Westin Snyper skid plate

I see. I am sure the forum owner is not an idiot. Seeing it's his forum and well done I do owe him an apology and will. I'm a guest here and was out of line. The advice had no real information. To everyone else you also have my apology as I can see how insulting the forum owner hit a nerve. As far as the skid plate, yes I'm no Jeep expert but read the specs and seriously am not breaking the bank and became the guinea pig to test it. So on it goes. Flame away if you must. I'll sit back and take what's being served. I hope it doesn't hurt my vagina too much or butthurt me. Or make me seem like not a Badass or whatever else you can come up with.

All jokes aside, post some pics when you install it and give us a solid review.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I see. I am sure the forum owner is not an idiot. Seeing it's his forum and well done I do owe him an apology and will. I'm a guest here and was out of line. The advice had no real information. To everyone else you also have my apology as I can see how insulting the forum owner hit a nerve. As far as the skid plate, yes I'm no Jeep expert but read the specs and seriously am not breaking the bank and became the guinea pig to test it. So on it goes. Flame away if you must. I'll sit back and take what's being served. I hope it doesn't hurt my vagina too much or butthurt me. Or make me seem like not a Badass or whatever else you can come up with.

For the record, real badasses never claim to be badasses. Anyways, you definitely got off on the wrong foot here. It sounds like you are possibly realizing that. Stick around and review your skid and contribute. But man up, this won't be the last time someone posts something you don't like.

WJCO

Meme King

Eddie was trying to save you money with his comment. A lot of members here wheel pretty hard and don't even have skids on the pan. I hope the product does work for you, but Westin is generally pretty low grade stuff.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Don't need? Saving the oil pan or trans pan is worth $160. Since you don't know me you have no idea of what I need and how I value my money. Frankly I likely don't need a $400 skid plate right now. Also $160 to me is not a big deal. A $44,000 vehicle is. That is why I have no plans on taking on huge rocks, deep mud or anything else that will damage the vehicle. Usually try not to reply to idiots but thought you needed some educating. Not that I'm calling you an idiot :rolleyes2:

:cheesy: Easy there sunshine, you might hurt yourself getting all pissy over a whole lot of nothing. You're right, I don't know you from Adam and I don't know anything about off roading, Jeeps or what you might need for them. As far as your money goes, it's yours and you should spend it however you want. Certainly, I couldn't care less. Thanks for the education though, apparently, I was in need of it.

Mark85383

All jokes aside, post some pics when you install it and give us a solid review.

I will. Built some quads and while no Jeep expert I know how to work with steel. Big difference from what I've done as an iron worker and a steel worker. I can weld and fabricate. I'm sure there are many here who know every bolt on their Jeep. That's why I read the forum. I got to say though 3/16s steel is better than the sheet metal oil pan and even if it just protects from road debris as one poster said, still better than getting a sharp rock lodged in the pan 40miles from nowhere. Since I already put 3 grand into the Rubicon a $400 skid plate is not in the budget but I still plan on of road trips, camping and fishing and use plenty of caution. Especially sine I have a lot to learn regarding capabilities of the machine and how to drive it in new situations.

I will. Built some quads and while no Jeep expert I know how to work with steel. Big difference from what I've done as an iron worker and a steel worker. I can weld and fabricate. I'm sure there are many here who know every bolt on their Jeep. That's why I read the forum. I got to say though 3/16s steel is better than the sheet metal oil pan and even if it just protects from road debris as one poster said, still better than getting a sharp rock lodged in the pan 40miles from nowhere. Since I already put 3 grand into the Rubicon a $400 skid plate is not in the budget but I still plan on of road trips, camping and fishing and use plenty of caution. Especially sine I have a lot to learn regarding capabilities of the machine and how to drive it in new situations.

I just got mine then took it out and beat the hell out of it.

Did you post in the wave section? Throw some pics of the jeep up

Mark85383

:cheesy: Easy there sunshine, you might hurt yourself getting all pissy over a whole lot of nothing. You're right, I don't know you from Adam and I don't know anything about off roading, Jeeps or what you might need for them. As far as your money goes, it's yours and you should spend it however you want. Certainly, I couldn't care less. Thanks for the education though, apparently, I was in need of it.
My bad. I obviously took it wrong. My apologies. Was just trying to contribute. I'll never be an expert at Jeep builds. Too many kids educations to worry about. I hope you will take this in stride. Not the type of man I am. Oh and to the guy that said i claimed to be a badass, 56 years old. Anyone my age looking to mix it up is going to get hurt and at my age you'd think I'd have learned to keep my mouth shut.

2017 JKUR

Mark85383

For the record, real badasses never claim to be badasses. Anyways, you definitely got off on the wrong foot here. It sounds like you are possibly realizing that. Stick around and review your skid and contribute. But man up, this won't be the last time someone posts something you don't like.

Cool. Manning up.

2017 JKUR

LearJeff

I have a serious question about these skid plates: does the manufacturer give a reason for all of the cut-outs / holes? My background/profession is in aviation and (as with many other applications including automotive) typically cut-outs are done to achieve weight savings but only in areas where strength and integrity won't be compromised. I guess I can sort of understand the weight saving aspect of these cut-outs...sort of. But, as another poster pointed out, it looks to me like all of those holes would be ideal snag points on rocks. Not to mention, it actually does look like they would compromise the strength of the skid plate. If you do take them out on the rocks, it will be interesting to hear how they hold up. Good luck and keep us posted!

dwvninety

I have a serious question about these skid plates: does the manufacturer give a reason for all of the cut-outs / holes? My background/profession is in aviation and (as with many other applications including automotive) typically cut-outs are done to achieve weight savings but only in areas where strength and integrity won't be compromised. I guess I can sort of understand the weight saving aspect of these cut-outs...sort of. But, as another poster pointed out, it looks to me like all of those holes would be ideal snag points on rocks. Not to mention, it actually does look like they would compromise the strength of the skid plate. If you do take them out on the rocks, it will be interesting to hear how they hold up. Good luck and keep us posted!

The cut-outs are there to save the OP $240 VS the Rockhard.

Lalomoctezuma

Way stronger than rockhard or evo. The westin brackets are made out of 1.5 OD .09 tube. They actually have structural strength if compared to the cheap sheet metal brackets on the other skidplates from rockhard evo etc. and the oil drain window is way better on the westin as well. I also liked that they mount to the frame. No engine vibrations transfer.

dwvninety

Just got a new one

Ahh OK better than Rock Hard or EVO. Since your new here and we don't know anything about you or how you wheel how about introducing yourself and post some information on how you came into your conclusion that it is better? Any pics you can show or experience where Rock Hard or EVO has failed you and these saved you from damage?

WJCO

Meme King
Way stronger than rockhard or evo. The westin brackets are made out of 1.5 OD .09 tube. They actually have structural strength if compared to the cheap sheet metal brackets on the other skidplates from rockhard evo etc. and the oil drain window is way better on the westin as well. I also liked that they mount to the frame. No engine vibrations transfer.

Just got a new one

Your opinion about the strength of your new skid that you haven't even used yet has been noted. Thank you for setting everyone straight. Your conclusion of your purchased products compared to the others is well backed up with a plethora of evidence in your post. Your contribution is unmatched. :thumb:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Great! We will totally take your word since we have no clue who you are and how long you've worked for that company. Anyway instead of running your mouth how about you prove what you stated. Show some proof that you've run and tested the evo and rockhard skids. First I would start with proving that you have actually driven your jeep on something besides a freeway.

Top Bottom