Yoke/knuckle won't fit

jeeeep

Hooked
There's another post where a member had to grind the yokes a little to get clearance from hitting the balljoints. From what i remember the yoke shoulders were too thick.
There should be a number stamping on the axle shaft, you can have Ten Factory confirm if you have the correct shaft.

There's another post where a member had to grind the yokes a little to get clearance from hitting the balljoints. From what i remember the yoke shoulders were too thick.
There should be a number stamping on the axle shaft, you can have Ten Factory confirm if you have the correct shaft.

Great point on the number. 139.... I saw it when I was looking at the splines. I'll have them check that[emoji106].

I wonder if they had a 12' or newer and were running the old style ProSteers. There was a problem there. If I remember right even a problem with old ProSteers and RCV shafts. In my 08, I ran The old style ProSteers and RCV's and there wasn't much clearance on the boots.

YellowJK

We had to do the same thing with my buddies 14. Ten Factory shafts. Wasn't too bad of a fix but still sucked we had to do it.

sassmouth

10factory said to just shave the yokes a little. They hadn't seen this before. I'm thinking it is the knuckle.

I had the exact same issue with the same shafts (also bought through NR) when I was installing them this past August. However for me it was specifically the driver side knuckle. I checked to see if one or both of the new shafts would fit through either knuckle. I found that both of the new shaft yokes fit through the passenger side knuckle without issue and both would not fit through the driver side knuckle.

Instead of shaving the yoke, i used a dremel with a wire brush attachment and removed the rust build-up on the knuckle. After cleaning the rust down to bare metal, the new yoke fit right through.

upnover

I had the same issue you had with my nitro shafts on by 2010. But I rotated the knuckle out of the way because i was changing the BJs at the same time...

I decided to smooth up two sections on my knuckles. One across from the other and try to slide the yokes through. I took off about 2mm on each side. Wiggled a little and got it through. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449895165.226009.jpg

All back together ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449895197.293158.jpg

Enjoy dad....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, just caught up on this thread - what a pain. Glad to see you got it taken care of :thumb:

Thanks Eddie. Yes, a pain. I really think it was the knuckle that had extra material. The ridges behind where the bearing sits were tall and deep. I don't remember the other side being that way. I took emery cloth to it to get rid of the rust before I put it back together. I remember thinking the other side cleaned up faster than the passenger side.

Got it back together. That's all that matters

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie. Yes, a pain. I really think it was the knuckle that had extra material. The ridges behind where the bearing sits were tall and deep. I don't remember the other side being that way. I took emery cloth to it to get rid of the rust before I put it back together. I remember thinking the other side cleaned up faster than the passenger side.

Got it back together. That's all that matters

Yep, that's all that matters. At least you have your Jeep to play in over the weekend :yup:

Top Bottom