Teraflex big brake kit... Worth it?

jesse3638

Hooked
Ever had issues with brakes not working very well while in 4LO? I don't know if it was just me but before I went to the Pro-Grips I've had a few "stop, stop, stop, STOP!, " moments on the trail. Usually when you were approaching a ledge or some such. :eek:

I just push in the clutch...;)..haha

Exodus 4x4

ahhhh..... BOTH setups are BETTER than stock...

I wouldn't call "slapping on any bigger rotors and larger calipers" *Good* ... Math and physics exist for a reason... Dynatrac DID the math, they observed the physics, and they developed a braking system specifically FOR the jeep... :thinking:

the sum of this thread seems OVERWHELMINGLY obvious... but I'll go ahead a spell it out.

1. Go with Teraflex BBK if it's free, then save your money and Upgrade to the Progrips
  2. Buy the progrips from the start and be happy

I've run both and I can honestly say I didn't see a difference between the two.

The most significant change I've experienced with brakes on a JK is upgrading to the larger brake booster. Something I'm extremely glad I did now that I'm only running front brakes. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ever had issues with brakes not working very well while in 4LO? I don't know if it was just me but before I went to the Pro-Grips I've had a few "stop, stop, stop, STOP!, " moments on the trail. Usually when you were approaching a ledge or some such. :eek:

That’s why I used to tell you “your good....” up until you hit something because your brakes didn’t work for shit lol

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug

I have this problem going down ledges as well, though with 3.73s, I also have to yell go, go, go, on the rocks[emoji848]. C'mon powerball...

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
That video of Rubicat on those 40" Mud Graps was what convinced me to order the Pro Grips. Look at how flat he stays when braking right at the .35 second mark. Also how short the distance is.

It sold me, and like I mentioned earlier, there’s only $300 difference in the kits. Around $735 for Teraflex front brakes, vs. approximately $1000 for 4 brakes from Dynatrac. Dynatrac is American made, too.

fiend

Caught the Bug
It sold me, and like I mentioned earlier, there’s only $300 difference in the kits. Around $735 for Teraflex front brakes, vs. approximately $1000 for 4 brakes from Dynatrac. Dynatrac is American made, too.

Teraflex has a couple of kits. The first one was the front only, with bigger rotors, 4 pot calipers, and pads. For older JKs, this required a new master cylinder because of the calipers. It also requires bleeding the system. Teraflex still sells this kit and it's $700 or so.

Later Teraflex introduced something similar to the dynatrac kit: just larger rotors, plus brackets to enable use of the stock calipers. No new master cylinder needed and no need to bleed the system. I see one online vendor selling that for $303 front and $380 rear, so $683 total. That's about $300 less than the dynatrac kit, but the dynatrac kit comes with pads while TF doesn't.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

LOL!! Right, because a history of broken track bars, broken tie-rods, broken tire carriers, broken control arm mounts and a company who'll BLAME customers for install error rather than admit their Chinese products are crap isn't enough to keep people from buying TeraFlex products. :crazyeyes:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Teraflex has a couple of kits. The first one was the front only, with bigger rotors, 4 pot calipers, and pads. For older JKs, this required a new master cylinder because of the calipers. It also requires bleeding the system. Teraflex still sells this kit and it's $700 or so.

Later Teraflex introduced something similar to the dynatrac kit: just larger rotors, plus brackets to enable use of the stock calipers. No new master cylinder needed and no need to bleed the system. I see one online vendor selling that for $303 front and $380 rear, so $683 total. That's about $300 less than the dynatrac kit, but the dynatrac kit comes with pads while TF doesn't.

To me, not including brake pads in TerrorFlex kit is absurd.
Dyntarc did their homework and created their components with materials (both rotors and pads) that will work together to provide more friction and better stopping power. I read that on the internet so it must be true [emoji848]. ProGrips are actually my next upgrade so am doing my research.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
LOL!! Right, because a history of broken track bars, broken tie-rods, broken tire carriers, broken control arm mounts and a company who'll BLAME customers for install error rather than admit their Chinese products are crap isn't enough to keep people from buying TeraFlex products. :crazyeyes:

But let's face it, we know you're just a mall crawler who doesn't wheel. That broken tie rod must have just been installed wrong! ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Dyntarc did their homework and created their components with materials (both rotors and pads) that will work together to provide more friction and better stopping power. I read that on the internet so it must be true [emoji848]. ProGrips are actually my next upgrade so am doing my research.

Yup. The components AND the proprietary pads specifically designed for the kit IS what makes the ProGrips perform so amazingly well. In a pinch, you "can" use OE or other aftermarket pads but for the best performance, you need to run the Dynatrac pads.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
But let's face it, we know you're just a mall crawler who doesn't wheel. That broken tie rod must have just been installed wrong! ;)

LOL!! All I can say is that it's pretty sad when your own shit breaks on your own Jeep. Who do you blame then?

attachment.php

attachment.php

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
LOL!! All I can say is that it's pretty sad when your own shit breaks on your own Jeep. Who do you blame then?

Well, clearly Teraflex themselves didn't do the install. Because if they did, the parts wouldn't have failed. :naw:

Such a joke company. They don't hold themselves accountable at all. But then again, it is 2017 and it's rare to find people (or a company, at that) that does hold themselves accountable.

fiend

Caught the Bug

I'm not knocking dynatrac or promoting Teraflex. Just adding some additional information re available options. If I were in the market for a BBK, I very likely would go with dynatrac for all the reasons stated by others.

Top Bottom