Tell me about Carson City!

jdofmemi

I’m hoping all the liberals move to Nevada and out of California.

Enough to double Nevadas population could move there and it would only make a small dent in the population of loonies in Kalifornia. We would still be screwed, and Nevada would not be fit to live in either

Brute

Hooked
If there is a problem with Nevada, it's that it's really growing and a LOT of that is because of all the jobs that are coming here. Most of which are high tech jobs like Tesla, Amazon, Apple, Switch and the like. Apple opening up their 2nd campus here is expected to employ 20,000 people alone. Our community college even offers specific courses to help students get into these new jobs. Needless to say, I don't think career opportunities will be an issue. Housing prices are starting to be now though.

This is exactly what has happened to Seattle...the housing market is going through the roof...after owning our condo in Seattle for only 3 years, we sold it for a 30% profit...

ChiliDawg

Rent is on the rise but my son is still only paying $600 for his 1 bedroom condo. It's super nice too. Homes are renting for about $800-$1200 a month. It's more in Reno/Sparks but then, there are a lot more jobs out there.

It's WAY more in Reno/Sparks, to be clear. I don't think you can find a place to rent for $600 in Reno, your low end is around $800, and that's usually a cross between a closet and a dump. My single bedroom near Meadowood mall was over $1100/month.

tcjku

Would like to know a bit more about Carson city and the surrounding areas. We’re planning a trip out that way later this year to check it out.

Congrats to your wife on earning her degree!

I recently decided to move away from the Bay Area, and I looked at Reno, Denver and Austin. I decided to move to Reno because it's close to the desert and the mountains, so there's a lot of out-doors stuff to enjoy, and it's a small enough city that it's not too crowded and busy, but it has enough amenities to be fun and interesting.

As Eddie's already mentioned, there are a lot of new tech jobs out here, so finding jobs seem to be fairly easy. Infrastructure (roads, hospitals, schools, emergency services, etc) are a little strained and house prices are on the rise, but I don't think these are reasons to pass the area up.

I have friends down in Carson City, and always enjoy spending time down there (it's about 45 mins South of Reno). There's an archery and shooting range just on the edge of town, you're close to Mount Rose for skiing and snow shoeing in the winter (though it's no Sundance) and Lake Tahoe for fishing and lake fun in the summer. There's great hiking just above Carson, and the down-town evening life is pretty good.

Of course, as you've seen from many of Eddie's posts (and maybe some of mine) there's a whole bunch of really neat off-road trails and adventures to be had in your Jeep, and you're within a day's drive of Socal, and not too far from Moab, so if you're planning on wheeling, it's a good place to be.

If you do decide to come out, and you're interested, hit me up and I'll show you around Reno and we can put a Jeep run together for you as well. If you need a place to stay, then I can help you out there too.

Good luck on your decision!

Congrats to your wife on earning her degree!

I recently decided to move away from the Bay Area, and I looked at Reno, Denver and Austin. I decided to move to Reno because it's close to the desert and the mountains, so there's a lot of out-doors stuff to enjoy, and it's a small enough city that it's not too crowded and busy, but it has enough amenities to be fun and interesting.

As Eddie's already mentioned, there are a lot of new tech jobs out here, so finding jobs seem to be fairly easy. Infrastructure (roads, hospitals, schools, emergency services, etc) are a little strained and house prices are on the rise, but I don't think these are reasons to pass the area up.

I have friends down in Carson City, and always enjoy spending time down there (it's about 45 mins South of Reno). There's an archery and shooting range just on the edge of town, you're close to Mount Rose for skiing and snow shoeing in the winter (though it's no Sundance) and Lake Tahoe for fishing and lake fun in the summer. There's great hiking just above Carson, and the down-town evening life is pretty good.

Of course, as you've seen from many of Eddie's posts (and maybe some of mine) there's a whole bunch of really neat off-road trails and adventures to be had in your Jeep, and you're within a day's drive of Socal, and not too far from Moab, so if you're planning on wheeling, it's a good place to be.

If you do decide to come out, and you're interested, hit me up and I'll show you around Reno and we can put a Jeep run together for you as well. If you need a place to stay, then I can help you out there too.

Good luck on your decision!

Thanks so much for the great info and support. She officially has to make a decision by August 1st so we’ll be planning something here pretty soon. A Jeep run would be a lot of fun as well. We were planning on hitting up the area on our way back from the Rubicon run another member was putting together but she will be walking with her class right when we’d be hitting the trail so we’ll have to set something up specific to Reno/Carson City. I will certainly let you and Eddie know when we’re looking to come out and hopefully we can line something up.

pop2tu

That's funny...that was our exact same list before my wife and I chose Seattle...and now looking for a place in Nevada...our decision process was like this:

Alaska...too cold & isolated
Florida...too humid, hurricanes
Nevada...Raiders
S Dakota...too cold
Texas...too, um Texas
Washington...specifically near the Seattle area, good food scene, great Nat Parks, lakes
Wyoming...too cold

Sounds like Nevada should win. Nothing negative there!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
Thanks so much for the great info and support. She officially has to make a decision by August 1st so we’ll be planning something here pretty soon. A Jeep run would be a lot of fun as well. We were planning on hitting up the area on our way back from the Rubicon run another member was putting together but she will be walking with her class right when we’d be hitting the trail so we’ll have to set something up specific to Reno/Carson City. I will certainly let you and Eddie know when we’re looking to come out and hopefully we can line something up.

I thought you were out on the Rubicon run...

We are. She’s supposed to walk with her class the day everyone is meeting up so we won’t make that trip. Hoping to put something together before or after then in late August-September.

In Northern California we're voting to split from Cal and form the 51st state. The great State of Jefferson. It's happened once before in the 1860's in the eastern U.S. Pray it happens again!

soj51.org

Last edited:

Nevadamike

Very first post here

I have lived in Carson since 1988. Things sure have changed. My wife and I just bought a house in Idaho as part of our future plans. Housing is relatively expensive and getting more so. There are some good schools and some that are tough so do your homework and locate based on your school of choice. That will also likely place you in a good neighborhood.

The city is not without its problems but you could do much worse. I live near the mountains on the west side and it’s perfect for me. I get outside and run or mountain bike the trails most days. I guess if you are planning on doing the same sort of things it’s great. If you are looking for art, culture and fine dining you will be disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom