Any experience with metal cloak??

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
You said they have been known to break. Meaning more than one. Id like to see which ones have broke other than the one where Dirtman dropped off onto a rock with,which snapped at the weld.

Yes, it was that guy. As much I think he's a jerk, he does kinda know some stuff. I don't agree with everything he says and concepts, but he even said they weren't any good and going with a different joint. I have zero experience with them. But much like any other product that I see fail, like teraflex tire carrier, I wouldn't waste my money.

Attachments

• 1396391645359.jpg
    1396391645359.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 210
  • 1396391655695.jpg
    1396391655695.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

36Fan

Okay, I just found the pics on the interweb. I'll change my search and do some more looking.

I believe the consensus was he backed up and the jeep slid off onto a rock and snapped it at the weld. Thats a tough one to call, theres a lot of weight thrown at the CA at once if thats indeed what happened. Im curious to see if more have snapped at the welds, so far I haven't seen any.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it was that guy. As much I think he's a jerk, he does kinda know some stuff. I don't agree with everything he says and concepts, but he even said they weren't any good and going with a different joint. I have zero experience with them. But much like any other product that I see fail, like teraflex tire carrier, I wouldn't waste my money.

Holy cow!! :shock: Bet he doesn't have any bind in his joint now :crazyeyes:

36Fan

Yes, it was that guy. As much I think he's a jerk, he does kinda know some stuff. I don't agree with everything he says it concepts, but he even said they weren't any good and going with a different joint. I have zero experience with them. But much like any other product that I see fail, like teraflex tire carrier, I wouldn't waste my money.

He can be very forward in his posts,doesn't really bother me. But he does have some great tech input,that I read into. I have talked to him about chassis geometry and set ups,more so to get a second opinion on my own thoughts.

I think the MC stuff has a place in the market,where is up to the buyer really. For the average guy it will work fine and maybe even better than most due to the softer bushing and noise transfer. For the hardcore wheeler, it has its time limit for sure,but still better off than the stock bushings imo.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the consensus was he backed up and the jeep slid off onto a rock and snapped it at the weld. Thats a tough one to call, theres a lot of weight thrown at the CA at once if thats indeed what happened. Im curious to see if more have snapped at the welds, so far I haven't seen any.

In all fairness, these are brand new joints and there really aren't too many people out there running them let alone abusing them. Give it some time and I'd be willing to bet we'll see more.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess be careful around rocks with these rod ends.

To be clear, these are not "rod ends". Rod ends are like massive heims or uniballs. Of all the joints you can run, rod ends will offer the greatest amount of rotation with zero bind or effort. :yup:

EDIT: this is an FK rod end...

main.php

I think the MC stuff has a place in the market,where is up to the buyer really. For the average guy it will work fine and maybe even better than most due to the softer bushing and noise transfer.

Actually, the physical amount of rubber between the sphere and the joint housing is relatively small by comparison to a factory Clevite bushing. There is no way the noise absorption can be remotely as good.

For the hardcore wheeler, it has its time limit for sure,but still better off than the stock bushings imo.

I've had the opportunity to do some joint testing with Off Road Evolution and were surprised at how well the factory Clevite bushings worked. Yes, they do have more bind but not really enough to matter for the average guy running a basic spring lift. Hell, with the exception of adjustable front lowers, I know plenty of guys running EVO bolt-on coil overs with factory arms and they still get a ton of flex. :yup:

36Fan

In all fairness, these are brand new joints and there really aren't too many people out there running them let alone abusing them. Give it some time and I'd be willing to bet we'll see more.

I have no doubt there will be more over the years,but most likely not from the market MC is after....the weekend warrior/daily driver guy. And I'm only assuming thats their market target. I could be wrong on the assumption, but I cant see them trying to compete with Currie or a rod end/heim for the hardcore wheelers. who knows.

36Fan

Actually, the physical amount of rubber between the sphere and the joint housing is relatively small by comparison to a factory Clevite bushing. There is no way the noise absorption can be remotely as good.

Sorry. I was comparing them to other joints such as RK,JJ and even more so rod ends. To me,the MC is a high tech fused clevite bushing no more no less. I would try them but I cant seem to get passed that horrible gold color.:twocents:

Rottenbelly

Ive been running the MC control arms for about a year and a half or more. Lots of trips to many off road parks from alabama, Missouri, Arkansas and I wheel in southern Utah every other day since I live 10 minutes from some great areas.
Over 20k miles on them in between.
Mine are holding up fine. Dirtman is the first one I heard of thats broken.

And bushing on them are reasonably priced if I need to replace them.

Last edited:

GENREC

Highly interested in the 2.5 Duroflex kit for my 2014 JKU Sport. Question for guys running MC for some time. What exactly is the gold color, a paint, anodizing, powdercoat, or something else, how long does it hold that color for? I'm in SoCal, so I don't have a real harsh climate to contend with, but wondering how stout that gold color is. I also really like the idea behind the duroflex joint especially as a DD, for noise and dampening, can anyone tell me otherwise, why I would not want MC and go with my first choice since doing my homework of RK?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Highly interested in the 2.5 Duroflex kit for my 2014 JKU Sport. Question for guys running MC for some time. What exactly is the gold color, a paint, anodizing, powdercoat, or something else, how long does it hold that color for? I'm in SoCal, so I don't have a real harsh climate to contend with, but wondering how stout that gold color is. I also really like the idea behind the duroflex joint especially as a DD, for noise and dampening, can anyone tell me otherwise, why I would not want MC and go with my first choice since doing my homework of RK?

My advice is save your money on mc. I'd get something with the proven Johnny joint and don't believe mc and their infomercials.

Lol. That looks like my jeep. I haven't had any problems with their arms or joints and I do abuse my jeep, but like Eddie said they are a fairly new product with no real miles on them. I actually liked the way there coils rode, but if I had to go back I would have saved my money and got coil overs a lot sooner with Evo arms. I would save your money if I was you and get a proven product. Only thing I have left from the metalcloak lift it there arms. You can see in this pic what I did to their tie rod.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

meep97

I believe it's a zinc coating as found on grade 8 fasteners.

15,000 miles on my front lower arms and have not had a problem.

bkac

Caught the Bug
At least the night the metaljoke tierod smiled us we all got quite the laugh out of it. Good times, great memories, and lots of what not to do's in the future for a lot of us.

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom