Swaybars

Without getting into it, there has been many occasions where it wouldn't hook up. If you driving along at highway speed with what you believe to be a connected swaybar and it isn't, you're vehicle maneuvers become mildly entertaining.
Yea id say thats not much fun. The no limits may actually fix that...unless the bar itself is broken, which i wouldnt think is the case.

TheDuff

I understand. However I'm considering a non Rubicon because I've had so many reliability issues with a Rubicon.
You are missing the point, the evo part replaces the entire motor assembly. look up a installation walkthrough, not much of anything left that could go wrong.

You are missing the point, the evo part replaces the entire motor assembly. look up a installation walkthrough, not much of anything left that could go wrong.
Pretty much what i was thinking. Put the no limits on, and get ride of the non-functioning parts.

Voodoo Actual

Im not missing the point. Im asking what other good reliable options are.

If the Evo part is not compatable with non Rubicon models, what else is a solid option?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Without getting into it, there has been many occasions where it wouldn't hook up. If you driving along at highway speed with what you believe to be a connected swaybar and it isn't, you're vehicle maneuvers become mildly entertaining.

That's just nonsense. The default position of the e-disco is LOCKED. I've owned a JK Rubicon since it came out back in 2007 and have a 2012 Rubicon as well and have NEVER seen where the e-disco does what you're imagining. I've had the motor go bad and have since replaced it with a NO Limits manual knob.

That being said, G2 should have a new disconnect out by now that is very similar to the factory e-disco only it uses air to actuate it.
attachment.php

I would recommend this over the other options if only because it's the closest thing to factory.

utiadam

LOSER
The evo no limits makes your factory Rubicon sway bar 100% reliable. Only other option I would consider are the currie anti rocks. The anti rocks are around 500 each. There are no disconnects at all on the anti rocks but they are not as stiff so you will have more sway on the road. I've also heard that the currie can get noisy at times.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433512085.707829.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433512096.383641.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433512187.667955.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Only other option I would consider are the currie anti rocks. The anti rocks are around 500 each. There are no disconnects at all on the anti rocks but they are not as stiff so you will have more sway on the road. I've also heard that the currie can get noisy at times.

For me personally, I would not recommend an Anti-Rock. On pavement, they are way softer than factory and to the point where you WILL feel it. On the trail, they WILL limit the amount of flex you have. I have several friends who run them now and maybe they're doing something wrong but theirs are all very noisy.

utiadam

LOSER
For me personally, I would not recommend an Anti-Rock. On pavement, they are way softer than factory and to the point where you WILL feel it. On the trail, they WILL limit the amount of flex you have. I have several friends who run them now and maybe they're doing something wrong but theirs are all very noisy.

After seeing how many people keep the factory rubicon sway bar I think I'll keep mine. I do have an extra motor just in case right now but if both go out Ill do the the Evo no limits for $90. Cant beat that! :thumb: The only one I would consider changing is the rear but I really dont know if there would be anything to gain? Does the factory rear allow full articulation with the bolt on coilovers?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The only one I would consider changing is the rear but I really dont know if there would be anything to gain? Does the factory rear allow full articulation with the bolt on coilovers?

The factory rear sway bar is all you need and it will NOT limit the amount of flex you have the way an Anti-Rock WILL. The rear sway bar is soft enough that you can manipulate it with your hand but will still offer some stability when disconnected up front. Here is a shot of Moby at a full flex WITH coil overs. Please notice that the limiting straps are taught and that the swaybar itself is warped a bit from the extreme twist.

main.php

To this day, I run factory front and rear sway bars on both my EVO DTD JK's.

utiadam

LOSER
The factory rear sway bar is all you need and it will NOT limit the amount of flex you have the way an Anti-Rock WILL. The rear sway bar is soft enough that you can manipulate it with your hand but will still offer some stability when disconnected up front. Here is a shot of Moby at a full flex WITH coil overs. Please notice that the limiting straps are taught and that the swaybar itself is warped a bit from the extreme twist.

main.php

To this day, I run factory front and rear sway bars on both my EVO DTD JK's.

Awesome! The factory rear is very small in diameter and I figured it didnt limit travel but was just curious. I can put the funds towards something of more importance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! The factory rear is very small in diameter and I figured it didnt limit travel but was just curious. I can put the funds towards something of more importance.

That's what I would do. I have tested out a lot of different products since the JK came out and surprisingly, I have found that I prefer a lot of factory components over aftermarket.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
If my rubi sway bar ever messes up, I will replace with another factor motor for the ease of being able to push a button to disconnect or I will buy the EVO no limits knob. I will probably buy the knob to have in case the motor fails while on the trail and then make the decision on replacing the motor or not.

Make sure your motor is the actual failure. I know three people that got the no-limits (which is great) because they thought the motor had failed when in fact the problem was from grud seizing the unit. Its very easy to take it apart and inspect, clean, and often fix.

Fridge81

That's just nonsense. The default position of the e-disco is LOCKED. I've owned a JK Rubicon since it came out back in 2007 and have a 2012 Rubicon as well and have NEVER seen where the e-disco does what you're imagining. I've had the motor go bad and have since replaced it with a NO Limits manual knob.

So, if the e-disco fails, it is supposed to default to the locked position, correct?

The reason I ask is because mine failed but did not lock and has been unlocked ever since it failed. I just assumed that when it did fail, you had no more front sway bar. I tried to get it warrentied, but the dealer would not cover it and wanted to charge well over a grand to replace it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, if the e-disco fails, it is supposed to default to the locked position, correct?

The reason I ask is because mine failed but did not lock and has been unlocked ever since it failed. I just assumed that when it did fail, you had no more front sway bar. I tried to get it warrentied, but the dealer would not cover it and wanted to charge well over a grand to replace it.

If you've ever taken one apart, you will see that the motor has to push a spring loaded pin to into the gears to separate the sway bar. This is how the No-limits can work with a manually operated knob. Without power, the spring will push the pin back to its resting state. IF you're is really still disconnected, something must be jammed and you should be able to easily fix that by taking apart the motor.

Fridge81

If you've ever taken one apart, you will see that the motor has to push a spring loaded pin to into the gears to separate the sway bar. This is how the No-limits can work with a manually operated knob. Without power, the spring will push the pin back to its resting state. IF yours is really still disconnected, something must be jammed and you should be able to easily fix that by taking apart the motor.

Sweet, thanks! I'm going to tear mine apart and check it out. I was reluctant to disassemble it before having the No-limits in hand, but not now. Sounds pretty simple.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sweet, thanks! I'm going to tear mine apart and check it out. I was reluctant to disassemble it before having the No-limits in hand, but not now. Sounds pretty simple.

You should and it really is simple. The motor is a single unit and you'd have to pull it off in order to install a NO-Limits knob anyway. Once it's off, you sway bar WILL be locked unless there's something else going on but really, I doubt it.

Top Bottom