Twisted sector shaft - hydro assist or other?

Slimebones

It is absolutely essential that all clearances be checked thoroughly at full stuff and droop. Not to mention that hydraulic fittings are very critical to be tightened with finesse. PSC makes a fine product and I am glad to have this system on my Jeep.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Hopefully PSC works this out, I was looking into getting this box for myself in a very near future. I guess I will have to wait a little and call them to see what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

dwvninety

I twisted mine even this last outing. Replace with stock, PSC oversize or hydro assist. Before you answer PSC, understand that I have an Evo front with their high steer drag link flip and Evo doesn't recommend hydro assist unless there are custom mounts fabricated specific to this application, which neither they, nor PSC supply. If someone has done otherwise, please chime in.

I had a special bracket installed with the EVO drag link flip kit that works with the PSC ram
PSC1.jpg PSC2.jpg

aTX427

I'm thinking about setting the steering box up with quick disconnect fittings and have a spare on hand. I am hearing two problems with hydro; leaking fittings and clearance issues. How easily can the ram break an inner or outer C?

J

JKDream

I'm thinking about setting the steering box up with quick disconnect fittings and have a spare on hand. I am hearing two problems with hydro; leaking fittings and clearance issues. How easily can the ram break an inner or outer C?
You'd shear the mounting points off before you broke a C. I have never heard of someone breaking a C with hydro assist. Maybe full hydro and ridiculous tires.

**Derp, reread post.
Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

fiend

Caught the Bug
You'd shear the mounting points off before you broke a C. I have never heard of someone breaking a C with hydro assist. Maybe full hydro and ridiculous tires.

I also wouldn't keep a space steering box though lol. I would bring something to cap the hydro lines for a worst case scenario. You blow a line and you can cap it and continue driving.

And bring some extra fluid. Blow a line and your PS fluid is going to be in a puddle on the ground. Take the ram out of the system, cap the box, refill the system , and drive on.

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
You can get the XD box ported for hydro but cap it off until you decide to go that route.
Once you switch over to a ram assist, the turning force is determined mostly by your ram size.
You might have a BIT more turning power if you run a full size ram, but you can always go a bit smaller.
1.5 versus 1.75 for example.

I did not know this, thanks for the info. :thumb:

aTX427

It looks like the OE replacement part number is 5212634AE, but it must be a revised version, because all my searches point to 5212634AC for a 07-17 steering gear. I guess it would be wishful thinking to assume they fixed this problem.

aTX427

synergy front track bar bracket has the proper tabs for ram assist setup - the weld on bracket

That is a lot of force being applied to a track bar bracket, especially with a high mount. I would like to see if anyone has mounted it to the outer C like EVO recommended.

J

JKDream

That is a lot of force being applied to a track bar bracket, especially with a high mount. I would like to see if anyone has mounted it to the outer C like EVO recommended.
I don't know if you would get it to fit properly without being severely exposed if it was mounted to the C. The track bar bracket would be in the way.

There's plenty of people on the forum with hydro mounted to the bracket without issues. I think you would only have a problem if the bracket was either poorly welded, or bolted on.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I twisted mine even this last outing. Replace with stock, PSC oversize or hydro assist. Before you answer PSC, understand that I have an Evo front with their high steer drag link flip and Evo doesn't recommend hydro assist unless there are custom mounts fabricated specific to this application, which neither they, nor PSC supply. If someone has done otherwise, please chime in.

First off, the EVO drag link flip comes with a track bar relocation bracket - that is NOT the same thing as a "high steer". Second, EVO doesn't recommend a ram assist because most people install them on a tie-rod that is too weak and the force of the ram can and will bend them. IF you have a high quality tie-rod like the kind Currie makes, you will be fine running a ram with a mounting clamp on it and mounting tabs welded onto the track bar bracket as has been posted. This is what I had been running on Rubicat for years, without any issues and it's what I would recommend as it will GREATLY reduce the amount of stress your sector shaft will see. Of course, I am just a mall crawler so there's that.

tgoss

And bring some extra fluid. Blow a line and your PS fluid is going to be in a puddle on the ground. Take the ram out of the system, cap the box, refill the system , and drive on.

Wise words here.

First off, the EVO drag link flip comes with a track bar relocation bracket - that is NOT the same thing as a "high steer". Second, EVO doesn't recommend a ram assist because most people install them on a tie-rod that is too weak and the force of the ram can and will bend them. IF you have a high quality tie-rod like the kind Currie makes, you will be fine running a ram with a mounting clamp on it and mounting tabs welded onto the track bar bracket as has been posted. This is what I had been running on Rubicat for years, without any issues and it's what I would recommend as it will GREATLY reduce the amount of stress your sector shaft will see. Of course, I am just a mall crawler so there's that.

Might I add on top of this that these bolt on track bar relocation kits are simply that, bolt on. They come with a u bolt and some hardware to bolt onto your factory track bar bracket which can work fine for the purpose intended. Adding a hydraulic ram to this set up will at some point result in failure of this so I would highly suggest getting something substantial welded to the axle tube itself.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wise words here.

Might I add on top of this that these bolt on track bar relocation kits are simply that, bolt on. They come with a u bolt and some hardware to bolt onto your factory track bar bracket which can work fine for the purpose intended. Adding a hydraulic ram to this set up will at some point result in failure of this so I would highly suggest getting something substantial welded to the axle tube itself.

Yup. I NEVER recommend installing a track bar relocation bracket without having it burned on.

aTX427

Do you have a few pictures you can post if you have the time with the setup on your stock axles? I'm not sure if you had the bolt on coilover system at that time, but the closer to my setup the better.

I called Evo and it sounds like they do not make a full weld on replacement high mount track bar mount. They recommended welding up to the stock track bar bracket, then reinforcing everything. Which I can do, but it's going to look like Frankenstein by the time it's done.

As far as tie rod ends are concerned, I have a solid 1.5" 7075 tie rod and drag link with 7/8" 3/4 ton TRE's from Ruff Stuff. I know they can bend, but can they take the force of hydro assist?

Top Bottom