Teraflex?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, in my current build, I have outgrown a spring/shock setup and will be going to coilovers. Tera doesn't offer that.

They don't offer coil overs because their bushings can't handle big flex. But, you don't need to take my word for it, you'll find out soon enough for yourself if you live somewhere in the United States that you can flex out your Jeep and on a regular basis.

If you need a good 3-4" lift, Tera is a good choice at a decent price.

If you like stiff coils, yeah, they'll get the job done. I've installed both and it should be noted that if you want 3", you need to get the 2.5" kit and if you want 4", you'll need to get the 3" kit. Also, I would skip the 9550 shocks and get something like a set of Rancho 7000MT's or Bilstein 5100's.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Eddie so if i swap out my 2.5" tf coils for some 3" plush rides it should sit just about the same height? if so thats perfect.

mikegronholz

They don't offer coil overs because their bushings can't handle big flex. But, you don't need to take my word for it, you'll find out soon enough for yourself if you live somewhere in the United States that you can flex out your Jeep and on a regular basis.

If you like stiff coils, yeah, they'll get the job done. I've installed both and it should be noted that if you want 3", you need to get the 2.5" kit and if you want 4", you'll need to get the 3" kit. Also, I would skip the 9550 shocks and get something like a set of Rancho 7000MT's or Bilstein 5100's.

Nothing personal, but you CLEARLY don't like Tera (except for the BB which is the same as everyone's ... only two urethane manufacturers in the world). It's your site, you are the mod, say and do as you like.

As for coil rate, my 4" springs with Fox shocks (from Fox, not Tera) ride the exact same as my 10a springs did with factory shocks. My 2007 JK with 3" springs on 5100's was slightly stiffer than stock. Personal experience, not second hand.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I think Eddie is right. He tells it like it is and sometimes, people have a hard time swallowing the fact that something they bought isn't the best. I run some parts that most deem "junk", and they work for me because I don't wheel as hard as some of the guys here (which can be said for most wrangler owners if we are honest.) I have said not so nice things about almost every manufacturer I can think of since I starting modding cars, and that was a long long time ago. Every company has winners and losers. Good companies make mostly winners. Teraflex has great products, and has meh products.

Having said all that, I like Teraflex as a company for one BIG reason...they stand behind their products, they have a presence on the forums, and they try and take care of you. I have had companies (no name mentioning, ignore me, tell me it's my fault, hang up on me, etc when I had issues with their products) and I've had "junk" manufacturers overnight me stuff at their expense to keep me happy. Rugged Ridge, Rampage, Smittybilt all have done right by me in any issue I have ever had. Now, Im not for one second saying that they are better than PSC, EVO, LOD, etc, but one must also remember that the part itself is only part of the equasion, the company behind it is important to me as well.

P.S. I have no skin in the game for ANY company. I don't care, Im not a brand loyalist. If the part is great, I say so, if its crap, I say so. I never bash a company with one exception....I go out of my way to bash a company that tells me (on a warranty claim) USER ERROR.

If I install a Teraflex trackbar lets say, and it breaks out on the trail, and they don't replaced it because of "user error" I will go on a crusade to hurt the company as much as I can. I can't stand it. The last company that did this to me was Optima batteries. They knew they had a batch of contaminated lead which made 10000 bad batteries, but still denied warranties because of user error.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing personal, but you CLEARLY don't like Tera (except for the BB which is the same as everyone's ... only two urethane manufacturers in the world).

LOL!! Nothing personal but, you CLEARLY choose to believe whatever it is you want to believe.

It's your site, you are the mod, say and do as you like.

Well duh. But, let's take this where it really needs to go. This isn't your site, you're a nobody to me and yet, you get to say as you like too. :shock:

As for coil rate, my 4" springs with Fox shocks (from Fox, not Tera) ride the exact same as my 10a springs did with factory shocks. My 2007 JK with 3" springs on 5100's was slightly stiffer than stock. Personal experience, not second hand.

Like I always say, ride quality is 100% subjective and if you liked your factory ride, more power to you. Me, I prefer a softer more comfortable ride but, that's just me. Personal experience, not second hand. ;)

mikegronholz

I think Eddie is right. He tells it like it is and sometimes, people have a hard time swallowing the fact that something they bought isn't the best.

If I had the opportunity to "support" a local shop that supplied me "the best", I'd ensure that others were not the best too.

No component is "the best". To be the best, there must be definitive evidence that one product is superior to another to everyone. What is the best ? Rockjock 60, ProRock 60, CRD 60, Solid Axle ? There is no "best" ... ask 100 people that run them, and they all have differing opinions. A users NEEDS dictates what their desires are. Like beauty, "best" is in the eye of the beholder. To tell someone what they run is crap is like calling their woman ugly. Just bad form.

Personally, you can tell me whatever you want. I took a bullet so you could tell me that, I lived, so I just laugh it off ... OOH-RAH fellas ... crawlin back under the Jeep

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Having said all that, I like Teraflex as a company for one BIG reason...they stand behind their products, they have a presence on the forums, and they try and take care of you. I have had companies (no name mentioning, ignore me, tell me it's my fault, hang up on me, etc when I had issues with their products) and I've had "junk" manufacturers overnight me stuff at their expense to keep me happy. Rugged Ridge, Rampage, Smittybilt all have done right by me in any issue I have ever had. Now, Im not for one second saying that they are better than PSC, EVO, LOD, etc, but one must also remember that the part itself is only part of the equasion, the company behind it is important to me as well.

In my book, the best customer service or warranty is the one I never have to use. Being able to get a new part overnighted to me at the manufactures expense is worthless when you're out on the trail and 100 miles from the closest pavement.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
In my book, the best customer service or warranty is the one I never have to use. Being able to get a new part overnighted to me at the manufactures expense is worthless when you're out on the trail and 100 miles from the closest pavement.

Agreed, obviously the ideal thing would be to not break in the first place. Having said that, you of all people know that things do indeed break, good or crappy. You can break a dynatrac axle, a teraflex track bar, or a Metalcloak bushing. It is nice to know that a company does stand behind their product when you get home. The best mod for your scenario by far is a satellite phone. :D

I also agree that if one is going to wheel as hard as you do, it's a matter of buy once and buy right. If I did your kind of wheeling, I would buy the best money can buy. For the majority of wrangler owners, it would be what we in the sports car world call paper racing. Sure your rig COULD climb Mt. Everest, but in reality, you are just using it to go up a dirt driveway to a bbq. :D

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I had the opportunity to "support" a local shop that supplied me "the best", I'd ensure that others were not the best too.

:cheesy: And here it come, just like a true fanboy. In spite of all the facts, evidence, photos and videos I can provide to back up the things I have seen and personally experienced, you would still slanderously suggest that anything I might have to share should be discredited due to my friendship with a manufacturer other than the one you choose to support.

Still, I'm glad to hear that "YOU" would openly admit that "YOU" would behave in this manner.

No component is "the best". To be the best, there must be definitive evidence that one product is superior to another to everyone. What is the best ? Rockjock 60, ProRock 60, CRD 60, Solid Axle ? There is no "best" ... ask 100 people that run them, and they all have differing opinions.

Actually, when it comes to something like axles, there really is a best in my book and based on how each is built and how they perform on the trail. You can ask 100 people that run them and most will swear by what they chose to spend their money on but, you can't change the fact that some are made with thicker tubes, some have better clearance due to it's design or how some use beefier end forgings, knuckles and ball joints. These are the kind of factors that I look into before buying what I buy and don't kid yourself, I've had opportunities to get a RockJock 60 and CRD 60 at a price I couldn't refuse but did. Sorry but, this is one area where I will have to disagree with you 100%.

A users NEEDS dictates what their desires are. Like beauty, "best" is in the eye of the beholder. To tell someone what they run is crap is like calling their woman ugly. Just bad form.

Funny, nobody I know has ever said what you run is crap. All I've done is share what I have experienced and seen and really, you can take it or leave it.

I took a bullet so you could tell me that, I lived, so I just laugh it off ... OOH-RAH fellas

For the love of god, really? :rolleyes2:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There ... fixed it for ya ... :icon_crazy:

If that's what you really believe, I suppose it sucks to be you. ;)

Agreed, obviously the ideal thing would be to not break in the first place. Having said that, you of all people know that things do indeed break, good or crappy. You can break a dynatrac axle, a teraflex track bar, or a Metalcloak bushing. It is nice to know that a company does stand behind their product when you get home. The best mod for your scenario by far is a satellite phone. :D

I also agree that if one is going to wheel as hard as you do, it's a matter of buy once and buy right. If I did your kind of wheeling, I would buy the best money can buy. For the majority of wrangler owners, it would be what we in the sports car world call paper racing. Sure your rig COULD climb Mt. Everest, but in reality, you are just using it to go up a dirt driveway to a bbq. :D

Yup, everything breaks and when it does in remote areas, it can really suck. This is the reason why I run what I do, to try and mitigate breaks as much as possible.

JAGS

Hooked
No component is "the best". To be the best, there must be definitive evidence that one product is superior to another to everyone. What is the best ? Rockjock 60, ProRock 60, CRD 60, Solid Axle ? There is no "best" ... ask 100 people that run them, and they all have differing opinions. A users NEEDS dictates what their desires are. Like beauty, "best" is in the eye of the beholder. To tell someone what they run is crap is like calling their woman ugly. Just bad form.

You said this exactly right and I totally agree with you.

But, I think you are confusing what was said, with how you are reading it. Eddie has no problem with people running what they want. He couldn't care less if you are built up or stock (as me how I know :crazyeyes:). But that wasn't the issue here and almost never is when fan boys start chirping. Someone asked for "opinions" on a product or type of product. So Eddie (and others) gave opinion and went on to state first-hand, personal issues with certain lifts and components with regards to breaking and possible quality issues.

If someone were ask for a "decent" lift without breaking the bank, I'm sure Eddie and everyone else would help a fellow jeeper out. That's not what was asked. So you coming in to bash Eddie (others) and tout all your TF gear is really outside the scope of the original question. You clearly like TF and that's cool...you haven't had any breaks or failures. Have you run EVO stuff, Ranchos, Kings, Curries, RK, etc. etc.? First hand comparisons? Or maybe you broke an EVO set up. Please share your vast knowledge.

Personally, you can tell me whatever you want. I took a bullet so you could tell me that, I lived, so I just laugh it off ... OOH-RAH fellas ... crawlin back under the Jeep

Really dude? Many vets and officers and firefighters up in here and you don't need to pull the "I've taken a bullet" card. It's irrelevant and makes you look desperate. Next you'll be saying how joking about hitting a body isn't cool and have ur wife come on here. :cheesy:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
If that's what you really believe, I suppose it sucks to be you. ;)

Yup, everything breaks and when it does in remote areas, it can really suck. This is the reason why I run what I do, to try and mitigate breaks as much as possible.

Why are you on the forum posting? Shouldnt you be busy busy editing a video? ;) I check for your JKX updates every 15 minutes hoping you guys will put out part 1. :cheesy: Your vids keep me goin between my own adventures. :D

MTG

Caught the Bug
You can call me a Teraflex fanboy if you like...but the one thing they make that I enjoy...is humerous short videos. ;)

Oh and I bought a Teraflex exhaust spacer, but sold it becuase I didn't need it.

:cheesy:

Aeraun

I think one of the biggest issues with discussing brands, especially lifts, is not only the subjectivity in terms of ride preference, cost, looks, etc. but mostly the relativity when it comes to how you wheel and how other. One may put in their time and money on a product and wheel on mild trails once a year. That product lasts and the user feel he/she has a quality product, which they do for what they run. Eddie wheels harder and more often than most of us on the forum combined. With that, the said product above might have catastrophic failure after Eddie using it for an hour. To say that Eddie just bashes products to support ones that "sponsor" him or whatever is a bit of a stretch and insulting to him obviously. Its understandable on one ground and that's that Eddie has gone through product after product to find the one that keeps up with what he wants to do and he has so of course he supports it. Besides having a fully built, custom rock crawler, I think Eddie is the example to follow and gauge your build by in terms of what you want to do. Like was said, there is no "best" per say, its about finding what build is right for you, not which lift is "better". Hell, someone may have exactly what they want by just having a stock Rubi, doesn't mean someone's build is "better" if they all do what you want them to for as long as you want them to. No reason to make all of this so personal. *shrug

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why are you on the forum posting? Shouldnt you be busy busy editing a video? ;) I check for your JKX updates every 15 minutes hoping you guys will put out part 1. :cheesy: Your vids keep me goin between my own adventures. :D

:cheesy: Cindy does all the work, I just get to help her out :D

mikegronholz

Actually, when it comes to something like axles, there really is a best in my book and based on how each is built and how they perform on the trail. You can ask 100 people that run them and most will swear by what they chose to spend their money on but, you can't change the fact that some are made with thicker tubes, some have better clearance due to it's design or how some use beefier end forgings, knuckles and ball joints. These are the kind of factors that I look into before buying what I buy and don't kid yourself, I've had opportunities to get a RockJock 60 and CRD 60 at a price I couldn't refuse but did. Sorry but, this is one area where I will have to disagree with you 100%.

For the love of god, really? :rolleyes2:

So explain then ... why is a PR44 better than say a Tera44 ? put up or shut up time ? Tera has a larger diamerter tube, oh yes, a thicker tube tube at a full half inch thick, you can run any ball joint you want, or run Tera's rebuildable Bjs ... so why is the PR44 the best with a small tube diameter and thickness and casting thickness ? Can you utter, that Tera just might make a superior product than someone you have been ... OMG ... "paid" to represent ????????

You have your "faves". They are plastered all over the sides of your jeeps, the banners on the site, etc.

As for your "really" comment, yes really. 60% DV buddy ... wanna see the scars ? Disrespect the well earned blood stripes this SSgt of Marines earned ...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You said this exactly right and I totally agree with you.

But, I think you are confusing what was said, with how you are reading it. Eddie has no problem with people running what they want. He couldn't care less if you are built up or stock (as me how I know :crazyeyes:). But that wasn't the issue here and almost never is when fan boys start chirping. Someone asked for "opinions" on a product or type of product. So Eddie (and others) gave opinion and went on to state first-hand, personal issues with certain lifts and components with regards to breaking and possible quality issues.

If someone were ask for a "decent" lift without breaking the bank, I'm sure Eddie and everyone else would help a fellow jeeper out. That's not what was asked. So you coming in to bash Eddie (others) and tout all your TF gear is really outside the scope of the original question. You clearly like TF and that's cool...you haven't had any breaks or failures. Have you run EVO stuff, Ranchos, Kings, Curries, RK, etc. etc.? First hand comparisons? Or maybe you broke an EVO set up. Please share your vast knowledge.

Really dude? Many vets and officers and firefighters up in here and you don't need to pull the "I've taken a bullet" card. It's irrelevant and makes you look desperate. Next you'll be saying how joking about hitting a body isn't cool and have ur wife come on here. :cheesy:

I think one of the biggest issues with discussing brands, especially lifts, is not only the subjectivity in terms of ride preference, cost, looks, etc. but mostly the relativity when it comes to how you wheel and how other. One may put in their time and money on a product and wheel on mild trails once a year. That product lasts and the user feel he/she has a quality product, which they do for what they run. Eddie wheels harder and more often than most of us on the forum combined. With that, the said product above might have catastrophic failure after Eddie using it for an hour. To say that Eddie just bashes products to support ones that "sponsor" him or whatever is a bit of a stretch and insulting to him obviously. Its understandable on one ground and that's that Eddie has gone through product after product to find the one that keeps up with what he wants to do and he has so of course he supports it. Besides having a fully built, custom rock crawler, I think Eddie is the example to follow and gauge your build by in terms of what you want to do. Like was said, there is no "best" per say, its about finding what build is right for you, not which lift is "better". Hell, someone may have exactly what they want by just having a stock Rubi, doesn't mean someone's build is "better" if they all do what you want them to for as long as you want them to. No reason to make all of this so personal. *shrug

Thanks guys, I appreciate you being able to see things for what they really are. Honestly, I couldn't care less what anybody runs, it's your Jeep and if you're happy, I say let's go wheeling. If you want my opinion, I'll give it to you and, if you want to know about the things I have seen and experienced, I will share them with you as well. For all I care, you can take it or leave it. :yup:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
So explain then ... why is a PR44 better than say a Tera44 ? put up or shut up time ? Tera has a larger diamerter tube, oh yes, a thicker tube tube at a full half inch thick, you can run any ball joint you want, or run Tera's rebuildable Bjs ... so why is the PR44 the best with a small tube diameter and thickness and casting thickness ? Can you utter, that Tera just might make a superior product than someone you have been ... OMG ... "paid" to represent ????????

You have your "faves". They are plastered all over the sides of your jeeps, the banners on the site, etc.

As for your "really" comment, yes really. 60% DV buddy ... wanna see the scars ? Disrespect the well earned blood stripes this SSgt of Marines earned ...

Please stop injecting your military service into this discussion. It makes you look stupid, not to mention, insulting to other service members. You served your country? Great, I applaud you for it, but don't stick it into a discussion that has nothing to do with it.

Top Bottom