WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

WJCO

Meme King
Ever since I built my air intake, there have been little things I've never been happy with. One of them being that it's been help up with zip ties and anti-rattle foam. The other day I noticed a bolt next to my ABS unit and came up with an idea in my head to use it as a bracket anchor for the intake. So I built this little bracket last night and installed it this morning. 5 dollars worth of steel and about half an hour of time. Simple and hope it works.

0426180459.jpg

0426180830.jpg

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Ever since I built my air intake, there have been little things I've never been happy with. One of them being that it's been help up with zip ties and anti-rattle foam. The other day I noticed a bolt next to my ABS unit and came up with an idea in my head to use it as a bracket anchor for the intake. So I built this little bracket last night and installed it this morning. 5 dollars worth of steel and about half an hour of time. Simple and hope it works.

Looks good!

WJCO

Meme King
Nice... way to think outside the “airbox”. [emoji1417]

Brilliant thinking [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Great job, looks good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Awesome - great job

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Looks good!

Thanks.

How is it working so far?

Haven't driven it yet, but seems like it will work well. It's serving its purpose for now.

WJCO

Meme King
How is it working so far?

Didn't work, lol. Where it's fastened, there is a rubber grommet. So as soon as I started driving, the metal bracket wouldn't stay in place and just pivoted and fell. So I welded on a second leg and secured it below as well. It's solid now.

IMG_20180426_190603_387.jpg

IMG_20180426_190648_687.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
I discovered recently that my rear arb air locker had sprung a leak inside the diff. Removed the cover today and found the issue quickly. The copper tube had separated from the seal housing. Arb took care of it and will be shipping out a new one.

IMG_20180518_163650_761.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
So a few days ago, I bypassed the leaking heater core.

IMG_20180521_200638_664.jpg

Within about 5 minutes, there was a hissing noise and smell of refrigerant. WTF? Turns out my high side AC hose bursted.

IMG_20180521_200618_631.jpg

Not sure if it was just a random coincidence or if I bumped it and disturbed the inner liner, but either way, it wasn't related to the cooling system. However, the overheating issue ive been having is much more noticeable with the AC on so I didn't get to test out the heater core bypass for a few days. So today I got the new hose and installed it and charged the system.

IMG_20180521_200551_958.jpg

And............The Jeep STILL gets hot at idle with the AC on.

So, good news, it's not the heater core. Bad news, it's probably the radiator. But at least I can hook up my heater the right way for the cooler mornings and don't have to pull the dash. Heater core has been leaking for two years and the coolant level barely drops.

WJCO

Meme King
New radiator installed:

IMG_20180527_170120_242.jpg

IMG_20180527_170212_899.jpg

And the problem is still there :grayno:

So I know it's not an airflow problem, I know it's not a coolant flow problem, but for some reason the cooling system cannot remove extra heat from the engine during a load. Only an extra 500rpm, and the temperature drops and all is good again. And this all happened after a water crossing. While I had the radiator out, I shined a flashlight through the condenser and it's perfect. I could read a book on the other side of it.

The only thing left (and it's just a hunch) is that my aftermarket catalytic converter is creating too much back pressure and when I rev up the engine, it breathes more and cools down. I have heard of cats getting messed up after a water crossing and that's exactly when this problem started. Also, the cat was installed shortly before that water run and it's quite a bit smaller than the OEM one. I still have the OEM one, so I'm going to swap it out and hope for the best.

Brute

Hooked
man...your engine bay is going to look brand new pretty soon. I hope it's the cat; not being able to find what the cause to a problem is extremely annoying to myself as well...

Top Bottom