Do Yourself a Favor - Regear Your 2012-Up JK!!

jesse3638

Hooked
True story, I fell back at least a mile. Evo chase truck hauling a jeep had to slow down.

It stayed in 4th gear and was still to slow. 3rd gear was at the rev limiter
REGEAR is top on my list. Just need to get a pr44 first!

Hey Chris, I to have a manual and I'm heading towards 37's. What ratio do you think would work best? I was thinking 4:88 but this thread has me thinking now..haha

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Hey Chris, I to have a manual and I'm heading towards 37's. What ratio do you think would work best? I was thinking 4:88 but this thread has me thinking now..haha

I'm going with 5.13's at a minimum. That will get me back to the factory range. However it's heavier and takes more to get it rolling. So I might end up with 5.38's.

zeddjb

Any idea how much a shop would charge for an install? This looks like something that requires a little more skill than I have.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
I'm going with 5.13's at a minimum. That will get me back to the factory range. However it's heavier and takes more to get it rolling. So I might end up with 5.38's.

Good deal. I figured a little lower than stock wouldn't hurt anything. Just gonna build everything else up to handle the 37's then buy tires and come down to get a regear. Looking into PSC hydro assist and chromo axles now.

rtguy1

:idontknow: What's there to wonder. As mentioned, I had been hoping to upgrade to ProRock 60's before I needed to regear. I used the time as an experiment to see test out 4.10's and 37's and it did work just fine, 5.13's are just better.

Yeah I bet...way better. I'm sure you're loving the new ratio. :thumb:

similar to running shocks that are too long works, but running the correct length shocks works better...

andrew-

Works better? How so? That would mean less travel. Coil retainers do the trick. I guess rock krawler needs to redesign their kits and recommended shock lengths to paychex spec. Lmao you've been waiting to throw something out there huh. Funny. Don't be such a tool :thumb:
So what you're saying is that unseated coils due to shocks which are too long is.... Bad?

Internet=true. Don't do it. If your coil unseats your rig with spontaneously combust.

So you put that purdy rig of yours in the rocks yet? :beer:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Internet=true. Don't do it. If your coil unseats your rig with spontaneously combust.

So you put that purdy rig of yours in the rocks yet? :beer:

You're so cool, I'm going to take some photos of my rig on a trail just to earn your approval... Lol

So you know, there's nothing more I long for than you approval.

ttfhell

You're so cool, I'm going to take some photos of my rig on a trail just to earn your approval... Lol

So you know, there's nothing more I long for than you approval.

Um I thought your text last night mentioned longing for me? I hate second place.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Works better? How so? That would mean less travel. Coil retainers do the trick. I guess rock krawler needs to redesign their kits and recommended shock lengths to paychex spec. Lmao you've been waiting to throw something out there huh. Funny. Don't be such a tool :thumb:

i dont give a fuq what RK is running or how. once again, my KING 2.5s fit perfectly to my EVO plushride coils and NO unseating. what other people do to their rigs is their problem!

Why dont gingers wave at other WAYALIFE members when they see them on the freeway?

andrew-

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I bet...way better. I'm sure you're loving the new ratio. :thumb:

Oh yeah, loving it for sure. :yup:

Works better? How so?

Not trying to take sides here but, a well designed kit doesn't necessarily work better, it work "works properly". If your coils are unseating, the manufacturer incorrectly chose to provide shocks that were too long, plain and simple. If it really were such a good idea, Jeep would have incorporated that feature along with its e-disco on Rubicons. Fact of the matter is, coils that unseat can potential catch on things like jounce stops, brake lines and ABS lines and do damage them. Believe it or not, I have seen it happen.

That would mean less travel.

Travel isn't everything and too much travel can cause other problems as mentioned above.

Coil retainers do the trick.

Coil retainers are nothing more than a bandaid that can be ripped off just as easily. Again, this is something I have seen happen and if you play hard enough, it is something you would know that I am right about.

I guess rock krawler needs to redesign their kits and recommended shock lengths.

As a matter of fact, I do think RK should redesign their kits with shocks that are of the appropriate length rather than provide bandaids like spring retainer and try to sell it as a good design idea. Of course, that's just me.

Please, are the dramatics really necessary? I what I have seen is what I have seen but of course, you can choose to believe whatever it is you want to believe.

Again, not trying to take sides here, just sharing what I have seen. Me, I would never purposefully run shocks that are too long just for the sake of gaining a bit more droop but, I'm new to all this Jeep stuff and, what would I know. :)

Top Bottom