TeraFlex Long Arm Bracket Break

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You just like to insult people. I'm a former ASE Master Tech, retired auto industry exec (Ford Motor), consulting firm CEO, decades long Jeeper, current 4x4 club President, etc. I'll be sure to tell my corporate contacts about my experiences here on Wayalife, I'm sure they'll be interested in sponsoring you.

Really? This says differently.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1413133393.009313.jpg

GCM 2

Really? This says differently.

View attachment 105225

Well there was a time jaguar was a division of Ford (I think), maybe it was when Ford also had Aston Martin and Land Rover?

Regardless, he probably assumed Ford sounds more 'Merican to jeep guys and buys more credibility. When the truth is the majority of the members here appreciate brutal honesty and respect it more than dodging questions and not being up front about yourself.

Cannot hide from public domain knowledge you put out there.....

Edit: Red Mountain Enterprises- ski rental equipment

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
Well there was a time jaguar was a division of Ford (I think), maybe it was when Ford also had Aston Martin and Land Rover?

The Jaguar and Ford alliance made for some of the worst years in both manufacturers history.

Guess this guy was a big part of that. Lol

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
LOL!! Too funny!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1413136919.529978.jpg

For the record, he has not been banned. Just acting like a tough guy probably because he doesn't want to respond to his ski rental business.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
I may be way late to the discussion on this, but I stumbled across a link to this thread in Eddie's discussion on the TF tire carrier over on Facebook. I apologize if the following has already been discussed. I wanted to point out some things that are clearly evident in the OP's photos. First, that is a very poor installation of the older Teraflex long arm brackets. The were to have been welded in all spots that contact the frame, both front & rear. In the case of the front bracket the installer only welded the front edge to the frame, nowhere else. Because it wasn't restrained by welds, the resulting flex stresses allowed the bracket to snap in a place that most likely would not have had it been properly welded to the frame per the instructions. With regard to the rear bracket, again, it was to have been welded around the entire perimeter of the bracket where it contacts the frame. The installer negected to do so. Lastly, re: the old issue of the TF bracket cracking & pulling the frame at the rear welds, Teraflex became aware early on of these cracks. The frame material is quite thin in that area and Teraflex added a frame reinforcement plate to their long arm kit to eliminate the problem. Has been part of their kit for about four or five years now. They were also providing the reinforcement plate and new brackets FOC to customers. With regard to both the front & rear brackets, Teraflex updated their design some time ago, adding reinforcement gussets plus the reinforcement plate. So, if properly installed the newer Teraflex long arm kits won't experience these issues. Just pointing out in general that "weld-on" long arm kits have inherent critical variables that depend upon the customer or their installer having expert welding skills. Not always the case. This is where "bolt-on" kits have a big advantage in some cases, all other things being equal. I've frankly expected all the JK suspension manufacturers to go bolt-on because of this, but in TF's case they've stuck with their design.

Hey ford exec, that's my jeep in the original pic from almost 1.75 years ago(!!!) The problem was two fold, as mentioned installer error was a part of it, no penetration in the welds...the other part was the horribly designed bracket...and add a third fold their instructions were piss poor not including guidance about welding the perimeter. I've had the kit on my Jeep since March of '09 which I believe was somewhat early into the Terabreak long arm kit life. Btw my kit didn't include the rear upper gussets. Offroad Evolution informed me that they were available and highly recommended adding them when I had it down there for some major work. I did have the bracket repaired and reveled with the perimeter and it failed again....Teraflex sent me the redesigned bracket and that's currently installed and I'm waiting for it to break. I'd like to think I wheel my jeep harder than most of the teraflex pavement princesses you see at your auto mall. But really I just hit curbs at Starbucks.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo143/favaguitars/RF2014 BusterDelores/DSC_0819.jpg

Can you get me a better discount on an F150 than my X plan? I'd like to eventually get an F150 or maybe a RAM.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey ford exec, that's my jeep in the original pic from almost 1.75 years ago(!!!) The problem was two fold, as mentioned installer error was a part of it, no penetration in the welds...the other part was the horribly designed bracket...and add a third fold their instructions were piss poor not including guidance about welding the perimeter.

You mean to tell me that TeraFlex actually provide piss poor instructions? What about the detailed video Dennis made, didn't that come with your kit?You clearly didn't follow either and you are to blame for your break.

I've had the kit on my Jeep since March of '09 which I believe was somewhat early into the Terabreak long arm kit life. Btw my kit didn't include the rear upper gussets. Offroad Evolution informed me that they were available and highly recommended adding them when I had it down there for some major work. I did have the bracket repaired and reveled with the perimeter and it failed again.

But the guys at off road evolution are pros and lay down some of the best welds bar none and according to Jerry McGeorge, that's all you would have needed to prevent another break.

Teraflex sent me the redesigned bracket and that's currently installed and I'm waiting for it to break.

Well, as Dennis likes to say, Teraflex will take care of you even if the break is your fault - LOL!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Jerry McGeorge, if you're going to change your email address, you need to click on the link you would have received in order to approve your account. That is of course, unless you were just looking for a way to fabricate another good story about you being banned. Either way, I manually approved your account so please, continue enlightening us with your vast knowledge base. :)

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Hey Jerry McGeorge, if you're going to change your email address, you need to click on the link you would have received in order to approve your account. That is of course, unless you were just looking for a way to fabricate another good story about you being banned. Either way, I manually approved your account so please, continue enlightening us with your vast knowledge base. :)

Lmao! You can't make this crap up!

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I have been contemplating installing my dana 30 diff cover made by teraflex, think its safe.:screwy: sorry I know its a little off subject

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Tigrcky

You just like to insult people. I'm a former ASE Master Tech, retired auto industry exec (Ford Motor), consulting firm CEO, decades long Jeeper, current 4x4 club President, etc. I'll be sure to tell my corporate contacts about my experiences here on Wayalife, I'm sure they'll be interested in sponsoring you.

If you read my post insred of pre-loading your wise crack responses you'd see I agree with Mel. I'm just saying the mfrs are going bolt-n to eliminate the install variability of installer welding skills.

dont really need to be an ase certified master tech to notice that the metal is cracking and not the welds... however if you wanna whip out the certs im not former or retired im still active and a master tech as well and i can tell you professionally that my certs did NOT help me to spot a crack that was not on a weld... just a good pair of eyes... but then again thats the type of thinking they encourage at ford... just like the 450 dollar air filter for the 05+ focus. i see why you and teraflex are bedroom buddies :thumb:

dont really need to be an ase certified master tech to notice that the metal is cracking and not the welds... however if you wanna whip out the certs im not former or retired im still active and a master tech as well and i can tell you professionally that my certs did NOT help me to spot a crack that was not on a weld... just a good pair of eyes... but then again thats the type of thinking they encourage at ford... just like the 450 dollar air filter for the 05+ focus. i see why you and teraflex are bedroom buddies :thumb:

well that depends on if your certificates are recognized by the manufacturer. I agree a good pair of eyes will spot a crack every time.

Top Bottom