California crackdown on light bars??

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
From what was posted.......As long as the light that is emitted is not amber, red or blue you're not in violation......as for the location you're fine as well.......the only thing that you would need to be compliant is an opaque hood or cover when driven upon highway......Florida Law I believe is similar to the first statute but not sure about the second one requiring a hood or cover......I haven't been stopped for my 50" as of yet but I drive like an old lady so that may be why......

~Woodrow~

I do not think that was the point....
But I have been wrong many times, lol

" laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt"
Publius Tacitus

I know this wasn't the point of the thread. Just trying to shed some info for you guys it might come in handy...

tobias lopez

It is a correctable violation so as long as you can cover it the ticket or notice to correct can be signed off...

A correctable violation (fix it tickets) always have a fee, 25 to 50 bucks( I haven't had one in a while). A warning (which is not a FIXIT ticket) is just that a warning. It has no fine and does not need to be signed.

Please let me know if I am wrong?

From what was posted.......As long as the light that is emitted is not amber, red or blue you're not in violation......as for the location you're fine as well.......the only thing that you would need to be compliant is an opaque hood or cover when driven upon highway......Florida Law I believe is similar to the first statute but not sure about the second one requiring a hood or cover......I haven't been stopped for my 50" as of yet but I drive like an old lady so that may be why......

~Woodrow~

Woody this is the same state that elected the same governor 4 times and is still broke. Oh and would rather keep farmers from getting water for crops because of a the Delta Smelt. Oh and the one who will not let the Department of Forestry do control burns to prevent wild fires. This does not surprise me at all.

A correctable violation (fix it tickets) always have a fee, 25 to 50 bucks( I haven't had one in a while). A warning (which is not a FIXIT ticket) is just that a warning. It has no fine and does not need to be signed.

Please let me know if I am wrong?

Yes you are wrong.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
They create laws to be able to collect monies from the violators even if they are incredibly petty in nature.......legalized extortion is all that it is.......I'll have to remember to bring my hood/cover when I come out to California.....smh:grayno:

~Woodrow~

They create laws to be able to collect monies from the violators even if they are incredibly petty in nature.......legalized extortion is all that it is.......I'll have to remember to bring my hood/cover when I come out to California.....smh:grayno:

~Woodrow~

You should be good because you are from out of state and claim ignorance. Works for me. Actually the police will not pull you over just for the lights. They will however find a reason to pull you over and then give you the fix it ticket.

Depending on agency, state or Officer's discretion.

A "notice to correct violation" may be issued. It looks like a ticket and has a similar process in which you have to go about getting it signed off. The difference is that there is no processing fee as long as you show correction within the time stipulated (usually 30 days).

Again this is all a case by case bases depending on state, officer and department.
Heck some departments charge just to sign tickets off in addition to the processing fee.

tobias lopez

Depending on agency, state or Officer's discretion.

A "notice to correct violation" may be issued. It looks like a ticket and has a similar process in which you have to go about getting it signed off. The difference is that there is no processing fee as long as you show correction within the time stipulated (usually 30 days).

Again this is all a case by case bases depending on state, officer and department.
Heck some departments charge just to sign tickets off in addition to the processing fee.

Intresting, so a "notice to correct violation" is a fix it ticket with no processing fee? In cali??? lol. I never had a fix it ticket or "notice to correct violation" that didn't have a processing fee. But that's just me I guess the citing officers didn't take to kindly to me.

MTG

Caught the Bug
This isn't news. Been this way for a while. I have covers for my Rigid lights for the sole purpose of driving in California. Same with mud flaps. Move along people...

Fridge81

I am from AZ and currently live in the little dusty desert town of Imperial, CA. There is major offroad history in this little town and you are not cool unless you have a light bar. Prerunners are everywhere as are jeeps with light bars. Offroad is a way of life in this small town/area. CHP has a station right off the main drag and their presence is non stop. I believe this is totally a county/officer/case by case issue. Cops don't mind here, unless you're being a Jackass.

Woody this is the same state that elected the same governor 4 times and is still broke. Oh and would rather keep farmers from getting water for crops because of a the Delta Smelt. Oh and the one who will not let the Department of Forestry do control burns to prevent wild fires. This does not surprise me at all.

Hey! Whoa! About that governor thing.. We didn't have a choice, he kept saying "I'll be back".

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Texas Texas Texas Texas Texas.[/QUOTE}

I left the People's Republik of Commefornia and won't look back. No more jackass firearms laws and idiotic vehicle/emissions laws. For those who aren't tied to Jobs and like a lil' bit of real freedom, they should pack up and move to the United States. Watching Californians claim that their state is great is like watching frogs boil slowly by turning up the heat bit-by-bit... or someone die from a thousand papercuts. When will everyone realize that they traded all their freedoms for some nice weather and high housing prices.

Last edited:
Top Bottom