Tell me about Carson City!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If we can leave out the stupidness and just look at the results, you can see in this county by county map of where Nevada's really at in terms of thinking. The upper left hand corner is Washoe County and where Reno is. The bottom tip is Clark County and where Vegas is. Essentially, where a vast majority of the states population lives and by a long shot. In spite of it, you can see that only 537,000 went to Blue and 511,000 went to Red - a narrow win and why Nevada is a battleground state. Here, you're vote can still make a difference.

NV-MAP.jpg

Conversely, here's a map of the state we were born and raised in. As you can see, a disproportionate 7.3 million went to Blue and only 3.9 million went to Red. When we still lived there, we literally gave up as NOTHING we ever voted on ever went our way.

CA-MAP.jpg

For me, I actually like the fact that Nevada is a true "Purple" state. At least there's still a discussion to be had. But then, that's just me.

Brute

Hooked
LOL! At least you'd fit in. The funny thing is, it's not like where I live isn't really white, I just don't feel like I stick out like a sore thumb here. In Idaho and parts of Utah, I do.

If you moved to Hawaii, you would look like the local population....but of course you would have to pay $6 for a gallon of milk...

Brute

Hooked
We looked hard at moving to Idaho a year or two ago. There are/were some great property values there.

I would always consider states on this list...all for the same reason:

Alaska.
Florida.
Nevada.
South Dakota.
Texas.
Washington.
Wyoming.

But it would take a lot to get me to move to Florida, South Dakota and Texas.

That's funny...that was our exact same list before my wife and I chose Seattle...and now looking for a place in Nevada...our decision process was like this:

Alaska...too cold & isolated
Florida...too humid, hurricanes
Nevada...Raiders
S Dakota...too cold
Texas...too, um Texas
Washington...specifically near the Seattle area, good food scene, great Nat Parks, lakes
Wyoming...too cold

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
That's funny...that was our exact same list before my wife and I chose Seattle...and now looking for a place in Nevada

LOL! Shocking.

The seven* states without state income tax.

Of course you have to pay attention to other taxes like sales and property.

*I exclude Tennessee and New Hampshire because they tax dividends and interests. Though I read where Tennessee might be phasing that out.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Unfortunately, Nevada is changing very quickly and not for the better (in my opinion). November will be very interesting and I think there is about an 80% likelihood of having both a blue Governor and blue Legislature. And by blue, I mean screaming liberal Berkeley Blue...not old school Nevada blue. If things keep moving they way they have been, I could see myself moving out of Nevada once my kids have graduated.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah, they screw up their home states, and then move to another to do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you moved to Hawaii, you would look like the local population....but of course you would have to pay $6 for a gallon of milk...

LOL!! No doubt. But to be honest, I don't really care about "fitting in" so much as I'd prefer not to feel like I "stick out" if you know what I mean.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
If we can leave out the stupidness and just look at the results, you can see in this county by county map of where Nevada's really at in terms of thinking. The upper left hand corner is Washoe County and where Reno is. The bottom tip is Clark County and where Vegas is. Essentially, where a vast majority of the states population lives and by a long shot. In spite of it, you can see that only 537,000 went to Blue and 511,000 went to Red - a narrow win and why Nevada is a battleground state. Here, you're vote can still make a difference.

View attachment 301557

Conversely, here's a map of the state we were born and raised in. As you can see, a disproportionate 7.3 million went to Blue and only 3.9 million went to Red. When we still lived there, we literally gave up as NOTHING we ever voted on ever went our way.

View attachment 301558

For me, I actually like the fact that Nevada is a true "Purple" state. At least there's still a discussion to be had. But then, that's just me.
That's how I feel living in Oregon. Realistically the entire left vote comes from 3 or 4 cities and the other 90 percent of towns just have no voice. By land distribution Oregon is predominantly conservative but when you look at Portland metro area, Salem metro area, and Eugene, the state is blue population wise. It really sucks when the only votes that may matter are local elections.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Man did I open a can of worms! Haha seriously though thanks for all the input. Eddie: thanks for the graphics and the insight. Our biggest issues are making sure we’ve got a good place to raise our daughter and good career opportunities without feeling trapped in a state where the government has more rights than its citizens (California). I like the landscape of Nevada and Utah. Idaho not so much. We’ve gotten offers for Oklahoma and Texas and too be honest, the heat and landscape there are major deal breakers. If we don’t stay in Utah it will be Nevada or Washington for sure.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's how I feel living in Oregon. Realistically the entire left vote comes from 3 or 4 cities and the other 90 percent of towns just have no voice. By land distribution Oregon is predominantly conservative but when you look at Portland metro area, Salem metro area, and Eugene, the state is blue population wise. It really sucks when the only votes that may matter are local elections.

Funny thing is, there are 1.9 million people who live in Clark County (Vegas) and 429,000 people live in Washoe (Reno). All the other counties combined only amount to 328,000 people. In other words, even if every single person in all those counties voted Red, they still would be crushed by the 2.5 million people in Clark and Washoe. This means that even in the counties that went Blue, the vote was split. It also means if the Libertarians had voted Red, the outcome would have been different. It's really really close here.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Man did I open a can of worms! Haha seriously though thanks for all the input. Eddie: thanks for the graphics and the insight. Our biggest issues are making sure we’ve got a good place to raise our daughter and good career opportunities without feeling trapped in a state where the government has more rights than its citizens (California). I like the landscape of Nevada and Utah. Idaho not so much. We’ve gotten offers for Oklahoma and Texas and too be honest, the heat and landscape there are major deal breakers. If we don’t stay in Utah it will be Nevada or Washington for sure.

If there is a problem with Nevada, it's that it's really growing and a LOT of that is because of all the jobs that are coming here. Most of which are high tech jobs like Tesla, Amazon, Apple, Switch and the like. Apple opening up their 2nd campus here is expected to employ 20,000 people alone. Our community college even offers specific courses to help students get into these new jobs. Needless to say, I don't think career opportunities will be an issue. Housing prices are starting to be now though.

jesse3638

Hooked
If there is a problem with Nevada, it's that it's really growing and a LOT of that is because of all the jobs that are coming here. Most of which are high tech jobs like Tesla, Amazon, Apple, Switch and the like. Apple opening up their 2nd campus here is expected to employ 20,000 people alone. Our community college even offers specific courses to help students get into these new jobs. Needless to say, I don't think career opportunities will be an issue. Housing prices are starting to be now though.

I was talking to a college last November and he was saying if they were to fill all the proposed jobs up there there would be no houses. He was looking to move and was completely priced out and stuck renting which was on the rise.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was talking to a college last November and he was saying if they were to fill all the proposed jobs up there there would be no houses. He was looking to move and was completely priced out and stuck renting which was on the rise.

Rent is on the rise but my son is still only paying $600 for his 1 bedroom condo. It's super nice too. Homes are renting for about $800-$1200 a month. It's more in Reno/Sparks but then, there are a lot more jobs out there.

Top Bottom