Beadlocks?

deadguy

How many run beadlocks on the road? We drive our Jeep on the road more than the trails! Any concerns or just legal BS?
Just make sure you keep up with the Torquing intervals recommended by the manufacturer and you should be fine. I run mine on the road with no problems

Sent from a guy with a jeep

tdougherty81

That and they leak. At least, that's what I've seen. Love the look of them but would hate to have to run spacers to make them work and fill them up with air once a week.

I haven't had an issue with them leaking. I was worried about that too specially since I disabled my TPMS but they have been holding steady every time I check.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't had an issue with them leaking. I was worried about that too specially since I disabled my TPMS but they have been holding steady every time I check.

Wow, glad to hear you aren't having any problems. I've seriously considered them in the past but everyone I knew with them had major leak issues.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I helped my friend install a set of those, wow it was a royal pain. I think his other shop guy ended up cutting the o-ring which made it even worse. Cool idea with the inner bead thing but I would never want a set of them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I helped my friend install a set of those, wow it was a royal pain. I think his other shop guy ended up cutting the o-ring which made it even worse. Cool idea with the inner bead thing but I would never want a set of them.

But you do have to admit they do look cool. :crazyeyes:

tdougherty81

I thought they were fairly easy but I have absolutely nothing to compare. Only beadlocks I have messed with besides HUMVVV beadlocks which were essentially the same thing.

jkris

The military uses the same rubber ring setup for the HMMV. I had to mount them a number of times because the mechanics hated doing them. Spending hours beating those thick rubber rings into tires with a sledge and a pry bar was not my idea of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
The military uses the same rubber ring setup for the HMMV. I had to mount them a number of times because the mechanics hated doing them. Spending hours beating those thick rubber rings into tires with a sledge and a pry bar was not my idea of fun.

Idk about the rubber ring but Trail Worthy Fab sells them with a PVC insert. I have zero experience with them but what I've seen on videos is the easiest way to install the PVC insert is to put it in the tire standing up and then step on it to get it to pop into the tire and then spin it. Does that make since?

Again I have zero experience with their wheels. But I keep looking at them for a set for my burban and possibly another vehicle thing I'm workin on. I still think I would probably just get some Slabs for the jeep.

jkris

Idk about the rubber ring but Trail Worthy Fab sells them with a PVC insert. I have zero experience with them but what I've seen on videos is the easiest way to install the PVC insert is to put it in the tire standing up and then step on it to get it to pop into the tire and then spin it. Does that make since?

Again I have zero experience with their wheels. But I keep looking at them for a set for my burban and possibly another vehicle thing I'm workin on. I still think I would probably just get some Slabs for the jeep.

The rubber rings I am talking about are very similar to the Hutchinson ones. They are substantially thick, don't flex hardly, and are slightly thicker than the tire bead area (mind you these are 37x16.5 wranglers) so they can't just pop in. As I have no experience with the Hutchinson's, I can't for sure say how thick they are or aren't. But the idea with that spacer is that the inside and outside bead of the tire is clamped down so you can air down without losing your bead... or the theory goes...
And if they were pliable I just don't see this working well.

tdougherty81

The Rock Monster inserts are not as bad. They are thick but do flex a bit more. Easiest way I found to install them was put the insert in the tire 1st then put inner wheel on with soapy water. Line everything up and throw on the outer wheel.

71185-add2.jpg

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
The rubber rings I am talking about are very similar to the Hutchinson ones. They are substantially thick, don't flex hardly, and are slightly thicker than the tire bead area (mind you these are 37x16.5 wranglers) so they can't just pop in. As I have no experience with the Hutchinson's, I can't for sure say how thick they are or aren't. But the idea with that spacer is that the inside and outside bead of the tire is clamped down so you can air down without losing your bead... or the theory goes...
And if they were pliable I just don't see this working well.

Idk how the Hutchinson ones work but here's a few pics of kind of what I mean on the others.

IMG_3834.jpg

Just place like so and step it in. Of the videos I've watched it seems fairly easy.

IMG_3835.jpg

Then it will look like this and you just roll it so it's properly oriented in the tire. Then assemble the rim pieces together.

Edit to add: not my pics. Took them off the internet.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have to ask because they were not even mentioned. Are the Mopar beadlocks junk?

No, they're actually pretty nice. They do have a lot of back spacing and that can be a problem for some depending on the tire size they run.

Top Bottom