Telluride CO 2015

Sithwindu

Are you set on spring? The wife and I are planning on summer maybe fall to CO as long as I get my phase 2 completed. Spring will be too soon money and vacation time wise. I'd like to have a couple other jeeps along for the trip.

Oh no not set in stone yet, just a rough idea, summer or fall wouldn't be a bad idea either! I just want to make the trek out there!

Sithwindu

Texas heat is all Iv ever known so a different season in the northern states would prob be a nice breath of fresh air too!

Jackal01

Texas heat is all Iv ever known so a different season in the northern states would prob be a nice breath of fresh air too!

I'm sure the CO people can attest to it but CO in the summer is flar out nice. Hell, we usually go in May or June and weather is just perfect. I imagine early fall is just as nice. I'd like to go mid summer or early fall next time since some of the trails I wanted to do were still closed from snow.

Sithwindu

I'm sure the CO people can attest to it but CO in the summer is flar out nice. Hell, we usually go in May or June and weather is just perfect. I imagine early fall is just as nice. I'd like to go mid summer or early fall next time since some of the trails I wanted to do were still closed from snow.

Ahhhh that's right, I tend to forget about snow lol only seen it once in my life

CerOf

Stock with no lockers won't get up phoughkeepsie. Stock with lockers is hard and may have issues. If it is wet you won't make it up stock with lockers. No bypass. Rental companies even say PG is off limits. 33s, lockers, and 3.5" of lift was tough. Took me a second try to get up. It is practically straight up with a slight ledge in the middle that is especially tough for a two door and loose pieces of rock.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431632647.557441.jpg
This photo is with 33" tires and a leveling kit. Made it but took some effort.
We're up there every summer. As the crow flies, our house is ~10 miles north of Lake City and about the same or less east from ridgeway. Real close to silver Jack reservoir. For remote camping, go to West Fork. It's about 15~20 minutes from ridgeway and 35min from Ouray.

Last edited:

sapco76

Dang! I will be there in Colorado the 2 weeks after. Starting on the 5th of Aug! Where are you staying at?

I'll be there for a week starting Aug. 17th. It would be nice to meet up with some other people there. I'll be staying in Durango.

Last edited:
Oh no not set in stone yet, just a rough idea, summer or fall wouldn't be a bad idea either! I just want to make the trek out there!

Ahhhh that's right, I tend to forget about snow lol only seen it once in my life

You guys got to realize and remember for planning your Colorado trip / vacations is that all these places / roads we're talking about are 11 to 13,000 foot mountain passes that are closed due to the many feet of snow from October to June+/- So you need to check to see they are open or long term plan only for July to September vacation times for the 'Alpine Loop' trips. One flat landers / desert rat to another.... :cheesy:

JeepJeep75

Ouray and Telluride area are some of the most scenic places in the country imo. As others have stated though, don't be surprised to find over half of your favorite trails closed as late as mid July. My wife and I have stayed in Ouray during all of the different seasons. By far, the best time to go, if you want to avoid the crowds, have great weather, and fantastic picture oops is in the fall. The last week or two in September are perfect. The Aspen trees start to turn, and if you time it just right, you get to see the first snow of the season. These pics are from last year's trip. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431744930.384806.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431744968.676390.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431745002.399140.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431745047.568574.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431745072.350482.jpg

speed3d

I'll be there for a week starting Aug. 17th. It would be nice to meet up with some other people there. I'll be staying in Durango.

My Dad and I will be up there for a couple weeks starting the 5th of july. My Dad has a red xj and has been on those trails before in his xj, a 2dr rubicon, and his old stock Willys. We lived in Montrose for seven years in the '70s and he never got over leaving that area. I will definitely be the noob, but am hoping the capabilities of my new rubicon will help make up for it- and as many have said; most of these are just fun trails and we will be staying away from poughkeepsie. Anyways, I will have to get some wayalife stickers on my ride before then so if we run across any of you, you will know who I am. We will be back & forth between camping & Marriotts as I have a shitload of Marriott points. I know there is a Marriott in Durango as I was there a couple years ago, but will have to see if there are other choices.

Ouray and Telluride area are some of the most scenic places in the country imo. As others have stated though, don't be surprised to find over half of your favorite trails closed as late as mid July. My wife and I have stayed in Ouray during all of the different seasons. By far, the best time to go, if you want to avoid the crowds, have great weather, and fantastic picture oops is in the fall. The last week or two in September are perfect. The Aspen trees start to turn, and if you time it just right, you get to see the first snow of the season. These pics are from last year's trip.

Great photos JeepJeep75 !!! Some of those look familiar, making me think back to remember which road or spot those were taken at ... Great memories of our trip!!! We went the first week of Sept. and some of the Aspen were starting to turn color up high, and my wife and I both commented on how neat it would be to see this in a few more weeks!!! Looks like your timing was good that trip! Thanks for sharing.

JeepJeep75

In case anybody wanted the latest jeep trail info for the Ouray, Telluride, Montrose area, here it is, straight from the local paper that I get sent to me. Ya, I like this area that much! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434648370.347758.jpg

JeepJeep75

All you guys planning trips to SW Colorado, the roads are starting to get plowed and opened up... Here is a video of current conditions of Engineer Pass road as of this past Sat. Plan for July and Aug, and Sept. are better road conditions for family travel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=274&v=ph304aGmw8o

Thanks for the video. 👍 My wife and I can hardly wait to drive these trails in our very own jeep. We've always rented them, but the jeep-bug bit, now we have our own and love it!!!!

JeepJam

Getting Ready

I"m just getting more excited... July 27th just a month away. I get to challenge black bear pass!

http://wayalife.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=124536&d=1423888333
attachment.php

Yankee Boy Basin

JeepJam

attachment.php

Father's day 2014. This view is at the end of Corkscrew, looking towards Hurricane Pass. As you can see, it is still snowed over. That's why this year, we're waiting till late July, early August to attempt these trails.

dillard09

I'll be up in Colorado from Aug 5 - Aug 16 if anyone is around. I will stay in Gunnison with the fam but will be open for some road trips. I know we will hit the Alpine loop as we always do. I will have my Grandfather in his 04 grand w/ 4" lift 32s and my uncle in his TJ with lockers and 35s.

Spaste19

Awesome thread. My wife and I are just starting to plan a 2016 trip to Ouray area now. Good info. I'll check out some of the other threads mentioned as well.

Flat Top

Great info on this thread. I'm contemplating a last minute solo trip later this month but the only thing stopping me is overnight lodging. Hotels appear to be fairly pricey in the Ouray / Telluride area. Any recommendations on cabins or modestly priced hotels? It's just going to be me so I'm just looking for a clean bed and a place to clean up.

Top Bottom