The build/re-build of Gruff

Ddays

Hooked
Here's a shot of it before install. I got mine from Northridge last August. They did the bracket install.

axle 1.jpg

Benito

Caught the Bug
I apologize man - I didn't see your post until tonight - hopefully these help? If you are looking for something specific let me know!

View attachment 190931

View attachment 190932

View attachment 190933

View attachment 190934

View attachment 190935

View attachment 190936

View attachment 190937

Thanks Ddays, those will help out a lot!, i see that you have what appears to be the synergy trackbar bracket. the raised trackbar bracket from dynatrac has slightly less surface area to weld the PSC tabs on but it looks like it will all come together, a bit tight though.

Ddays

Hooked
Thanks Ddays, those will help out a lot!, i see that you have what appears to be the synergy trackbar bracket. the raised trackbar bracket from dynatrac has slightly less surface area to weld the PSC tabs on but it looks like it will all come together, a bit tight though.

Good luck with install. So far I'm really happy with the on-road handling. Tightened the response up a lot but its not twitchy. Can't wait to get out on a trail...

Ddays

Hooked
Fender chop

Took my Bushwacker flats off and mounted the factory flares back up. After looking at roughly 2 million fender chop photos I decided to just get the roll of tape out & see what looked good.
Here's what I ended up with:

chop 1.jpg

chop 2.jpg

chop 3.jpg

chop 4.jpg

chop 5.jpg

chop 6.jpg

chop 7.jpg

I love these little Eagle Eyes - threw in a couple yellow ones for side marker lights. These fit in the existing hole in the fender with no additional drilling. Very bright too.

side marker 1.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
New Tars

I was a day away from ordering a set of Terra Graps and then Eddie posted up the thread on buying new Cooper tires for Rubicat. SOLD! I stopped in my local garage to get a price and ordered a set of 5 on the spot.
Cooper Discoverer STT 37x13.50R17 @ $315 ea.

tires 1.jpg

tires 2.jpg

tires 3.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Can't wait to see those wheels and tires mounted up.

Me too! Was gonna try to get em mounted up this weekend but still haven't had the chance to put the Sharkhide coating on the wheels yet.
If I can get the garage warm enough I may try anyways....

Those wheels and tires look sick!

Thanks man - I love these tires! Glad Eddie posted his thread on these when he did - I was literally a day away from getting a set of Trail Grapplers (not that that would have sucked mind you)
I love the polished aluminum.

Ddays

Hooked
Sharkhide!

So originally I was going to wait til it got warmer out to apply the Sharkhide to my wheels but after reading the instructions (yes, I know...) they say that this stuff can be applied in temperatures between 20-100 degrees, BUT, it specifically states the colder the better. So being that its 25 degrees tonight, I figured that's plenty cold enough. Bonus is that the new case of beer I bought a couple days ago is out next to the wheels!

Alesmith.jpg

Let's see...how many beers does it take to coat 5 wheels with Sharkhide?

sh 0.jpg

One....

sh 1.jpg

Two and three are in there somewhere...

sh 2.jpg

Four was after I looked in this box to see how many of these bolts I get to torque down tomorrow...
Bought the economy size bottle of anti-sieze too. Time to watch the video of Mel installing these beadlocks a couple times and
get the tires mounted up tomorrow...

sh 3.jpg

JKbrick

How does/did the shark hide product go on? Do you buff it off after putting it on or does it soak into the aluminum? 1 or 2 coats? Going with those wheels eventually is why I asked

Ddays

Hooked
How does/did the shark hide product go on? Do you buff it off after putting it on or does it soak into the aluminum? 1 or 2 coats? Going with those wheels eventually is why I asked

Really, it was a very simple application. I wiped the wheels down with lacquer thinner and then wiped the sharkhide on. No buffing. I did use a brush to apply it to the openings in the wheels as it was easier to reach into them that way. I then applied to the rest of the wheel with an old lint free rag. They say diaper but anything with little lint will work just fine.

Edit: it doesn't say anything about more than one coat. It states on the label that one coat will last for a couple years. I'll probably just go with one coat & see how it wears.

Last edited:

JKbrick

Really, it was a very simple application. I wiped the wheels down with lacquer thinner and then wiped the sharkhide on. No buffing. I did use a brush to apply it to the openings in the wheels as it was easier to reach into them that way. I then applied to the rest of the wheel with an old lint free rag. They say diaper but anything with little lint will work just fine.

Edit: it doesn't say anything about more than one coat. It states on the label that one coat will last for a couple years. I'll probably just go with one coat & see how it wears.

It sure looks good, someday I'll get there but I'm too much of a tight ass to buy anything till my tires wear out which is hard to do when it only got 1600 miles on it last year

Ddays

Hooked
It sure looks good, someday I'll get there but I'm too much of a tight ass to buy anything till my tires wear out which is hard to do when it only got 1600 miles on it last year

Thanks and I hear ya. My problem is that I am an impatient SOB. I got such a great deal on those tires ($315 a piece!) that I just went ahead and got them.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
First up is the new bumper. Full Metal Fabworks Apex Pinnacle and a set of JW Speaker fogs. Too bad Truck-Lite hasn't come out with a fog yet.

First remove Smittybilt SRC bumper the dealership replaced after the wreck.

View attachment 170405

View attachment 170406

Relocated vacuum pump with bracket from FMF. Similar to the Teraflex bracket. Not sure I am going to leave this here. Going back and forth on where to mount my compressor. Where this is or under the passenger seat....

View attachment 170407

Had to cut small ear off of the pump mounting bracket.

View attachment 170408

All painted up. Used paint from SEM - Trim Black. We'll see how it holds up this winter

View attachment 170409

New Jdubs

View attachment 170410

Nice craftsmanship

View attachment 170411

Finished!
View attachment 170414

I seriously like this bumper, rethinking the evo now. Where did you get it, straight from FMF?

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
I seriously like this bumper, rethinking the evo now. Where did you get it, straight from FMF?

Yessir - nice guy to deal with too! I liked the Evo bumper but I just wanted something a little different. There's a couple other guys here running this bumper. I know AllAmericanInfidel is but not sure of the others. The trimming required is minor. Glad I got this one.

Ddays

Hooked
Wheel mounting

Watched Mels video twice then went out & gave it a go. First attempt didn't end well. Was having trouble getting the ring to tighten down onto the wheel and there was a large gap. Took it back apart soaped it up good and went around in a circle gradually torquing the bolts. That did the trick. I'm not pit crew material but I know how to do it now!

Getting to this step shown below with the wheel assembly was the most difficult. Watching Mel, he is able to get the wheel to go right into the tire with little drama. Granted, he's done hundreds of these but I was literally jumping on mine. Chasing the bead around in a circle with the two screwdrivers trying to get it to seat was frustrating, but the second one went pretty eassily.

wh1.jpg

I made up a short air hose with a remote valve to air up the first time.

wh2.jpg

So I was able to get two done this afternoon. Not bad. The first one I did was a learning experience. The second one only took an hour or so. Got both aired up to 40 psi. Will check in the AM & hopefully find they both held that pressure!

wh3.jpg

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Yessir - nice guy to deal with too! I liked the Evo bumper but I just wanted something a little different. There's a couple other guys here running this bumper. I know AllAmericanInfidel is but not sure of the others. The trimming required is minor. Glad I got this one.

Thanks for the follow up. Your build looks really nice, I'll be tuned in going forward.

Top Bottom