California or Bust : An Epic Trek Across the California Emigrant Trail

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
So has everyone going on this trip picked out your cowboy hat yet? Watch out if you order online some companies take 6+ weeks for delivery and we are only less than 5 weeks out!!!

I think this will do. Don't forget the boots.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 278

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Living up in Carson City, finding the appropriate attire for this trip required very little effort. Just picked up a couple of these made in the USA Stetson hats - Yippie ka Yea!! :thumb:

main.php

Hightower

Living up in Carson City, finding the appropriate attire for this trip required very little effort. Just picked up a couple of these made in the USA Stetson hats - Yippie ka Yea!! :thumb:

main.php

Guys just a little friendly advise for your long trip!

Cowboy superstition

Never change the name of your horse (jeep) because you will get injured on it.

Never lay your hat down Like you set it on your head... All the luck will run out!

Never cross your boots or you might get double crossed

When someone gives you a knife as a gift, always give a penny for it.

When you lend out a knife, make sure it is returned the same way.

Keep a cross on you riding hat, because you never know.

Never walk into a room and throw your hat on the bed or you will be laid up there with an injury soon.

Horseshoes are considered good luck. Hang one over your kitchen door, your barn door, or your garage door. Brings good luck to all who enter. Always hang 'em heels up, less your luck'll run out.

On the subject of horseshoes...never pull the shoes from a dead horse to use on another horse. Bad luck will come to the second horse, too.

On the same vein, never use a dead dog's collar on a new dog. Bad luck will follow.

Safe travels partners!

Driver driver GAS!
WAYALIFE mobile app

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Four short weeks from right now the Jeep will be packed and we will be heading out to the new frontier! :clap2:

I did make the mistake of googling “cowboy thong” to try to post a funny reply :crazyeyes: … and I ended up washing my eyes out with bleach! What a mistake!!!:eek:
(Rascal-Rubi asked “what did you expect”???) :cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you who were wondering, "I Saw the Elephant" was a common expression used by the hundreds of thousands of emigrants who made their way across the California Trail. It's a reference to the enormous size of the challenges, hardships and dangers that were associated with the journey. Here is a plaque and sign from the California Trail Interpretive Center that explains it in detail...
main.php

main.php

Here is a bronze statue that depicts a popular illustration that represents the saying...
main.php

Here are a few shots of what the jump off point in Missouri would have looked like back in the day...
main.php

main.php

JeepFan

Hooked
Four short weeks from right now the Jeep will be packed and we will be heading out to the new frontier! :clap2:

I did make the mistake of googling “cowboy thong” to try to post a funny reply :crazyeyes: … and I ended up washing my eyes out with bleach! What a mistake!!!:eek:
(Rascal-Rubi asked “what did you expect”???) :cheesy:

I bet you would claim you ordered a "cowboy thong" for yourself by mistake as well... :cheesy:

Last edited:

Trail Bud

Hooked
For those of you who were wondering, "I Saw the Elephant" was a common expression used by the hundreds of thousands of emigrants who made their way across the California Trail. It's a reference to the enormous size of the challenges, hardships and dangers that were associated with the journey. Here is a plaque and sign from the California Trail Interpretive Center that explains it in detail...

Ok now I understand.
I thought we were going to have to drink a kool aid punch mix. :)

I bet you would claim you ordered a "cowboy thong" for yourself by mistake as well... :cheesy:

I believe I googled "cowboy boot FlipFlops when I found that pic. It's best to not get too descriptive with google or you'll get visually violated, lmao

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
I am going to see the elephant … but should I plan to carry extra fuel or will it not be necessary? :thinking::idontknow:

Top Bottom