Synergy Coilover Conversion

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
And you don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger.....:D

Great....Now I got this Jim Croce song in my head now......:naw:

~Woodrow~

Flyer

so while we are on this topic, is there a significant improvement with coilovers? I assume so, hence their general status as the Holy Grail in suspension mods. How is the ride improved feel-wise though? What is the difference on road and off-road? Any downsides besides modification needed to bolt them on?

sean.m.adams33

Like I said in my build thread. The synergy cool overs are fine. But that's it. I was talked out of the evo setup by a local San Diego off road shop because I guess they make more on synergy. If I could do it over, EVO DTD all the way. Without hesitation. In fact I constantly look at ORE site and put all the items in a cart. 😢

If you can't tell, I am full of regret.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't really spend that much time on JKO. They are too political and rabid there. I do like to antagonize a few of the guys there sometimes.

Fair enough.

I am not sure about LOVE but i do like Synergy coils and products in general, compared to the ~2012 RK stuff I have tried.

Compared to the RK stuff you had, I could see where you're coming from.

I just don't know much about coilovers...at all. No idea how it changes the ride or any of that.

If you're actually interested in learning more about coil overs in general unlike the OP who was only interested in hearing about Synergy, that might be something we can help out with.

I am new, but I can hold my own and dish back. I just prefer to not fight when I can't win. Well, I prefer to not fight at all if possible. :D

Well, to the best of my knowledge, there's no fight going on here.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
so while we are on this topic, is there a significant improvement with coilovers? I assume so, hence their general status as the Holy Grail in suspension mods. How is the ride improved feel-wise though? What is the difference on road and off-road? Any downsides besides modification needed to bolt them on?

What makes a well designed coil over setup like what EVO makes so great is that they will allow you to have a lower stance while still providing significantly MORE vertical travel than any traditional coil and shock setup available. They are customizable so you can choose spring rates and valving that will meet your load and ride comfort needs. You literally can make your ride Cadillac soft or sports car firm and with something like a DTD, you can even make adjustments to the individual bypasses as needed. The biggest down side is cost as they are really expensive and if you do it right, will require a considerable amount of cutting and welding kicking up the cost more. To be clear, not all coil over kits are made the same and a lot of them out there will say they run 14" coil overs but will only offer about 9"-10" of vertical travel. Also, with the exception of EVO, ALL the other kits have a sky high minimum ride height.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said in my build thread. The synergy cool overs are fine. But that's it. I was talked out of the evo setup by a local San Diego off road shop because I guess they make more on synergy. If I could do it over, EVO DTD all the way. Without hesitation. In fact I constantly look at ORE site and put all the items in a cart. 

If you can't tell, I am full of regret.

I take it you've ridden in a JK with a DTD installed? As much as I think the Bolt on kit is great, it was hard to keep on driving Rubicat after driving Moby and so now, we are getting a DTD installed in it as well. :crazyeyes:

sean.m.adams33

I take it you've ridden in a JK with a DTD installed? As much as I think the Bolt on kit is great, it was hard to keep on driving Rubicat after driving Moby and so now, we are getting a DTD installed in it as well. :crazyeyes:

Man, I wish!! I have seen them perform though. And I drooled. The entire time. It's just a smarter design. With all the cutting and welding that had to be done with the synergy kit, it makes sense to just go DTD. And like you said, I had to get a different exhaust and use an anti rock in the rear. And honestly, when you're paying that much $$ the price difference isn't that bad.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
WooHoo!! Rubicat's getting Steroids! 

LOL!! Being that we're installing our old PR60 that used to be on Moby as well, yeah, you could say that :D

Man, I wish!! I have seen them perform though. And I drooled. The entire time. It's just a smarter design. With all the cutting and welding that had to be done with the synergy kit, it makes sense to just go DTD. And like you said, I had to get a different exhaust and use an anti rock in the rear. And honestly, when you're paying that much $$ the price difference isn't that bad.

Well, the next time we do a run in SoCal, if you can make it, remind me and you can go for a spin in ours. :D

Regarding coil overs, I have to agree, if you're going to be doing all that cutting, removing and relocating of stuff, it just makes so much more sense to me to install a DTD with EVO lever even if you just run it with single coil overs. You still get a lower ride stance, get better performance and get to tuck your rear coil overs up and out of harms way.

sean.m.adams33

LOL!! Being that we're installing our old PR60 that used to be on Moby as well, yeah, you could say that :D

Well, the next time we do a run in SoCal, if you can make it, remind me and you can go for a spin in ours. :D

Regarding coil overs, I have to agree, if you're going to be doing all that cutting, removing and relocating of stuff, it just makes so much more sense to me to install a DTD with EVO lever even if you just run it with single coil overs. You still get a lower ride stance, get better performance and get to tuck your rear coil overs up and out of harms way.

Agreed.

The funny thing is I was told that there wasn't enough info on the design of the evo lever and it was to new. I was dumb enough to believe it.

Deal next time you come to SoCal. I will let you take mine for a spin so you can let people know you've driven in that setup and it's nothing special. (I know that's a downgrade for you and you don't need to drive in it to know)😎

Flyer

I think you may have already put a huge dent in my bank account. Will wait a bit but a coilover setup, bigger tires, and a regear, sounds fantastic. I can have a comfortable ride on the highways and gobs of travel offroad. I'd do this right, without cutting corners. I actually saw some of these coilovers on the Jeeps (maybe all the Jeeps?) in the JK-Experience videos. The travel was ridiculously good in some of those sections. Well made videos too...I keep watching them and they transport me away from the daily grind.

What makes a well designed coil over setup like what EVO makes so great is that they will allow you to have a lower stance while still providing significantly MORE vertical travel than any traditional coil and shock setup available. They are customizable so you can choose spring rates and valving that will meet your load and ride comfort needs. You literally can make your ride Cadillac soft or sports car firm and with something like a DTD, you can even make adjustments to the individual bypasses as needed. The biggest down side is cost as they are really expensive and if you do it right, will require a considerable amount of cutting and welding kicking up the cost more. To be clear, not all coil over kits are made the same and a lot of them out there will say they run 14" coil overs but will only offer about 9"-10" of vertical travel. Also, with the exception of EVO, ALL the other kits have a sky high minimum ride height.

Landman

I have a question about a coilover setup: on most of the videos and on the one I have seen in person, the front sway bar seems to always be connected. Is this to minimize travel or is it just not applicable and why?

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom