aTX's Tru WW Evo bolt on coilover build

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Been following but wanted to wait til' you got it together. Looks awesome and really like the aluminum bumpers.

aTX427

Thanks. I am a huge proponent of minimizing weight and Evo is the only mfg I am aware of that produces a 100% aluminum front bumper.

Last edited:

aTX427

I really wanted aluminum links, but had some 2x2x.250 laying around, so I welded up some front lowers and rear upper control arms. The welds are not the prettiest, but these things are beef!

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I really wanted aluminum links, but had some 2x2x.250 laying around, so I welded up some front lowers and rear upper control arms. The welds are not the prettiest, but these things are beef!

Way cool that you made your own links. Nice job :thumb:

aTX427

Thank you. I know I will eventually upgrade to long arms and can reuse the Johnny Joints. I specifically ordered the "narrow" width JJ's, which provide an extra 5* of articulation over the standard JJ.

Last edited:

aTX427

It looks like Evo supplies spherical bearings with high misalignment spacers on their front upper frame side long arm control arm's. Is that correct?

Rb1boxer_3

Nice build I thought about making my own arms too but I want long arms so don't wanna buy twice. Also I saw you don't have c gussets I hope you ordered some, or do you plan on changing the axle any time soon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

aTX427

Thank you. I want to long arm as well. My plan is to have aluminum links fabricated and reuse the Johnny Joints when the time comes. I haven't decided what I want to do about axles yet, but have my eye on a set of full floating 1-tons from Dynatrac.

Last edited:

aTX427

Also had some DIC lights come on that I need some help with. My code reader doesn't show any error codes.

Last edited:

Rb1boxer_3

Luckily I didn't drive 3.5hrs out to Hidden Falls this morning. I installed my new contol arms and decided to go to a little test bed about 5 miles from my house to check for clearances. Rolled up on a wall, bounced off and bang - this happens. Of course I left my wallet and phone at the house. Just to go test something - what's the worst that can happen. Needless to say, I got my workout in jogging 5 miles home in 93* heat wearing flip flops. The weld looked good, but it must not have penetrated the DOM. Luckily I wasn't 3.5hrs away or even worse somewhere if the middle of nowhere Colorado.

Ouch damn that's crazy. What arm is that front lower. And your abs lights so maybe your steering wheel is off or your speed control sensor is broken. Idk.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Wow. Crazy. So you have about 100k on that weld before it broke? Or that's a new weld? Just makes me want to check over mine to be safe. As far as the lights, they may be related to the tie rod break. Get a new one on, center the steering wheel and recheck.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Luckily I didn't drive 3.5hrs out to Hidden Falls this morning. I installed my new contol arms and decided to go to a little test bed about 5 miles from my house to check for clearances. Rolled up on a wall, bounced off and bang - this happens. Of course I left my wallet and phone at the house. Just to go test something - what's the worst that can happen. Needless to say, I got my workout in jogging 5 miles home in 93* heat wearing flip flops. The weld looked good, but it must not have penetrated the DOM. Luckily I wasn't 3.5hrs away or even worse somewhere if the middle of nowhere Colorado.

Holy shit, you lucky it didn't happen on the highway. I am checking mine tomorrow before a leave for a 2 hr drive to the off-road park.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

aTX427

Wow. Crazy. So you have about 100k on that weld before it broke? Or that's a new weld? Just makes me want to check over mine to be safe. As far as the lights, they may be related to the tie rod break. Get a new one on, center the steering wheel and recheck.

Yes, I know right. On Monday, I'll order a solid 7075 aluminum tie rod and drag link. I'm also going to cut these ends off an weld on new ones. I'm interested is examining a cross section of the weld.

Last edited:

aTX427

I ordered some custom 1.25" spacers with a 71.5mm to 84mm hub centricity machined into them for my Level 8 Bully Pro's. This should reduce some tolerance stack.

Top Bottom