Beadlocks?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Heh, what can I say? I'm super happy with them. Got about 3000 miles on them now since that photo. No issues.

I believe tgoss was referring to the fact that you're "ben" from the shop prominently displayed on your Jeep.

Please click on the links below and review the rules you were required to agree to in order to become a member of this forum:
http://wayalife.com/faq.php?faq=wayaliferules#faq_rules
http://wayalife.com/faq.php?faq=wayaliferules#faq_vendors

ben@badassjeeps

I believe tgoss was referring to the fact that you're "ben" from the shop prominently displayed on your Jeep.

Please click on the links below and review the rules you were required to agree to in order to become a member of this forum:
http://wayalife.com/faq.php?faq=wayaliferules#faq_rules
http://wayalife.com/faq.php?faq=wayaliferules#faq_vendors

Oh! Hah, sorry for the misunderstanding. No, that's not my shop, I don't sell tires. I'm a teacher in fact. Not so sure i deserved the name calling either; way to make a guy feel welcome on his first post... but I've edited my post. Hope this is better!

Thanks.

Last edited:

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Oh! Hah, sorry for the misunderstanding. No, that's not my shop, I don't sell tires. I'm a teacher in fact. Not so sure i deserved the name calling either; way to make a guy feel welcome on his first post... but I've edited my post. Hope this is better!

Thanks.

They are referring to the sticker on the bonnet matching your username. It looks like your trying represent a business on here which is against the rules

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
A steel wheels a center welded in place. A good and proper weld is strong as the metal it's attached to. I'm not saying go buy a welder at Harbor Freight and weld up a set of beadlocks. If I was going to drive mine on the road with beadlocks or when I did drive mine I have Trail Readys and wouldn't do DIY. By the time you buy wheels, the kit and have them welded you not too far from a good set of wheels and the set I know that gets dd duty never had got them to balance perfect but they do drive nice. I only have a diy spare because I bought my TR's used and they don't make my wheel anymore.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app
First, how do you know the person welding is putting in a perfect weld without an x-ray or sonic testing. Second, heat will deform the metal being welded, and will throw the balance off, and that's where high speeds of daily driving will cause vibrations that you don't want.

jeeeep

Hooked
I thought the Mopar beadlocks were being discontinued? Is this not true? I was excited about trying to get a set until I heard this.

I thought it was only the older ones but it looks like Mopar has removed the ones they introduced at EJS from their performance catalog :thinking:

Ausjeep113

I ran a set of steel diy beadlocks with 1/4" ring on my last jeep for roughly four years. They were impossible to balance. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who street drives their jeep regularly. The creeper locks have only been on the jeep for a few months now, but i like them so far. Smooth as glass at highway speeds and seem to do their part on the trail when i'm headed to the mall.:rock:

Thanks mate, I know what some of my tax return is going to this year [emoji1305]

KYRubi

My fabricator made a set of steel beadlocks for me. They performed extremely well off road, but as others have mentioned, it just wasn't possible to balance them. It was also too stressful having them on the street worrying about what might happen, so I have a set of street wheels and tires too. However, switching 37" tires and wheels back and forth sucks.

I'm currently waiting on my B.A.D. wheels. A company in Colorado has bought them and they are being made again. I'm looking forward to a single set of tires and wheels that is good for DD and the trail. I'll let you all know what I think of them once they're installed. They should ship out this week, so it shouldn't be long before I can give an on road review. I still have to upgrade my steering which is starting to go south, so the offroad review will have to wait until that upgrade is completed.

KYRubi

Umm. How difficult is it to put together, can the tires be balanced, does the combination ride well, does it leak, how well does the built in rapid deflation system work, does it hold the bead when aired down, etc...

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I was always curious about those BAD wheels, but in the end I with Walker Evans which were great but wanted a different look and got a good deal on some gently used Slabs. Daily driver for 3+ years on the slabs and never had an issue.

Blackhawkip

No, they're actually pretty nice. They do have a lot of back spacing and that can be a problem for some depending on the tire size they run.

Just found this thread. The MOPAR beadlocks show a 4.4" backspace, would running Cooper 37x13.5 SST Pros have an issue with rubbing without spacers (no coilovers)? I currently run spacers on AEV wheels but those wheels are a 5.2" backspace.

KYRubi

Forgot about this thread. I've been running the B.A.D. Wheels beadlocks for a while now, so here's my quick review:

The Good:
Very hefty wheel. I'd be really impressed if someone manages to break one.
Internal bead assist devices work very well.
Integrated deflators work quickly.
Extremely low maintenance without dozens of external bolts to check.
10" wide wheel with 3.5" backspacing gives plenty of room to run 13.5" wide tires.
Balanced very easily with beads and great ride.
Look great and the sacrificial rock rings can be anodized or powder coated in your choice of colors.
Manufacturer was responsive and easy to work with.

The Bad:
Very hefty wheel. Weighs about 50 pounds with the sacrificial rock rings.
Internal bead assist devices are difficult to install with stiff sidewalls on new heavy duty tires.
Integrated deflators will allow a jerk to give you 4 flat tires in a couple minutes.
10" wide and 3.5" backspacing gives you a bad scrub radius and extra wear and tear on ball joints, hub unit bearings, etc.
Couldn't be balanced on machine because they wouldn't fit so we threw in some beads.
Sacrificial rock rings are an extra cost.
Took a little while for assembly, powder coating, and shipping.

Overall:
I really like them. They look and perform great. For me, the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

F97F5F5C-6945-46DE-848A-FA7F8439EAB4_zps7snh27ij.jpg

tgoss

Just found this thread. The MOPAR beadlocks show a 4.4" backspace, would running Cooper 37x13.5 SST Pros have an issue with rubbing without spacers (no coilovers)? I currently run spacers on AEV wheels but those wheels are a 5.2" backspace.

Yes most likely at full lock you're going to get some rubbing up front and out back the rear sway bar links will likely be an issue with that high of backspacing rubbing against the tire no matter which way you install them.

Top Bottom