Do Yourself a Favor - Regear Your 2012-Up JK!!

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
It does make a difference and, in case it was missed by me, we have an auto. If you have a manual, you may not need as high of a ratio but, you would still want to regear. Chris at Off Road Evolution has a 2013 with a manual, 4.10 gears and running 37's and was having a hell of a time trying to keep up with us on the JK-Experience.

True story, I fell back at least a mile. Evo chase truck hauling a jeep had to slow down.

It stayed in 4th gear and was still to slow. 3rd gear was at the rev limiter
REGEAR is top on my list. Just need to get a pr44 first!

JKWrang

I'm getting the feeling that if I intend to run 33x12.50 on the 3.6 with 3.21 I'm ok. So no 35s for meeeeee

Sent from my phone while I should probably be getting work done

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Thank you for posting this eddie, now I just need to convince myself to save up for this finally. I have a '12 6 speed running 37s so would the 4.88 be better or the 5.13? I know on the charts they are very close

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I'm getting the feeling that if I intend to run 33x12.50 on the 3.6 with 3.21 I'm ok. So no 35s for meeeeee

No way. I ran that on my current rig and its painful on even the slightest incline. 5th is basically useless.

Well we got to thank the Stock EVO Lander

main.php

When we bought our 2012 Jeep JK Wrangler, we had always planned to upgrade it's axles to a set of Dynatrac ProRock 60's. Of course, being that money doesn't grow on trees, we decided to use the time until we could afford the upgrade to extensively test just how well a set of 37" tires would do with the new 3.6L Pentastar motor running factory 4.10 gears. For almost 2 years, we took our Jeep just about everywhere we could, driving it to and from the trail, on the highway and around town, up and over mountains, hard and fast through the Mojave Desert, up and over steep ledges in Moab and, crawling it over big rocks on trails like the Rubicon. And, after racking up over 45,000 miles on the odometer, what I can tell you is this... it can be done and it does work surprisingly, okay. For someone who's never driven a re-geared equivalent, they may not even know what they're missing.

Having said all that, recent circumstances forced us to upgrade our front axle sooner than we had planned for and, while we were at it, decided to just bite the bullet, take advantage of Off Road Evolution's $999 special and have our Jeep re-geared with a set of 5.13's at the same time. After testing them out extensively on the 2013 JK-Experience, all I can say is - why in the hell didn't we do this sooner!!

While the 3.6L motor has a good amount of power and will do a decent job of compensating for larger tires, it simply can't make up enough of a difference especially in situations like on long or steep hill climbs. Here, your transmission will try to help make up the difference by dropping gears and running your RPM's up close to 6 grand just to keep you moving. Of course, this will cause your engine and transmission to run really hot and in some cases, cause your Jeep to go into limp mode - ask me how I know. With a set of 5.13's, this will no longer be an issue as you'll have plenty of power to do the same job in a higher gear and running at a lower RPM. Of course, this is to say nothing about the fact that on the rocks, a set of 5.13's will also significantly improve your crawl ratio - running 37" tires on 4:10 gears, you'll go from a 3.36:1 to a full 4.21:1! Of course, for those would might complain about the increase in RPM at highway speeds, what I can tell you is that it's really insignificant. In fact, the difference you'll see when compared to a stock Rubicon running 32" tires and 4.10 gears is only about 200 RPM as you can see in the calculators below:

2012 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon - 32" Tires w/4.10 Gears
main.php

2012 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon - 37" Tires w/5.13 Gears
main.php

Trust me, if you're planning on running 35", 37" or bigger tires on your 2012-Up JK, you really will be doing yourself a BIG favor to get it re-geared at the same time. If you live in the SoCal area, be sure to take advantage of Off Road Evolutions $999 special too as it really is a deal that is hard to beat :yup:

I think we first Realize the Lack of power and Major drag and overheating of stock gears and 37s was when we were pre running with EVOlander and Dozer. Dozer was having a Hard time keeping up on the Hwy at speeds of 80+ and was even overheating. Then With EVO Landers drag race of a Turn Key 5.3 V8 swap and EVO Lander winning I was sold we needed to get the gearing of the 3.6 as close or lower than stock to show case all the power of the Engine and Great ratios of the new trans!!
EVOLander has 5.38 now with the 37 inch Nitto trails Yes the pinion is on the small side but I know a guy that can fix it if it breaks. Top speed Has been 100 mph and can cruise 80-90 no problem on 37s..

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
True story, I fell back at least a mile. Evo chase truck hauling a jeep had to slow down.

It stayed in 4th gear and was still to slow. 3rd gear was at the rev limiter
REGEAR is top on my list. Just need to get a pr44 first!

I have been feeling the same way. I used to be fine with it but I have been leaving it in 5th on the highway a lot more to get that extra out of it.

I wanna go fast!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Let's just say it'll be livable but, not something I would prefer to do.

Thank you for posting this eddie, now I just need to convince myself to save up for this finally. I have a '12 6 speed running 37s so would the 4.88 be better or the 5.13? I know on the charts they are very close

That's a tough call. With a 6-speed on a 12, I might say 4.88 is the way to go.

So regearing will bring back power and give you a little bit better milage?

For the most part, yes. Re-gearing will allow your engine to run more like it did stock and not work so hard to keep up with bigger tires. Where you might see MPG loss is if you drive fast on the highway as you will be running at a slightly higher RPM. But, again, the difference is only by about 200 RPM - not enough to really matter.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think we first Realize the Lack of power and Major drag and overheating of stock gears and 37s was when we were pre running with EVOlander and Dozer. Dozer was having a Hard time keeping up on the Hwy at speeds of 80+ and was even overheating. Then With EVO Landers drag race of a Turn Key 5.3 V8 swap and EVO Lander winning I was sold we needed to get the gearing of the 3.6 as close or lower than stock to show case all the power of the Engine and Great ratios of the new trans!!
EVOLander has 5.38 now with the 37 inch Nitto trails Yes the pinion is on the small side but I know a guy that can fix it if it breaks. Top speed Has been 100 mph and can cruise 80-90 no problem on 37s..

The pre-run was an eye-opening experience for us and, what ultimately got us wanting to re-gear. :yup:

JAGS

Hooked
and your 1310 drive shaft failers may not have happen with the proper gearing.

Let's just say it'll be livable but, not something I would prefer to do.

That's a tough call. With a 6-speed on a 12, I might say 4.88 is the way to go.

For the most part, yes. Re-gearing will allow your engine to run more like it did stock and not work so hard to keep up with bigger tires. Where you might see MPG loss is if you drive fast on the highway as you will be running at a slightly higher RPM. But, again, the difference is only by about 200 RPM - not enough to really matter.

So no issues with the 5.13s in the stock housings pushing the 37s. Seems to be recommended over the 4.88s for the '12 auto.

I always recommend gearing it Lower than stock if it is a built vehicle....Unless your looking for fuel mileage of a Prius in witch case you should go get a Prius....LOL

Paisano

Apparently 5:13's are the recommended gear for the 3.6 and 37's now. When I had mine done 4:88's were what was recommended.

Hohertz

What's recommended for the old 3.8L Auto with 35s looking to go to 37s? 5.13 would that be better than 4.88? Thanks!

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Or less of the skinny pedal. :cheesy:

As mentioned if I had the proper ratio I wouldn't have had to be into the skinny pedal. The crawl ratio is not there with factory gears and 37's.

I found myself getting the rpms up to keep it from stalling. Rockcrawling takes a big hit with the wrong gears.

Top Bottom