you a longer piece.
5. You will need a bigger brake master cylinder/booster if you use the stock ford brake calipers.
6. These things make Dynatrac's look tiny. There is no comparison. That being said, they are not an easy install, and definitely not for the feint of heart.

WJCO

Meme King
On a side note, anyone looking to do this, feel free to drop me a PM, I know you will run in to all kinds of questions. A few things that I will say immediately:

3. You will need new alignment cams for the upper ball joints, but which ones will have to wait till the alignment happens.
4. Ruffstuff's heim steering kit will work, but you will need to get a longer piece of DOM for the tie rod. If you call, they will sell you a longer piece.
5. You will need a bigger brake master cylinder/booster if you use the stock ford brake calipers.
6. These things make Dynatrac's look tiny. There is no comparison. That being said, they are not an easy install, and definitely not for the feint of heart.

Welcome to Wayalife. Thank you for dropping by to share your used axle install with us. I'd still buy a Dynatrac, but it's your Jeep and that's all that matters.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Ummm, welcome back to WAYALIFE. Glad to see you make your 2nd post in exactly 4 years to share your expertise with us. God only know how badass the trails are in Florida and how something "looks" is all that matter when comparing axles. :thumb:

Blade

Look, I didn't post to get flamed and hammered. I was simply trying to throw myself out there in case someone had question about this axle swap. Dynatrac makes a very nice axle, and I would definitely use them. This is an alternative, that is a lot more difficult to do, but the payoff is there. When it comes to axles, yes, size matters. The super duty tubes are 3.75" in diameter and .50" thick. The size of the knuckles allows you to run a 1550 U-joint. They also allow for 40 spline shafts and a 10 inch ring gear. They are strong. I wasn't trying to offend anyone, but someone earlier in this thread brought dynatracs to the party and I was simply noting, that there is no comparison. It's apples and oranges. Oh, and here in Florida, we have mud and rock quarries. If you're ever in my neck of the woods, drop me a line, I'm sure we could find something to break.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Look, I didn't post to get flamed and hammered. I was simply trying to throw myself out there in case someone had question about this axle swap. Dynatrac makes a very nice axle, and I would definitely use them. This is an alternative, that is a lot more difficult to do, but the payoff is there. When it comes to axles, yes, size matters. The super duty tubes are 3.75" in diameter and .50" thick. The size of the knuckles allows you to run a 1550 U-joint. They also allow for 40 spline shafts and a 10 inch ring gear. They are strong. I wasn't trying to offend anyone, but someone earlier in this thread brought dynatracs to the party and I was simply noting, that there is no comparison. It's apples and oranges. Oh, and here in Florida, we have mud and rock quarries. If you're ever in my neck of the woods, drop me a line, I'm sure we could find something to break.

Cool story bro.

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

What are the names of the places in FL where you wheel and have you even been wheeling out of the state?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

You should really look at Dynatracs again, they are pretty much the same specs as your super duty axles. So it really is apples to apples. The only thing they beat the Dynatracs on is initial purchase price point. After that the cost of rebuilding and regearing really adds up (unless you can do a lot of the work yourself, most people cant) plus the costs of just making them work in the JK and the time involved. You said your jeep was down 2 months, time is money. I couldn't let my jeep set for 2 months to swap axles. I could however do a swap over a weekend. So that 2 month time frame is a big money factor to me. If I had another vehicle to drive then yeah it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Glad it has worked for you.

Blade

You should really look at Dynatracs again, they are pretty much the same specs as your super duty axles. So it really is apples to apples. The only thing they beat the Dynatracs on is initial purchase price point. After that the cost of rebuilding and regearing really adds up (unless you can do a lot of the work yourself, most people cant) plus the costs of just making them work in the JK and the time involved. You said your jeep was down 2 months, time is money. I couldn't let my jeep set for 2 months to swap axles. I could however do a swap over a weekend. So that 2 month time frame is a big money factor to me. If I had another vehicle to drive then yeah it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Glad it has worked for you.

The Dynatracs use a 3 1/8" axle tube, and standard fitment is a 35spline inner and 30 spline outer. 40 splines are an option, and I didn't realize that it was available. 1550 Ujoints are still not available due to the size of their C/knuckle, but your right. Most of the dynatracs are close. Cost prevented me from going this route as it gets very expensive, very quick. I also agree that this is not for everyone. I was able to do all my own work minus the welding, which made it worth while. I still have a few kinks to Iron out. Like I said It's not easy. Thanks man.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The Dynatracs use a 3 1/8" axle tube, and standard fitment is a 35spline inner and 30 spline outer. 40 splines are an option, and I didn't realize that it was available. 1550 Ujoints are still not available due to the size of their C/knuckle, but your right. Most of the dynatracs are close. Cost prevented me from going this route as it gets very expensive, very quick. I also agree that this is not for everyone. I was able to do all my own work minus the welding, which made it worth while. I still have a few kinks to Iron out. Like I said It's not easy. Thanks man.

Since you're information is considerably out of date, Dynatrac makes an XD60 and a ProRock 80. They also have new pricing on all their axles and now have package deals. Of course, I'm still have the same ProRock 60 front axle that I've been running for about 7 years now and have racked up well over 100,000 miles on. Granted, I'm just a mall crawler and have no need for a junkyard axle that "looks" so much beefier and is good for mud bogs and gravel pits.

BigPrince

You won't win here. I don't mean any disrespect or negative connotation about it but like my father said it was a Chevy house, it's a Dynatrac house here.
They are both beefy and you can compare them and they each have their pros/cons. I went with SD axles also and they fit what I want but I understand the story for Dynatrac also.

Since this is a Superduty axle swap thread I'll stick to that and let you know that on my install we cut off the frameside trackbar bracket on the front for the same reason and installed an offset bracket from VKS. You'll have to call Vick to get it and it's like $50 or something small. Works great.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You won't win here. I don't mean any disrespect or negative connotation about it but like my father said it was a Chevy house, it's a Dynatrac house here.
They are both beefy and you can compare them and they each have their pros/cons. I went with SD axles also and they fit what I want but I understand the story for Dynatrac also.

Since this is a Superduty axle swap thread I'll stick to that and let you know that on my install we cut off the frameside trackbar bracket on the front for the same reason and installed an offset bracket from VKS. You'll have to call Vick to get it and it's like $50 or something small. Works great.

LOL!! I don't mean any disrespect or negative connotation by this but I do find it funny the way junkyard axle guys always feel the need to "win" when it comes to axle threads or dismiss legitimate discussions by saying a forum like this is a "Dynatrac house". One might actually think that junkyard axle posts aren't allowed or are somehow discouraged just because people post up opinion that differ from yours.

For the record, I can totally see why guys like you chose to go with SD axles. As you've noted, both SD and Dynatrac axles have their pros and cons and we all make our choices base on them.

jkwebbie

Didn't think $379 a piece was bad pricing. Just picked mine up new for that...8x6.5 @ 3.5" BS
That's a pretty good price on them! I usually see them for $400 on most cites, but then again I haven't checked prices on them for awhile now lol. What size rings did you go with?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

mastrcruse

That's a pretty good price on them! I usually see them for $400 on most cites, but then again I haven't checked prices on them for awhile now lol. What size rings did you go with?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I did the rock rings...so let's call it the "middle" one haha.

I went with the basic wheel and am having the wheel sprayed anvil and rings powdered black. I'm excited to get this thing "done".

WJCO

Meme King

Truthfully, even having the know how do build an axle, I wouldn't want to nor have the time at this point in my life. Even though a Dynatrac axle costed me more in the long run, I felt good spending money there supporting an American company with American workers using American parts. When you get to see the quality steps taken by that company and see the story behind it, spending money there was a no-brainer.

Top Bottom