Dual + Single Steering Stabilizers?

Draconianwinter

Reading issues like this are why I wished I lived closer to cali, which is literally cleat across the country, so I could let evo do my lift for me. Then I would know it is done right.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jeepster nOOb

#Jackal01

I think the difference is quite obvious when you've at least experience DW. Uncontrollable and vicious jarring right to left and won't stop until you stop the vehicle (or to a creep and crawl). That is exactly what I have.

Open minded? Of course! That why I'm posting here...

Replacing pitman drop with stock and flipping my drag link for starters.

Bolts are torqued to spec according to the last 3 mechanics that have touched this JKU. I know that's not better than me doing it, but I don't own a good torque wrench (I'm all for someone showing me how to do this).
Bushing looks good and I've compared them to pictures online, but I'm not sure I know what I'm doing here (could use someone else's eyes)
I'll have to look up what my toe is and get back with you. Same with caster.
Track bar relocation bracket, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
That pitman arm doesn't look like a 6 inch drop to me, but regardless, it doesn't sound like bump steer is your issue. You need to have a helper turn your steering wheel back and forth and check all of your steering linkage and track bar ends for movement, including steering box itself. And check your hub bearings. If you have DW, you have play somewhere.

Sharkey

Word Ninja

So looking at this picture, your trackbar is making contact with one of your transmission cooler lines (I think that is the line, notice how the dirt is worn off) which causes me concern. Also, you can see where trackbar is also making contact with the bottom of the bolt on your pitman arm (see the silver paint scratched away). Finally, either the frame side trackbar bolt was retorqued without being re-marked, or it definitely has moved from its original position (notice the paint pen mark no longer lines up, yet the marks on the axle side still do). It looks like you have no more than .5 - 1.0" of up travel before your trackbar starts making contact with shit that doesn't move (the pitman arm bolt and most likely the frame side trackbar bracket). That ain't good.

I'm not saying these issues (at least the first one) is causing death wobble, but it definitely tells me your suspension is not set up correctly and is not working correctly.

Edit: The sleeve on wheel side of the drag link also seems really extended to me. It makes me wonder how many threads you even have inside of there.

Last edited:

Jeepster nOOb

Damn Sharkey, way to add more shi* to my lingering issues ;)

But what you brought up is something that I could bring to 4wheelparts to fix their mistakes considering they've done all of this work, I'm hoping. And I will NOT be paying for their screwups!

Journeyman

IMG_1477526289.373287.jpg IMG_1477526298.541449.jpg
I would measure the double adjuster nut on your drag link also. Synergy recommends max 3.25" and your Is looking pretty far out from the end of the tie rod to the center of the joint.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I think Sharkey nailed it. That trackbar that came with your lift doesn't look like it was designed to be used with a raised trackbar bracket. I'm betting the raised trackbar bracket came with your Synergy drag link. I think even if you take it back to 4WP, you'll have to end up with a new (or preferably your stock) trackbar.

I wish i had something to add to this but its pretty much covered...but i will say this...

First, take all that dogshit that 4wp sold you off your jeep and craigslist it.

Second, put as many factory components back on as you can. Then start checking for proper geometry and worn joints as stated earlier. And read the death wobble write up, carefully. You should be able to run with no stabilizer if everything is configured correctly. You may find its a cumulative effect of several small things that are inducing the DW like i did.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's more picture from below.

Okay, now that I see your track bar relocation bracket, are you really telling me that you checked every single one of those bolts securing it to the factory axle bracket for proper torque? Because, any bracket like this that isn't welded on really needs to have this done. I personally have seen multiple brackets like this tear off because of a lack of proper maintenance. You can have the track bar bolt on nice and tight but any of these other bolts are loose, they will cause enough movement to allow DW to occur. With each episode of DW, the problem only gets worse.

WJCO

Meme King
Okay, now that I see your track bar relocation bracket, are you really telling me that you checked every single one of those bolts securing it to the factory axle bracket for proper torque? Because, any bracket like this that isn't welded on really needs to have this done. I personally have seen multiple brackets like this tear off because of a lack of proper maintenance. You can have the track bar bolt on nice and tight but any of these other bolts are loose, they will cause enough movement to allow DW to occur. With each episode of DW, the problem only gets worse.

He hasn't checked them himself, which could be the issue.

Bolts are torqued to spec according to the last 3 mechanics that have touched this JKU. I know that's not better than me doing it, but I don't own a good torque wrench (I'm all for someone showing me how to do this).

ScoobyCarolanNC

Wow man. Well the good news is all the synergy stuff you got is nice. Get a torque wrench & the right pitman arm & you can get this sorted out on a Sunday.

Sent from my duck blind.

jmatta33

Ah death wobble... brings me back to the days of my first JKU... My Jeep was totaled before finding out what the cause of the death wobble was, but I also added dual stabilizers to mask the issue until it was fixed because it would feel like the front end was about to be ripped off any time I hit the slightest bump. At any rate, there is a lot of stuff you need to check and pretty much all of that has been covered, I just wanted to let you know I feel your pain and I hope you get this fixed because I know first hand how shitty DW can be...

Jeepster nOOb

I'd say I'm half way to a stabilized steering scenario. Flipped the synergy and replaced the drop pit for a stock pit and that improved the angles some, but there is still room for improvement - a stock track bar. My rubicon express track is a little off from parallel with my drag link.

What are y'alls opinions now ?

IMG_0666.JPG IMG_0667.jpg

Top Bottom