Westin Snyper skid plate

zimm

Caught the Bug
Westin has some clean jeeps.... I just checked on my rock hard today, I actually put a little dent in it. I guess I shouldn't follow rock buggies on the trails. Wonder how well those holes grab onto rocks?

33880683544_ec0d1b3d19_k.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I will. Built some quads and while no Jeep expert I know how to work with steel. Big difference from what I've done as an iron worker and a steel worker. I can weld and fabricate. I'm sure there are many here who know every bolt on their Jeep. That's why I read the forum. I got to say though 3/16s steel is better than the sheet metal oil pan and even if it just protects from road debris as one poster said, still better than getting a sharp rock lodged in the pan 40miles from nowhere. Since I already put 3 grand into the Rubicon a $400 skid plate is not in the budget but I still plan on of road trips, camping and fishing and use plenty of caution. Especially sine I have a lot to learn regarding capabilities of the machine and how to drive it in new situations.

I'm just wondering (since you have all these self proclaimed mad skills) why you haven't designed and fabricated your own for the cost of plate steel?

dwvninety

The idea is nice in order to save weight. But wonder how much you strength you sacrifice instead.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Those few holes wont be much of a saving in weight unless it's on a race care. The strength is not what the issue is, it is the holes that will fill with mud or snag a stick that can cause major problems or sharp rocks that can cause you to snag your Jeep. Unless Westin is advertising it more for show and mall crawling I don't see much use for it on a trail.

JMac79

Those few holes wont be much of a saving in weight unless it's on a race care. The strength is not what the issue is, it is the holes that will fill with mud or snag a stick that can cause major problems or sharp rocks that can cause you to snag your Jeep. Unless Westin is advertising it more for show and mall crawling I don't see much use for it on a trail.

True. Thought about the sticks and other things sneaking through the holes, so it would risky. Never thought about the mud though. Good point. Yeah I glanced at some of the pictures earlier and it does seem more for show than functionality.

Draconianwinter

I remember looking at this manufacturer before I got my jk and before I joined here. The one thing I remembered seeing allot of were bad reviews on most all of the products I was looking into. Not saying they were accurate or not just posted maliciously, but I tend to be mindful of reviews. Liking oon here there are allot of people running different setups from bumpers and rock gaurds to even skid plates. If you post up asking an opinion about a product you will likely get an answer. As for that manufacturer I was not impressed with their stuff at all for what they were asking versus some of the other brands. Evo makes a decent skid plate system, is it the best and offer the most protection? Not likely, but when it comes to weight saving and working like you need it too, then I would say they will be tough to beat.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I remember looking at this manufacturer before I got my jk and before I joined here. The one thing I remembered seeing allot of were bad reviews on most all of the products I was looking into. Not saying they were accurate or not just posted maliciously, but I tend to be mindful of reviews. Liking oon here there are allot of people running different setups from bumpers and rock gaurds to even skid plates. If you post up asking an opinion about a product you will likely get an answer. As for that manufacturer I was not impressed with their stuff at all for what they were asking versus some of the other brands. Evo makes a decent skid plate system, is it the best and offer the most protection? Not likely, but when it comes to weight saving and working like you need it too, then I would say they will be tough to beat.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'd have to agree. It's light, and will get the job done.

Top Bottom