Total Solar Eclipse - August 21, 2017

PT1400

Anyone coming to Oregon. Everything is either booked up or blocked off for our own fires. If you're thinking of camping around d Detroit Lake, OR, the area has been closed due to fires.

jwalt

All this fire smoke is making for a very red sun right now. Will be interesting to see how it turns out next week. The area has already started seeing an influx of people and camping areas are very full. Yellowstone park is overly busy already not worth visiting at this time. I want to get out on some more trails and more camping but will hold off for a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
All this fire smoke is making for a very red sun right now. Will be interesting to see how it turns out next week. The area has already started seeing an influx of people and camping areas are very full. Yellowstone park is overly busy already not worth visiting at this time. I want to get out on some more trails and more camping but will hold off for a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Yup and next week it will only be worse .. wishes i could leave before sat morning but gotta work fri night so plan to head right out afterwards to make it where i am headed by late afternoon early evening and hope where i want to stay isnt packed full .. if so will head for my backup and as its more primitive than my first choice im hopeful it will be open

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
Read a article today that was talking about how the total coverage zone edge maps are off by up to 1/4 in places so be aware if your on the edge you might not really be on the edge .. plan to go closer to center line if you want be sure of full coverage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

PT1400

You're talking about 0.01% coverage? Not an exact number but probably close. The path for 100% coverage is about 75-80 miles across. You would have to drive another 50 miles to loose 1% coverage. Sounds like you found some click bait drama.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
na its a science thing , the sun happens to be a big ball of burning gas as you know and measuring a ball of burning gas is not a exact thing that can be done with precision therefore the maps use a precise measurement not allowing for the changes in overall measurements on any given day , so the very outer edges of total coverage shadow could be more or less , the big thing is if your on the edge you only get a moment or two of full coverage anyways whereas if your closer to centerline then overall duration of full coverage is extended .......
so if your on the edge and thinking your good to go don't be shocked if when the moment comes your really not or if your just outside of it (and stuck at work) don't be shocked if you happen to get full coverage

Top Bottom