Tires on Dana44???

WJCO

Meme King
Guys stop! Literally looking for the great advice i was promised i would get by seasoned wheelers. I'm no tech. Most of this is foreign and really would like the help. I just learned about C gussets yesterday and didn't know a mod like that was doable to axle shafts. C'mon...

You don't gusset the rear. Only the front. The gussets reinforce the end C's on the front axles to prevent bending. If budget isn't an issue and you are serious and not fucking around, just get the Dynatrac Trail Leader package. It will come with a complete front axle ProRock 44 and rear chromoly shafts with a rear locker. Not necessary, but if you're keeping the Jeep, this would be a great upgrade. Still not sure if you're legit but whatever. You kinda sound like a drunk Texan that I know.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Guys stop! Literally looking for the great advice i was promised i would get by seasoned wheelers. I'm no tech. Most of this is foreign and really would like the help. I just learned about C gussets yesterday and didn't know a mod like that was doable to axle shafts. C'mon...

What did you learn about C gussets? Sounds like you’re still not sure what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

You don't gusset the rear. Only the front. The gussets reinforce the end C's on the front axles to prevent bending. If budget isn't an issue and you are serious and not fucking around, just get the Dynatrac Trail Leader package. It will come with a complete front axle ProRock 44 and rear chromoly shafts with a rear locker. Not necessary, but if you're keeping the Jeep, this would be a great upgrade. Still not sure if you're legit but whatever. You kinda sound like a drunk Texan that I know.

Budget is always an issue, c'mon. This is just all new to me. I've always rolled stock and tired of seeing trails i shouldn't climb. I need to do more. Now's the time.

35s, gussets, and don't be a little bitch. There you go. #thickskin

I think you're right. Really wanted to reach 37" but it's prob a little much if gussets and chromoly is a major suggestion for 35's. Thanks for the advice. Sorry you're in a Gr. Cherokee. Maybe you'd be less salty

WJCO

Meme King
Sorry you're in a Gr. Cherokee. Maybe you'd be less salty

Yeah, it's a total bitch grocery getter. Hopefully after my kids grow out of soccer, I can get a real Jeep and wheel with the big boys like you. Then I can gusset my rear axle and ask Dana 44 questions that I know nothing about and maybe even get laid. Then, just maybe, I can enjoy the outdoors with my Jeep. Until then, I'll just troll internet forums in hopes to grow a major cyber penis to compensate for my inadequacy. :beer:

Yeah, it's a total bitch grocery getter. Hopefully after my kids grow out of soccer, I can get a real Jeep and wheel with the big boys like you. Then I can gusset my rear axle and ask Dana 44 questions that I know nothing about and maybe even get laid. Then, just maybe, I can enjoy the outdoors with my Jeep. Until then, I'll just troll internet forums in hopes to grow a major cyber penis to compensate for my inadequacy. :beer:

I'll study more and ask a more in depth question next time kid. Just didn't even know things like additional welds on axles were even doable. That's the sort of info i was looking for. Ideas to keep breaks minimal. No harm meant pal. Was just hoping for a little more experience i could use and run with. No, i'm no tech, first build, and wanted little tips like that. Appreciate the help.

WJCO

Meme King
I'll study more and ask a more in depth question next time kid. Just didn't even know things like additional welds on axles were even doable. That's the sort of info i was looking for. Ideas to keep breaks minimal. No harm meant pal. Was just hoping for a little more experience i could use and run with. No, i'm no tech, first build, and wanted little tips like that. Appreciate the help.

No worries, kid. Sounds like your first order of action is to weld some chromoly dildos to your frame. As far as axles, sounds like that is way beyond your capacity, don't even go there yet. As far as experience, sounds like an inflatable Trump or Hillary doll is the first mod you should put in your Jeep depending on your political preference. This definitely sounds like your first build, pal. First build here as well, I'm still waiting for the British to save me from freedom. It will come...It will come..

No worries, kid. Sounds like your first order of action is to weld some chromoly dildos to your frame. As far as axles, sounds like that is way beyond your capacity, don't even go there yet. As far as experience, sounds like an inflatable Trump or Hillary doll is the first mod you should put in your Jeep depending on your political preference. This definitely sounds like your first build, pal. First build here as well, I'm still waiting for the British to save me from freedom. It will come...It will come..

Really appreciate the love from the Jeep community. No i didn't turn wrenches as a kid and don't now. You're great WJCO. Thanks foo.

Last edited:

BaddestCross

Hey guys, just signed up and planning a build. I was told this was the corner of the internet to find for real Jeepers. I'm running a 3.8 2007 Rubi. I know, the engine... But i found her last year with only 28K on odo! I compromised for a Jeep i've always wanted. Now planning beef and want to get this as close to proper the first time to avoid ridiculous 💸. I heard y'all would know best. What tire size will the Dana44 handle? I do have the 6 speed manual and planning 5.13's. Also planning chromoly axles times 4? Necessary? I would like to do over a 35". Help me get this started right. Also liking the Metalcloak game changer tech (3.5")? Thoughts there?

Okay, I'll bite for a second...

I'm not clear on whether you have a 2 or 4 door, but most of this stuff is the same for either...

You can run 35s with a budget boost or leveling kit. 2-2.5" is all you really need. To run 37s, 3-3.5" with trimmed or aftermarket flat fenders is enough.

Minimum upgrades for 35s: C gussets welded on your front axle, Chromoly axle shafts with full-circle clips on the u-joints.

Minimum upgrades for 37s: see above, but add front and rear driveshafts, adjustable control arms, and extended brake lines due to the larger lift. Depending on which lift you go with, add a flipped drag link and raised track bars.

Gearing: 5.13 is a deep as you'll wanna go on a D44 because of the tiny pinion gear beyond that. 5.13 is perfect for 35s and does well with 37s although 5.38 would be better.

The 3.8L is a good motor, just keep up with the maintenance. I've got over 100k on mine and is running strong.

The Metalcloak isn't really favored here, but I've heard good things. I'd be leary of their funky shocks because there's been several reports of them leaking. Other options would be the EVO Enforcer, Currie, Synergy, or even the Rancho 2" Sport lift if you're on a budget.

I've probably forgotten some shit, but a good place to start for an education is the JK Tech forum. There are stickys at the top with FAQs and a table of contents for the most common questions, installs, fixes, etc.

Welcome to WAL from SoCal. 🍻

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Thanks for the help help man. Much appreciated. Really wanna reach that 37" mark but just sounds like it's prob best not to. I'll do more research on what you mentioned and go from there. I'll check the EVO stuff. Really wanna do this right. The rest is all over my head but really appreciate the help. 35 is a let down but i'll do what i can with what i got. I did read that about the rings getting to small. Again thanks!

BaddestCross

Thanks for the help help man. Much appreciated. Really wanna reach that 37" mark but just sounds like it's prob best not to. I'll do more research on what you mentioned and go from there. I'll check the EVO stuff. Really wanna do this right. The rest is all over my head but really appreciate the help. 35 is a let down but i'll do what i can with what i got. I did read that about the rings getting to small. Again thanks!
No reason you can't do 37s and if that's what you really want, plan accordingly. If your budget can support everything at once, great. If it can't, build with the end goal in mind so you don't have to buy things twice.

It took me 2 years to get to 37s because I couldn't afford everything up front. I did what I needed to do to safely run 35s, and then started stockpiling the additional parts to make the jump to 37s.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

No reason you can't do 37s and if that's what you really want, plan accordingly. If your budget can support everything at once, great. If it can't, build with the end goal in mind so you don't have to buy things twice.

It took me 2 years to get to 37s because I couldn't afford everything up front. I did what I needed to do to safely run 35s, and then started stockpiling the additional parts to make the jump to 37s.

--

Smart idea for the end game. Much appreciated!

Top Bottom