California or Bust : An Epic Trek Across the California Emigrant Trail

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am going to see the elephant … but should I plan to carry extra fuel or will it not be necessary? :thinking::idontknow:

Still hammering out the details. There is one stretch that, as is, will be about 280 miles between gas stops - way more than I can do even with extra gas. I'm looking for alternatives that might take us out of the way but will make it possible to do.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Still hammering out the details. There is one stretch that, as is, will be about 280 miles between gas stops - way more than I can do even with extra gas. I'm looking for alternatives that might take us out of the way but will make it possible to do.

Really? What's your approximate range now on a full tank?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Really? What's your approximate range now on a full tank?

On Moby, driving conservatively, maybe 220 - about what we were getting before our LS swap. Of course, this really isn't too bad considering that he now has a v8 and weighs a ton. Either way, I always try to plan around a 200 mile range and less when off roading... Just in case.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
On Moby, driving conservatively, maybe 220 - about what we were getting before our LS swap. Of course, this really isn't too bad considering that he now has a v8 and weighs a ton. Either way, I always try to plan around a 200 mile range and less when off roading... Just in case.

When have you ever driven conservatively? :cheesy:

fancyHippo

main.php

California or Bust : An Epic Trek Across the California Emigrant Trail
It's hard to imagine but, up until the 1830's, there were only a handful of people in America that had been able to successfully make their way to California across what was then only known as, the Great American Desert. Most of these people were trappers, traders and missionaries and it wouldn't be until the 1840's that a more defined route was established by early settlers and given the name, The California Trail. Thanks to the discovery of Gold in 1848, there would ultimately be tens of thousands of people who would make the arduous four month journey that started along the banks of the Missouri River and ended in the goldfields of California. Along the way, they would cover over 2,000 miles, crossing deep rivers, tall mountains and unforgiving deserts and all at a time when there were no roads, no stores, no hospitals, no laws and no second chances.

For a long time now, Cindy and I have been wanting to see if we could retrace the California Trail from beginning to end, as closely as possible to the original route, and as much as possible, all on dirt. Along the way, we would make stops at historical sites, see deep ruts carved into the hillsides from the thousands of wagons that passed through before us and view geological wonders such Chimney Rock, an iconic spire that acted as beacon for travelers making their way across the Platte River Road. And, after two years of research, careful planning and plotting a viable route, I think we're finally ready to give it a go. On June 2, 2014, we will meet up with our friends Carl, Et, Tony, Stephanie, Don, Lori, Ray, Tom and Susan, Ken and Doug in Independence, Missouri and then will spend the next 10 days pushing our way west in our modern prairie schooners and on what we will be calling, The California or Bust WAYALIFE Adventure!

Members of the WAYALIFE Party
Cindy & Eddie (CarsonCindy & wayoflife)
Carl (Moochie)
Et (RanchoRubi)
Tony & Stephanie (JeepFan & GemHunter)
Don & Lori (mcpuck & RascalRubi)
Ray (ramin)
Tom (Strainger) & Susan (Strainger's Heart)
Doug (Trail Bud)
Ken (KenB1010)

For those of you who are interested, I have included a list of all the cities we will be stopping at along the way and when. If you live in the area and have the time, we'd love to meet up with you and if at all possible, share a cold one with you.

Monday, June 2 - Independence, Mo
Tuesday, June 3 - Marysville, KS
Wednesday, June 4 - North Platte, NE
Thursday, June 5 - Scotts Bluff, NE
Friday, June 6 - Casper, WY
Saturday, June 7 - Kemmerer, WY
Sunday, June 8 - Camping, ID
Monday, June 9 - Elko, NV
Tuesday, June 10 - Camping, NV
Wednesday, June 11 - Carson City, NV
Thursday, June 12 - Placerville, CA

We will be sure to post up photos throughout the trip, on this thread and hope that you will follow us along as we make our way west. :cool:

main.php

Independence, MO is 5 minutes from where I live! Where in Independence will you be meeting up? Would love to stop by and say hi. Perhaps grab a beer if there's time.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Independence, MO is 5 minutes from where I live! Where in Independence will you be meeting up? Would love to stop by and say hi. Perhaps grab a beer if there's time.

I'll post up that information as we get closer - it would be good to meet you there :)

Trail Bud

Hooked

I can't really carry a gas can, but should I bring a empty 5 gal can and strap it on the carrier at the right time?
Will we be going fast enough to maybe cause a issue? I don't think it could take a lot of abuse up there.
OR if someone can carry 2 cans bring both emtry and I'll split the cost.
Just some ideas. :twocents:

Getting excited, doing last min preps now. Waiting for my winch to come back from Warn, must install and that's it. :beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lol! I'm reading the kindle version. Lots of great history.

Steph has been busy making emigrant beef stew. She found a great recipe in the Oregon Trail Cookbook.

View attachment 81562

View attachment 81563

WooHoo!! That looks pretty tasty!! :thumb:

I can't really carry a gas can, but should I bring a empty 5 gal can and strap it on the carrier at the right time?
Will we be going fast enough to maybe cause a issue? I don't think it could take a lot of abuse up there.
OR if someone can carry 2 cans bring both emtry and I'll split the cost.
Just some ideas. :twocents:

Getting excited, doing last min preps now. Waiting for my winch to come back from Warn, must install and that's it. :beer:

I think we're going to be okay. I've done more research and found some gas stops along the way that'll make the longest stretch just a hair over 200 miles and about half of that will be downhill. :yup:

Top Bottom