Upgrading to the next level RDE2ROK

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Sloooooooooow! The shop is slammed with work, short one mech/welder and a handful of Baseball players paying big $$$ to get their jeeps done before spring training is over. So my jeep gets put aside!:doh: we had a little conversation about that!!!:mad: hopefully updates this weekend! :beer:

Damn that sucks man. Hopefully some progress is made soon.

RDE2ROK

So 14" Coilovers are not going to work on the rear. I will be using 12" instead. The shock is mounted on top of the axle tube (4" tube) so I will still get plenty of up & down travel with no brackets hanging below the axle. Pics below are at full extension and collapse.
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

Now that we know where we stand it can all get welded up!:yup:
The whole idea is to keep the Center Of Gravity low, yet get full articulation. :rock:

RDE2ROK

:fingerscrossed: So I think we solved the 14" Coilover problem! I will know Fri for sure.:fingerscrossed:

RDE2ROK

Hopefully this solves the 14" Coilover problem! On the right is the biggest Artec has to offer 16", on the left I found some 21" towers in Canada!
image.jpg image.jpg

I will follow up with some pics tomorrow.:thumb:

RDE2ROK

Those should work, were you trying not to cut into the tub?

Oh no, we cut into the tub! One of the problems we ran into was with the stretch, the towers came up just under the roll bar ( where it's welded to the wheel well) but I think we have enough room to go up 2 to 3". The other issue was the top of the pumpkin with the arm assys on top, was within 1" from the Xmember. It's all about maximum up & down travel without hitting or rubbing on anything! I'm just glad we were able to work the 14s back in.:rock:

JLE21

Sweet! Glad you could stick with the plan and run 14s it's going to be sick!. :beer: I actually ended up using those same Canadian towers, I did have to trim them a bit for my application though but still taller than anything else i could find.

RDE2ROK

Sweet! Glad you could stick with the plan and run 14s it's going to be sick!. :beer: I actually ended up using those same Canadian towers, I did have to trim them a bit for my application though but still taller than anything else i could find.

It's better to have them longer and trim for a nicer fit than to start scabing in pieces like we started to do and still not be right! image.jpg

RDE2ROK

Some major cutting & fabbing to get these guys to fit just right! Had to go all the way through the frame.
Rear arms & wheels going in to powdercoat.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Toyo 40s!:rock:
image.jpg image.jpg

RDE2ROK

Looks like fun, outboard coilovers in the rear are some major work. Sweet rubber!

Yes it is, it's taking a lot longer than I expected but he is doing a great job.:thumb: Not only was the 14" length an issue, but the 2.5 diameter is a lot bigger with the coils on. :yup:

Top Bottom