Well I know someone who ain't makin it to EJS

Ddays

Hooked
Cal Jack it suspension. Here in salt lake. They carry some JK driveshaft options. They’re open until 3pm Utah time. 801-974-7960. If they can arrange for me to pick it up after I’m off work at 5:30 I will snag it and drive down to you in Moab. Also our local 4wheel parts. Ugly I know but an option. Keep us posted.

Man I owe you one someday based on your generosity! Can’t thank you enough man.

Unfortunately based on a best/worst case scenario most I’d be able to wheel now would be 2 days before I left on Thursday. Other considerations as well are forcing a return trip. Once I decided and headed East I realized I was making the correct decision. Sucks but sometimes shit just happens

Sent from my iThingie

Ddays

Hooked
Tom Woods is in Utah and has free one day shipping there. I’m sure there are other options in Denver too.

Thanks for the tip! I’m probably gonna end up ordering one from them when I get back home.

Sent from my iThingie

fiend

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the tip! I’m probably gonna end up ordering one from them when I get back home.

Sent from my iThingie

I’m going to be in Moab all first week of April. Get your rig fixed and come out then!

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Well Jerry, that sucks, but there is so much awesomeness in this thread. It’s very cool of so many people to offer to help. The outsiders, think this forum is full of a bunch of assholes, but I think this thread says otherwise.

All of you that offered to help...you guys rock!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Well Jerry, that sucks, but there is so much awesomeness in this thread. It’s very cool of so many people to offer to help. The outsiders, think this forum is full of a bunch of assholes, but I think this thread says otherwise.

All of you that offered to help...you guys rock!

Absolutely! I plan on posting this thread whenever the trolls popup

Sent from my iThingie

Ddays

Hooked
I’m going to be in Moab all first week of April. Get your rig fixed and come out then!

Thx for the offer! I wish I was in a position to take you up on it. I will be back there and plan on it several times

Sent from my iThingie

Thx for the offer! I wish I was in a position to take you up on it. I will be back there and plan on it several times

Sent from my iThingie
Safe travels. Hit me up when you plan your next trip out this way and I will free up some time to drive down and have some fun with ya. :beer:

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Holy shit Jerry!! I’m just catching up! Blows you couldn’t make it. But I’m glad nothing more serious happened.

Ddays

Hooked
Moab 4x4 Outpost rebuilt my driveshaft one year in 2 hours.

For sure I would have been able to snag a shaft or gotten this one repaired but the thought of finishing up the trip on Pritchett and driving back home to PA the next day on a junkyard Tcase really gave me pause. Other factors as well, but it sucked big time turning back for sure

Did you make it home today Jerry?

Pulled in about 8:30 last night :thumb:

This is the Tcase & broken pivot on the driveshaft. Taking the shaft to a local shop to see if its salvageable. Doesn't look like it but we'll see. The fire really didn't do too much damage but some wires will need to be replaced. Some already were by the shop. Really glad there wasn't any damage to the tranny or that the shaft didn't break free and start flopping all over. That could have been ugly. So, I'll lick my wounds and be thankful it turned out as well as it did in the end. Thanks again to everyone - It's really humbling to have received so many offers to help. Wayalife and all of the folks here are truly the best. Moab ain't goin anywhere. I'll get there although I may be towing that bitch next time!

0324181112.jpg

0325182110b.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Will you ever know if the driveshaft took out the case or the case took out the shaft?

Looking back on the event and replaying it over (and over and over and over on that long ass drive back :crazyeyes:), I'm leaning towards the shaft joint failing first and then rapidly causing the tcase to break apart because of the vibration. I felt something let loose and start vibrating which I'm thinking was the shaft. Then as I was pulling over I felt a second bigger vibration start which had to have been the case breaking apart. This all happened so fast. From the moment that I felt the first vibration to coming to a stop only took about 10 seconds. I really stood on the brakes. I looked back at the trail of junk I unfortunately laid down and it was only a couple hundred feet from where I was in the passing lane to my stopping point.

I dropped the front shaft off at a local driveshaft shop and they are going to let me know what they think happened after they tear it apart, They're thinking the same scenario that I laid out above. I'll let you know what I find out in the next day or so.....

Top Bottom