Unlimited Sport or Rubicon

scooter k

After thinking about it more I think I might try and buy a used one. I would like the 3.6 so don't I need to but a 2012 or newer?

Devallee

Go rubicon! I bought a sport and have regretted it since day 1. It would've been much easier and cheaper to start bigger. Either way I love my jeep, but would've started with a rubicon if I could do it again

Dirt

My opinion looking back would be rubicon. Lower gear in the transfer case. Stock 4:10gears will get you by for a while till you re-gear for the 35s you will want. Electric disconnecting sway bar is nice option. And the lockers are always an highly tactical option. The real big weakness of the jeep in my opinion is the factory skids and transmission cross member. My first time rock crawling I hit pretty good, then taco'ed my crossmember. So reinforce your track bar axle mounts and upgrade to thicker tranny crossmember. And look into a good skid plate system. And your jeep will be hard to stop on moderate trails. If I was going to do it all over. I would buy a yuppe lease turn in rubi and save some money. Just my opinion.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
My opinion looking back would be rubicon. Lower gear in the transfer case. Stock 4:10gears will get you by for a while till you re-gear for the 35s you will want. Electric disconnecting sway bar is nice option. And the lockers are always an highly tactical option. The real big weakness of the jeep in my opinion is the factory skids and transmission cross member. My first time rock crawling I hit pretty good, then taco'ed my crossmember. So reinforce your track bar axle mounts and upgrade to thicker tranny crossmember. And look into a good skid plate system. And your jeep will be hard to stop on moderate trails. If I was going to do it all over. I would buy a yuppe lease turn in rubi and save some money. Just my opinion.

My factory skids have held up fine. They have taken a beating but that's what they are there for. Only thing needed is an oil pan skid and a tranny crossmember on an auto. It's not needed for a manual.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Of course, I'm just a mall crawler but, after 7+ years, I'm still running factory skid plates on my white JK and they're doing just fine.

Conversely, on the JKX, there was a guy in our group who broke a transfer case shift linkage bushing and it took over 3 hours to fix because he had the most impossibly hot and difficult to remove skid plate system.

Wethy

i can definitely vouch for waiting.. i bought a sport... well because im only 23 and an apprentice plumber and dont think ill have a need for lockers yet..... but i wanted 2dr and 3.73s 6spd and trailer hitch on a base sport. the first dealership i went to didnt even think i was serious because i was coming in covered in dirt from work..... so i went to a second dealer and they were more than glad to help. offered me one on the lot that had the 3.21's and said he could see about getting a swap done to 3.73s and would throw the hitch in until his service manager told him the price of the swap(roughly 2k up here in canada) so they offered to find me one and do a dealer trade.... the sticker price was 27k and as far as options.... it had the 17's the side steps, the 3.73's hitch locking lug nuts...... there was a 3500 manufacturers discount so that would take it down to 23,5 and i bartered with them because i told them i had no need for the bigger tires because it was just gonna cost me more for bigger tires when i wanted to upsize and i really didnt need or want the side steps because i was going to replace them with more sturdy sliders..... well i got them to take another 2k off and give me lifetime oil changes and the lifetime warranty as well.... so basically saved another 3k(warranty is around 1800 in canada) so i ended up paying 21,800 for my sport..... plus all the other taxes and fees i think i did alright considering the base before options was 24 i think iirc

side note... i really did want the 17's just didnt feel like i should have to pay for them lol

scooter k

If I'm not going to do a lot of serious off road use is it worth it to get the Rubicon? There's tons of everything else around here but used Rubicons are harder to come by. After reading it looks like I'll need to change gears to run 35" tires anyway.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I'm not going to do a lot of serious off road use is it worth it to get the Rubicon? There's tons of everything else around here but used Rubicons are harder to come by. After reading it looks like I'll need to change gears to run 35" tires anyway.

Just so that it's clear, there's nothing wrong with a Sport or Sahara. "Worth it" is a relative term and really something you need to decide for yourself. For me, it would be but only because of what I know I want. Depending on how you use your Jeep, you may not need a 4:1 transfer case, or lockers or even a sway bar disconnect and if you really want leather or a MyGig, a Sahara can get you that. So again, it just depends.

scooter k

My local dealer has a used 2014 Rubicon with 17K on it. It's silver, auto, but has 3.73 gears in it. I really wanted a white one but would consider a silver one I think. Kinda wanted 4.10 gears in it to get me buy on 35" tires for awhile. Anyway I just heard back and they said they have one they can buy at the auction. 2012 white Rubicon with 4.10 gears and 20K on it. Not sure on the price but heard the older 3.6 engines had some cylinder head issues too. What would you guys do?

KingCopperhead

I'd buy the one on the lot with the 3.73's

Then I'd order 5.13 gears, and some 37 in mud grapplers, have em installed within the first week of ownership ;-)

Fwiw I run 35's on 3.73 gears in my non rubi and it's fine. Not great but livable. I do have a 6sp tho

My local dealer has a used 2014 Rubicon with 17K on it. It's silver, auto, but has 3.73 gears in it. I really wanted a white one but would consider a silver one I think. Kinda wanted 4.10 gears in it to get me buy on 35" tires for awhile. Anyway I just heard back and they said they have one they can buy at the auction. 2012 white Rubicon with 4.10 gears and 20K on it. Not sure on the price but heard the older 3.6 engines had some cylinder head issues too. What would you guys do?

No question, I'd go with the 14' just for the 3.6!

scooter k

The 14 is an auto and they are asking 38003 for it. Asked about what the price out the door no trade was and they gave me that story about how their prices are all no haggle...blah blah blah

scull20

The 14 is an auto and they are asking 38003 for it. Asked about what the price out the door no trade was and they gave me that story about how their prices are all no haggle...blah blah blah

Take a look at the Treadlightly deal of they want to play hardball. You donate to them and become a Chrysler Affiliate. You'll get a guaranteed 1% below invoice price no questions asked. Then you can walk in and tell them that if they want your business they'll have to sweeten the pot and give you say 2-3% below invoice (which equates to roughly 9% off MSRP, give or take).

Don't let them sucker you in to 100$ Below 1% below invoice either. If you stick with it they'll move lower to 2-3% below invoice if they want to make the sale.

I'm sure there are other ways to get similar or better deals, but I went the route I explained above and it was pretty painless. This was on a 2014 JKUR that came to just a smidge under $40k when I ordered it.

Last edited:

scooter k

After several months of kicking tires and having several sold before I could strike a deal I'm closer to buying.
2015 JKUR 43755 with the options I want and they are selling it for invoice of 40921. It's at another dealer and they are dealer trading for it and want an additional 300 for costs to get it here. Bringing the total to 41121. I offered them 40000 for it plus taxes and license etc. They came back right away and said no thanks. They again said the vehicle was priced to sell. I'm guessing the price will not change much. They seem to move these quite easily unless they have an ugly color. I also have the option to order one or buy something with different options.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
After several months of kicking tires and having several sold before I could strike a deal I'm closer to buying.
2015 JKUR 43755 with the options I want and they are selling it for invoice of 40921. It's at another dealer and they are dealer trading for it and want an additional 300 for costs to get it here. Bringing the total to 41121. I offered them 40000 for it plus taxes and license etc. They came back right away and said no thanks. They again said the vehicle was priced to sell. I'm guessing the price will not change much. They seem to move these quite easily unless they have an ugly color. I also have the option to order one or buy something with different options.

I was out the door at 39 (+taxes/title etc). I think you should keep looking. If you haven't already, look into the tread lightly discount and the Costco car buying program. It sounds like they are assuming they have you by the balls. Which is why they are not budging on the price. If it were me Id tell them to call me if they ever change their mind and are ready to come to your price. Hope this helps.

Loading please wait....

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

It's only $1k. Have them throw in 3 years of oil changes to make up for. Are you really willing to let the jeep go for $1k?

I would ask for the oil changes and say you will pick it up at the other dealership or wave those fees.

JKWrang

It's only $1k. Have them throw in 3 years of oil changes to make up for. Are you really willing to let the jeep go for $1k?

I would ask for the oil changes and say you will pick it up at the other dealership or wave those fees.

^^^^this.
Fwiw 1k = 20 a month or so in payments. If you're in a 40k market that shouldnt be a huge deal breaker.

If you were looking at a 26k jeep I could see your point lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

scooter k

I'm approved for the money I want to borrow. I guess maybe I should just buy it but I'm "cheap" at times and hate to pay their asking price. Reason why I've missed out on all of them. My wife says I always kick tires for 3 years.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom